PDA

View Full Version : 2008 R1200rt

lvaliska
10-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Ok, I just picked up the only 2008 R1200RT the dealer had in stock. I've been keeping in touch with the sales team and when they called on friday to tell me they just got in a 2008 (silver) and would be taking it out of the crate and putting it on the showroom floor on Saturday, I told them to put a sold sign on it. I came in the next morning and rode it away. First impression, Great bike.... Second impression, Great bike..... Doesn't look like much has changed from the 2007s. On the 2007s the bottom part of the fairing is black, on the 2008s it's silver. The 2008s also have clear turn signal covers with amber bulbs. Other than that Its' probably the same. I've only got a couple hundred break-in miles on it. Can't wait for the 600 mi service.. Every time I get on it, I don't want to get off.
Lvaliska
R75
R65
K75RT
R1100RS
New R1200RT.

wfd103
10-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Congrats on the new bike. I have a '07RT and feel the same way you do when I'm riding it. Enjoy!!!:thumb

Effjay
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM
+1 on congrats on your purchase! This is the first I've heard on '08 units, but this is the month new models are suppose to arrive. So, yours is Titan Silver with silver lowers? I know some 07 owners had dealers swap lower fairings for a unicolor look. Also, clear lenses have been a common option for a few years. Are they standard equipment now? Anything else change? BMW's spec, option and pricing sheet is not yet updated on the web.

Jeff

1analguy
10-02-2007, 05:20 PM
There was no swapping required. I ordered my '07 with silver/silver and that's how it came in from BMW. It had the clear lenses too, but I believe that they were part of the "big" package...

screamineagle
10-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Hey,
Congrats on your new bike. I have an 07RT and it keeps getting better with more miles. Just had the 24,000 mile service and it seems to run even better. Hard to believe cuz it ran great from the first mile.

Good luck and happy miles to ya.

Bill

wezul
10-03-2007, 01:55 AM
I ordered my '07 with the silver lowers, but did not opt for the clear lenses, too boy racer for an old man like me. Cool man, I really dig my RT, it's an all day sucker, for sure, so very comfortable even with the stock standard seat so many have poo-poo'd (I did add an Alaska Buttpad that has helped with the "sliding forward").

I hope you enjoy and how about some pics!

lvaliska
10-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Dealer says silver lowers and clear turn signal covers are standard on 2008s, I don't know for sure. I don't know how the brakes work on the 2007s but on mine the front is linked the foot brake just activates the rear brake. Sales guy called today, told him I was riding easy breaking it in, he said just to ride it normally. Just don't keep it at redline for too long, but definately don't baby it. Just ride and it will break in better.. Nice to know. the seat feels good to me. I'll know more after I get a few 6 or 7 hour rides under my belt. A friend has a 2007 with a russel seat that felt pretty good, but I think I'll wait a while and see how it goes. BMW seem to have improved the seat over the years. I had a K75RT where the seat was not just uncomfortable, it was painful. This seat feels better...
Lvaliska

Tom K.
10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Dealer says silver lowers and clear turn signal covers are standard on 2008s, I don't know for sure. I don't know how the brakes work on the 2007s but on mine the front is linked the foot brake just activates the rear brake. Sales guy called today, told him I was riding easy breaking it in, he said just to ride it normally. Just don't keep it at redline for too long, but definately don't baby it. Just ride and it will break in better.. Lvaliska

All years for the 1200RT have (partially) linked brakes as you've described. Beginning in 2007, the power assist was dropped.

You might want to read your owner's manual re break-in. Admittedly it's a controversial subject, but BMW recommends a maximum of 4,000RPM for the first 600 miles - that's 1/2 of redline!
Tom

BobMielke
10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Can't help but smile when I read of someone getting a new RT. I bought the 2nd one to hit the state of SC when they first appeared in April 2005. I owned a 2001 K1200LTC that I rode for 4 years and 68,000 miles. The RT was quite a change from the LT. On the 110 mile ride home from the dealer all I could think of was "Whooooopieeee! This is a fun bike to ride! Now my favorite Beemer has 42,500 miles on her and still puts a smile on my face evry time I look at her or ride. Enjoy yours!!!!!
http://bobmielke.smugmug.com/photos/174496235-M.jpg

gulfcoastbeemer
10-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Congrats!

We have two RTs in the family. My wife has a tricked-out '05, and I have an '07.

bmwdean
10-14-2007, 09:27 PM
From your report on the '08s, it sounds like they are identical to the 07s (mine pictured below).

Silver or black lowers were optional from '05 on.

http://bmwdean.home.att.net/blue-rt.jpg

wharthog
07-29-2008, 04:19 AM
I'm looking at buying an '06 with only 3200 miles on it... anyone know of any problems with '06s or improvements that were made for '07. I know there were transmission improvements on the K bike from '06 to '07...

tbryant
07-29-2008, 05:03 AM
The main thing to look at on the 06's is to inspect very closely the seam where the engine and transmission mate up. If there is any "moisture" or what appears to be a beard around that area, be cautious about the transmission input seal...a very expensive repair. If the one you are looking at is very low on the odometer it may not be present or a problem. Mine appeared to have this issue so we cleaned it very well at approx 38K and now at 47K it has not returned. I have heard some guys have actually had drops of fluid on the floor, I have not experienced this. Good luck and good riding!!

Terry

greenwald
07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Good Choice!

I have an '05, that I bought brand-new in Spring of '06.

28,000+ miles on it already, and just love throwing a leg over it every time!

Enjoy!!!!

P.S.: Where are you from? What part of the planet do you ride in?

WDaigle
07-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Congrats on your new RT. It's a great bike to ride. It seems to almost be responding to your thoughts when riding. I bought my 06 model in May of 06 and now have 42,600 miles on it with no major problems. Mine is grey with dark lowers and amber signal lenses. I purchased the low seat since I am slighly vertically challenged and use an Airhawk pad. It's great, Iv'e ridden many 12 hour days with very little disscomfort. On top of it all it gets great fuel mileage, average 50+ MPG. I averaged 50.5 MPG on my trip to Wyoming and the national and got upwards of 63 MPG on individual tanks.
You made a great choice, you're going to love it.