PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank issues

10-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Couple of issues about my r1200st. 1) Ran out of gas with 12miles showing on the low fuel range. That seemed ok but it took only about 4.5 gal when I filled it. I fill it on the side stand to to the base of the metal fill receptacle, up to the oblong opening in the base of the filler neck. 2) When I open the filler cap to fuel the bike there is a lot of suction on the filler cap. Have to tug pretty hard to get it open.
Any ideas?

rkasal
10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
2) When I open the filler cap to fuel the bike there is a lot of suction on the filler cap. Have to tug pretty hard to get it open.
Any ideas?

Maybe you need to start lifting weights! :stick

Regards,

Randy Kasal

10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Maybe you need to start lifting weights! :stick

Regards,

Randy Kasal

I bench 340! Seriously though, should there be a vacuum in the gas tank

cjack
10-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I bench 340! Seriously though, should there be a vacuum in the gas tank

NO. Your venting system is plugged somehow. And, it could be that the gas tank is sucked in and holding less gas. You need to have your dealer look at it.
I bench at about 178.

10-02-2007, 02:05 AM
NO. Your venting system is plugged somehow. And, it could be that the gas tank is sucked in and holding less gas. You need to have your dealer look at it.
I bench at about 178.

Thanks Chuck,
I'll take in tomorrow. That would probably explain some of the strange things going on with my range. I don't really bench....no idea what i could lift!

Gene F.

mtboulder
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I've seen a few posts on the R1200's where the tank vent hose gets squeezed shut if the tank is replaced with the hose underneath it. I've read cases of the plastic tanks on the R1200RTs getting "sucked in" by the vacuum causing the tank to deform and slide into the front forks.

By any chance did you have any service performed recently where the gas tank would have to come off (brake bleed maybe?). You really have to be careful when you replace the tank that you do not pinch off the vent hose.

10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I've seen a few posts on the R1200's where the tank vent hose gets squeezed shut if the tank is replaced with the hose underneath it. I've read cases of the plastic tanks on the R1200RTs getting "sucked in" by the vacuum causing the tank to deform and slide into the front forks.

By any chance did you have any service performed recently where the gas tank would have to come off (brake bleed maybe?). You really have to be careful when you replace the tank that you do not pinch off the vent hose.

I just recently bought the bike. Thanks, that gives me an excellent starting point for the troubleshoot.

10-03-2007, 12:11 AM

A pinched vent line was exactly the the problem. It gets squeezed in the right front gas tank mount. I owe you a cold one!