PDA

View Full Version : Large Tail Trunk Failure - Anyone else?

grw
10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm on my second warranty claim for a large R1200RT tail trunk (I believe the same trunk fits the K1200GT). I am curious whether others have seen this problem.

My first trunk, acquired when I purchased the bike in 5/06, lasted until the third week in August 2007. At that time the latch mechanism failed and would not close. This was proceeded by several weeks of very stiff operation. My wife was unable to open the trunk (she couldn't put enough pressure on the lock button).

My dealer, BMWOR, quickly replaced the trunk for me under warranty (Thanks, Guys!) and I presumed that was the end of it.

A week later, after returning from a long trip, the new trunk latching mechanism failed. I had just unloaded the bike (including the liner bag from the tail trunk) and when I went to close the trunk the latch broke and would not operate.

The second trunk was repaired by the dealer at no cost and is awaiting me at the service desk. I will pick it up this week.

The latches in the side bags have been fine.

-Gary

lensuz
10-01-2007, 07:25 PM
At times, there is too much pressure (loading) on the opening lever. Pressing inward on the lever when pressing the "button" removes the pressure and allows easy opening. Same applies to the saddle bag latches.