PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT Likes and Dislikes?

empeg9000
10-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I am considering trading in my R1100S for an RT. Anyone want to comment on what they like to don't like about theirs?

Anyone have the BMW tank bag and if so do you like it?

What kind of mileage do you get?

darrylri
10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
I can't comment directly on your 1100S or the 1200RT, but I own an R1100RS and an R1200ST. The 1200 motor is big improvement, and not just because it has more HP (which is way down on my criteria list).

For one thing, the 1200 gets great gas mileage. Out here in California, with the adulterated gas we have, I would struggle to make 40mpg on the 1100 (and the R1150RS I had). But just yesterday I got 243 miles out of 5.2 gallons (47 mpg).

The motor is not as smooth at all rev ranges, but certainly not bothersome. It's clearly got more torque lower down, however.

While you'll have a hard time noticing it, going from an S to an RT, the 1200s are very much lighter bikes than the previous generations. It's very clear at low speed maneuvers.

One way BMW lightened things is with the new (as of 2007) ABS system, which eliminates the "whizzy brakes" of the last 5 or 6 years, and cuts nearly 20lbs. off. The new brakes just work, like you'd expect them to.

The new saddlebags are more capacious than the old ones, and more flexible, too. You can leave them locked to the bike even though the covers are unlocked. All of the mechanical bits are smaller and lighter than the old generation. And when they come off, there's even less mounting hardware visible.

Another small thing is that the new bikes seem to have a real sidestand, not some little dagger that puts the bike at a precarious angle.

Now to the downsides. Maybe the biggest annoyance is that if you want to add an electrical doodad, you've pretty much got to add a second wiring harness, to get around the CANbus. That means that if you want a shelf full of electronics on your new RT, you'll probably first have to buy one of the fuse boxes that are available and wire it directly to the battery.

Are you a worry wart? Two words: final drive.

hlothery
10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
What's not to like about the RT?

I have no substantial complaints. I had a problem early with the oil level indicator light, which was solved with an upgrade on the float (which is already standard on subsequent models). I ride mostly two-up, and we love it. The power is awesome, the suspension smooth and able. We have the large topcase, and have had plenty of storage space for our daytrips and long trips. I get about 52 MPG around town, but got 64 MPG on the Natchez trace last summer at 50MPH in 5th gear. It has been gentle on tires, and uses less and less oil as the miles increase (now nearing 23K). Have had no other problems, just routine maintenance, and hours and hours of exciting, comfortable riding. The cruise control is awesome, and the heated seats and grips have come in handy on brisk Texas mornings in winter. Like I said......what's not to like? :clap

osbornk
10-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I ride frequently with a good friend who has a new R1200RT. He lover the mid-50s fuel mileage and power but doesn't like the height. A 29" inseam does not work well with the bike. He can handle it with some effort but I can't. Of course he has ridden a GS for about 20 years with his 29" inseam and I couldn't do it on a bet.

empeg9000
10-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I
For one thing, the 1200 gets great gas mileage. Out here in California, with the adulterated gas we have, I would struggle to make 40mpg on the 1100 (and the R1150RS I had). But just yesterday I got 243 miles out of 5.2 gallons (47 mpg).

I did notice on the Demo I rode the onboard ECU said it was getting 49 avg mpg. I thought that was pretty good since it only has 1K on it and people are probably flogging it.

While you'll have a hard time noticing it, going from an S to an RT, the 1200s are very much lighter bikes than the previous generations. It's very clear at low speed maneuvers.
I actually thought it felt very light considering it was 650 full with fuel. I also thought it was very easy to handle around the parking lot. Easier than my S.

One way BMW lightened things is with the new (as of 2007) ABS system, which eliminates the "whizzy brakes" of the last 5 or 6 years, and cuts nearly 20lbs. off. The new brakes just work, like you'd expect them to.

The brakes were a pleasant surprise and really hauled that thing down.

The new saddlebags are more capacious than the old ones, and more flexible, too. You can leave them locked to the bike even though the covers are unlocked. All of the mechanical bits are smaller and lighter than the old generation. And when they come off, there's even less mounting hardware visible.
I actually think they are smaller than the ones on my S. My S has the 30L bags. Still I can get a top case on this which is another 30L. I like the ability to open them without the key though as long as they are unlocked.

Now to the downsides. Maybe the biggest annoyance is that if you want to add an electrical doodad, you've pretty much got to add a second wiring harness, to get around the CANbus.

Yes that is a bummer but I only want to add heated gear, GPS, and maybe autocom after a while

Are you a worry wart? Two words: final drive.

I am not!!

I don't know, that why I am asking! :nyah

I ride frequently with a good friend who has a new R1200RT. He lover the mid-50s fuel mileage and power but doesn't like the height. A 29" inseam does not work well with the bike. He can handle it with some effort but I can't. Of course he has ridden a GS for about 20 years with his 29" inseam and I couldn't do it on a bet.
I am 6'1" so the height isn't a problem for me.

henzilla
10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Sitting upright is the biggest difference I would think!:D I have a 12GS & an RT. Also an older 1100R that still does it's thing, which is a great LD platform.

Just back from MOA Open House on the GS and a 1000 mile round trip jaunt to Big Bend for dinner last Saturday night on the RT. After riding a 80 lb lighter bike in the twisties of Arkansas & MO, the RT felt heavy...for a few miles. The range of the RT is awesome even recorded 60MPG in Taos in altitude. It is great for getting out of the wind and the rain as opposed to the Nekkid R & minimal GS protection. I am 6'1" also with a 32" inseam...no problems. I feel guilty raising the windshiled when riding with the R's in a storm!well a little as I ride one too. The cruise control is a def plus...did miss that on the GS even with throttle lock.

And I thought dry, the RT is 505 lbs? fuel load cannot be 150 lbs...can it?
Adding electrical items is not a problem, I have all you mention and then some ( I am the charging station for the group at times!)The CANBUS is not hoodoo voodoo or to be feared!

I also have the BMW tankbag...It is very cavernous, the map pocket is kind of snug. .But, the BMW clicks on/off so easily which is nice...Mine came with it, but was told it is an $$$$ bag. I use the Touratech flat bag almost all the time now as it has a removable map pocket and a low profile.
The new bags are shaped better if not any bigger than your S ones and seem so much more secure ...have lost old style, haven't on the new ones...but they do scratch very easily as opposed to forgiving ABS plastic older style ( read RE-PAINT)

You rode it so you know it has the umph...Can you have both?

rgmanley
10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
The current version of this venerable steed is the best ever.

The 1200 engine is much smoother than previous generations-still not as smooth as a K, but very acceptable. Also seems to vibrate more when pulling into a strong headwind.

This bike is excellent for multi-day, cross-country journey or just running around the local hills for a day. Stock BMW seat has received many negative comments. I replaced mine with a Day-Long.

Cruise control is a great feature and I believe the 1200's are the first R bikes to have it.

The BMW tank bag system, although the mounting looks ugly, it's great. It takes between 1 and 2 secs to remove the bag for fuel and another 2 sec to replace it.

Hooking up accessories. The RT comes wired from the factory with a connector in a harness for their GPS. You an add other farkles to this if you get the connecting plug from your BMW dealer. On mine, an early '05, the dealer was unaware of this feature, so we installed another accessory plug under the dash that is fused and directly connected to the battery. The RT comes standard with one acc plug in the left fairing.

Mileage. Can't complain here. Over the last 24,000 miles, my average is 52.85 mpg. High around 68 (putting around in Colorado mtns and low 42 acorss the plains of SD into a strong headwind at 78 MPH).

I honestly believe that it is running better now with 24K miles than ever before.

Ron
'05 R1200RT

victorlipp
10-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I am considering trading in my R1100S for an RT. Anyone want to comment on what they like to don't like about theirs?

I bought one this spring, April, and never thought that I'd like a bike so much! No complaints, a little top heavy compared to other "cruiser" bikes that I have owned, but not a problem; the mirrors are a little "iffy" for a good rear view, again not a "biggy" and actually like the protection that they provide. All else is great, performance is outstanding. I added a tank bag and like the added space for storing the items that need to be handy; it is "just not there" when riding, a great, but "pricey" addition. Also I replaced the stock windshield with a "Cee Bailey" and very much appreciate the difference that this made. We ride almost entirely "two-up" and the on-board computer says that gives us 4.9 litres per 100 Km. (about 340 miles per tank). Is mileage really a concern??
Buy it, you'll love it!:heart

Tom K.
10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I actually think they are smaller than the ones on my S. My S has the 30L bags. Still I can get a top case on this which is another 30L. I like the ability to open them without the key though as long as they are unlocked.
Actually, the bags each have a 32 liter capacity - and are even more convenient with optional removable liners. There are 2 top cases, 28 and 49 liters - with the latter valuable for two up travel both in terms of size and backrest comfort.
Coming from a 1500 GoldWing, I'm constantly impressed by how stable the 300 lb. lighter RT is at interstate speeds, and also by the excellent weather protection.
My biggest complaint was the stock (low) seat which I found to be very uncomfortable after 60 miles or so - Rick Mayer has remedied that and the OEM heat is intact.
Gas mileage (actual - the computer is consistently 3% high) has varied between 44 and 57 with an average for 18,000 miles of 50.5 mpg.
Tom

osbornk
10-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Cruise control is a great feature and I believe the 1200's are the first R bikes to have it.

Ron
'05 R1200RT

I think cruise was first on the CLC in 03

henzilla
10-02-2007, 12:57 AM
the mirrors are a little "iffy" for a good rear view, again not a "biggy" and actually like the protection that they provide.

added some K1200RS mirrors to empty mounting holes and solved even that small annoyance!

empeg9000
10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
And I thought dry, the RT is 505 lbs? fuel load cannot be 150 lbs...can it?
You are right. Its 7-8 lbs per gallon depending on who you ask. According to the brochure it weighs 561 full. It was the K-GT I was thinking off.

I am going back today for a second test drive and talk some numbers. They offered me a fair deal on my trade and I keep all my toys and I will return my bike to stock. They threw in the top box but I would like to get more off the bike since its an '07 or at least get more accessories.

I thought about that but I think the RT will make the S a little redundant. If I had a GS or was buying a GS then I probably would try.

greenwald
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Hopefully, short and to the point, as you have gotten a lot of good advice from previous comments.

If my '05 R1200RT was (God forbid!) stolen or wrecked, I'd go out tomorrow and buy another one without a moment's hesitation. Awesome bike for comfort, reliability and options.

Mine is equiped with mirror signals, larger kickstand foot, kneepads on the sides of the tank, both BMW trunks (one at a time!), modulating headlight, PIAA driving lights, compass, SW Motech tankbag, Cee Bailey windshield, Sargent seats, extended front fender and flashing brake light.

Have ridden many bikes over the last 25+ years, both personally (Honda, Suzuki, BMW) and professionally (Motor Officer - Harley-Davidson), and this is by far the best mount I've ever owned. Buy it.

FredRydr
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
One cool thing is that the RT looks like the Venutian in It Conquered the World. (http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12566)

Fred

henzilla
10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I thought about that but I think the RT will make the S a little redundant. If I had a GS or was buying a GS then I probably would try.

I guess that is why I let the other R1150R gorecently ..The GS kind of made it an extra. Good luck in your search & dealings

bpdougd
10-02-2007, 04:17 PM
[...]and a 1000 mile round trip jaunt to Big Bend for dinner last Saturday night on the RT.

I also have the BMW tankbag...It is very cavernous, the map pocket is kind of snug. .But, the BMW clicks on/off so easily which is nice...Mine came with it, but was told it is an $$$$ bag. I use the Touratech flat bag almost all the time now as it has a removable map pocket and a low profile.

Not to hijack this interesting conversation, but, I am heading down to Austin on the 10th of October to visit my son. We are going to head over to Big Bend for 3 or 4 days of backpacking. Any suggestions on a good "scenic route" for our ride to and from Big Bend?

Also, since you have both the BMW and Touratech tank bags, which do you prefer? I plan to get one prior to leaving for Austin.

And, back to the topic - I have owned and ridden lots of different bikes in my 59 years on the planet. My 07 RT is my first BMW. For every purpose except daily commuting in heavy traffic, it is the best two-wheeled transportation I have ever had. The only negatives for me are the height (I am 5'8" with a 29" inseam) and the seat (which I think is banned under the Geneva Convention as cruel and unusual punishment :D )

Digtlartst
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM

1. BMW stock shocks are barely mediocre. Swap them ASAP with Ohlins or Wilbers.

2. I have the BMW tank bag and like it a lot. It even looks good.

3. I get about 47mpg around town.

empeg9000
10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
1. BMW stock shocks are barely mediocre. Swap them ASAP with Ohlins or Wilbers.

2. I have the BMW tank bag and like it a lot. It even looks good.

3. I get about 47mpg around town.
I did note the shocks seemed to wallow a little but I have no idea how the preload was set. I am going back form a second ride tonight with pillion so I will crank that up and see how it is.
Thanks for the tank bag and mileage comments. I think I will try getting the tankbag out of them.

RINTY
10-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Saab guys that ski on Volkl's should only ride S's. :)

Rinty

podsobinski
10-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Am I missing something here? What is not to like about the RT when you compare it to any other similar bike that fits the nitch the BMW RT falls into.
1. Weight: 50 to 100 pounds lighter then comparable bikes.
2. Load capacity: 100 pounds more than most (could hold the record)
3. BMW options: wow need I say more
4. Power: listed at 110 hp compared to oil heads wow!
you'll get more from a 4 cyclinder but then add weight
5. Old school: those cyclinders are still there in plain veiw.
6. After market options: starting to catch up

I love my touratech gas tank bag, great fit on the frame and easy to tilt to put gas in.
Motolights went on easily brushed aluminum matches forks.'
Autocom with my radio/CD etc. is great.

Shocks with the ESA works great no issues there. Maybe at 50,000 I will change them but they work fine.
Put me alone and I will keep up with my ZX1400 buddy on curves, put my wife on and we are off for weeks, or head out on Iron lButts and the miles go by.

gpodzo

henzilla
10-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Not to hijack this interesting conversation, but, I am heading down to Austin on the 10th of October to visit my son. We are going to head over to Big Bend for 3 or 4 days of backpacking. Any suggestions on a good "scenic route" for our ride to and from Big Bend?

Also, since you have both the BMW and Touratech tank bags, which do you prefer? I plan to get one prior to leaving for Austin.
)

sorry for the double hijack empeg9000, how did the second test go???

codougd,
I'll PM you when I get back from movienite or Wednesday morning concerning routes..I truly like the Touratech tankbag better, larger removable map pocket, seems to be more waterproof...really have tested that well! a little lower profile and after you install the velcro tab under front seat lip and the twin knob front mount under the silver rail...comes on/off easily for fueling

njnear
10-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Don't likes:
vibration (especially in the handlebars)
seat too narrow and too soft
factory windscreen is too short (I'm 6')
bottom end (no torque, engine is useless below 2000 rpm)
low fuel warning comes on way too early
computer tells me 0 miles to empty when I have 1 gallon left in tank

electric windscreen
large gas tank
gas mileage
handling
cruise
heated grips/seat
computer
riding position
wow factor
fun factor

no tank bag

Gas mileage was 50-55 mpg w/ stock windscreen at 60-65 mph
Mileage w/ 2" overstock Cee Bailey is 45-50 at 60-65

Ride Safe

Digtlartst
10-03-2007, 01:08 AM
I did note the shocks seemed to wallow a little but I have no idea how the preload was set. I am going back form a second ride tonight with pillion so I will crank that up and see how it is.
Thanks for the tank bag and mileage comments. I think I will try getting the tankbag out of them.

The wallowing has little to do with preload. The damping on the stock shocks, especially rebound damping, is awful. It's all about stability and control you can only get from good shocks, regardless of load, on any surface, at any cornering angle, whether touring the slab or flogging through switchbacks. Ride a stock RT, then ride one with good shocks and you'll be astounded at the difference. BMW offers factory Ohlins on the R1200S for a reason.

empeg9000
10-03-2007, 12:34 PM
sorry for the double hijack empeg9000, how did the second test go???

Good. I rode two up with a lady friend. I could barely tell the passenger was there. I didn't talk any numbers and I just left. I will give him a call today and see if something can be worked out.

The wallowing has little to do with preload. The damping on the stock shocks, especially rebound damping, is awful. It's all about stability and control you can only get from good shocks, regardless of load, on any surface, at any cornering angle, whether touring the slab or flogging through switchbacks. Ride a stock RT, then ride one with good shocks and you'll be astounded at the difference. BMW offers factory Ohlins on the R1200S for a reason.
Well wallow may not have been the proper term but after having set up the preload a little more correctly the bike handled much better in most situations. I have Ohlins on my S so I do know the benefits and they may be a future upgrade but its not my primary concern right now.

FredRydr
10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Saab guys that ski on Volkl's should only ride S's. :)Depends which Saab. If just an LPT wagon, then an R is more appropriate. :)

Fred
'07 R1200R
'02 LPT wagon
'05 Rossies

1analguy
10-04-2007, 03:58 AM
The RT (with a full tank) weighs 530 lbs. without the saddle bags, and 570 lbs. with the bags (but no top case). That means that my RT (a full-fairing touring bike) is 100 lbs. lighter than my stripped-down Harley "chopper", and the RT carries 2.5 gallons MORE fuel than the Night Train! Normally my attitude regarding bike weight is: so what - I don't have to carry the bike, it has to carry me...but the RT is a LOT easier to maneuver around the driveway when I'm sitting on it than the Harley is, even though the seat on the Harley is 7-8 inches lower.

I have the BMW tank bag. Like the other BMW accessories that I have, it is VERY well made. It fits perfectly and securely and pops on and off in a snap, though there's no provision for locking it on.

I've never seen less than 46 mpg. My round-trip work commute (about 1/2 city and 1/2 county highway) of about 40 miles usually yields around 49-51 mpg. At a steady 40mph in 4th it'll do about 64 mpg, at 50 in 6th it'll do about 57 mpg.

empeg9000
10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Depends which Saab. If just an LPT wagon, then an R is more appropriate. :)

Fred
'07 R1200R
'02 LPT wagon
'05 Rossies

Well I have a hopped up 9000 turbo with Aero seats and close to 300hp and a 9-5 LPT.

BILLP
10-04-2007, 06:04 PM

I have no substantial complaints. I had a problem early with the oil level indicator light, which was solved with an upgrade on the float (which is already standard on subsequent models). I ride mostly two-up, and we love it. The power is awesome, the suspension smooth and able. We have the large topcase, and have had plenty of storage space for our daytrips and long trips. I get about 52 MPG around town, but got 64 MPG on the Natchez trace last summer at 50MPH in 5th gear. It has been gentle on tires, and uses less and less oil as the miles increase (now nearing 23K). Have had no other problems, just routine maintenance, and hours and hours of exciting, comfortable riding. The cruise control is awesome, and the heated seats and grips have come in handy on brisk Texas mornings in winter. Like I said......what's not to like? :clap

You must be very judicious with the throttle!

FredRydr
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Well I have a hopped up 9000 turbo with Aero seats and close to 300hp and a 9-5 LPT.Well my '98 9000CSE 5-speed was a stocker but well-kept...until its sudden and violent end last September, from the rear by a 3/4-ton PU (plastered with Harley stickers and Harley mudflaps) going 50 mph. What a fantastic design that was - took it like a big pillow. Sorry, the parts are all gone.

Did I mention I have a motorcycle? (Talk about hijacking a thread!)

Fred

empeg9000
10-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Well my '98 9000CSE 5-speed was a stocker but well-kept...until its sudden and violent end last September, from the rear by a 3/4-ton PU (plastered with Harley stickers and Harley mudflaps) going 50 mph. What a fantastic design that was - took it like a big pillow. Sorry, the parts are all gone.

Oh that sucks! They are a very safe car though. Reasonably fast, call haul a lot of stuff, and get good gas mileage.

Did I mention I have a motorcycle? (Talk about hijacking a thread!)

Fred
HA! No biggie. I can talk cars as well as or better than bikes!

Tom K.
10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
The RT (with a full tank) weighs 530 lbs. without the saddle bags, and 570 lbs. with the bags (but no top case).

BMW Claims (without bags) 505 lbs. dry and 571 wet (gas tank 90% full). Motorcycle mags have consistently measured around 630 wet - probably with bags, so the actual wet weight with no bags seems to be ca. 600.
Tom

azrtrdr
10-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Along with all else that has been mentioned, I like that I can remove all of the luggage and have all of the sportness that I can use on the public roads. And it is comfortable, too.

BobMielke
10-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I have a 2005 R1200RT I bought new in April 2005. It now has 42,550 miles on her. I love the handling, comfort, power, cruise control & incredible brakes. I get 43 mpg in the city & 53-54 on open highway at 60 mph. I've added GS mirrors to be able to see behind me. The stock fairing mounted ones are useless. I've had a custom front seat done since BMW knows nothing about comfortable seats. I love Bridgestone BattleAx tires that give super grip & performance in wet weather. I've tried Road Pilots And Metzeler Z6 also. I get 365 miles from a tank of gas at highway pace. I love this bike. I've gad a K100, R1200C & K1200LTC before this bike. The R1200RT tops them all. Here's my bike as it looks now with 42,500 miles on it.
http://bobmielke.smugmug.com/photos/174496235-M.jpg

empeg9000
10-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I like hearing all these high mileage stories and everyone's bikes are still looking pretty good. It looks like the deal may be happening for me. I will post pics if/when it happens.

wsteinborn
10-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I hate my RT.

It is going to get me a ticket.

I'll think I am going 55MPH, look down, and see 75 or more.

Aaaargh!

At least with my Sportster, I could tell it was going so fast from all the noise and such.

:brad

gulfcoastbeemer
10-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I've been riding for 40 years and have never owned a more capable and enjoyable motorcycle.

I do have the BMW tank bag. I LOVE it.

My wife also has an RT. Her's is an '05.

We both get around 52-55 miles per gallon riding Florida back roads.

We both have V-Stream windshields, and she has a Remus exhaust system.

Likes: Handling, performance, low-end torque, brakes, weight, range, fuel-economy, ESA suspension, aerodynamics, cruise-control, luggage system, tire pressure monitoring system, computer, ease of maintenance, overall fit and finish, heated seat and grips, and engine/rider heat management.

Dislikes: I wish the, otherwise exceptional, radio had intergrated controls for an iPod.

cptchaos
10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I love my new Rt. I had an 100Rt and later a 1100rt and liked both of them The new Rt is a major upgrade. All of the minor issues I had with the 1100 were more than fixed with the 1200. The Rts in general do a lot of things well. I got one of the first ones in 2005 and ride it every day. I had a problem with the front brakes warping it was fixed on warranty. (mounting nuts striped out and they reblaced the front rim). I have the tank bag and find easy to mount and dismount. I wish the bag had some type of locking system.

bmwdean
10-18-2007, 04:09 PM
My comments are found below:

http://bmwdean.home.att.net/r1200rt.htm

http://bmwdean.home.att.net/12rt-big.jpg

darcym
10-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey Dean -

that's a nice looking RT - thanks for sharing your website too. Very Informative.

Question: What's with the discoloration of the header pipes? Is that normal? I saw at one dealer's website that "chrome pipes" were an option, what's up with that? If the stock header pipes aren't chrome what are they?

Question 2: Does the Kissan signal minder work on the RT? I have one on my R1150R, I don't know if it will swap over.

Question 3: Are the fuel Quick Disconnects the same as on the R1150R? I've ordered the metal (Quantum) QD's because the stock ones on the R failed, but I won't put them on the R if I need to save them to replace on the RT.

thanks for any info - I'll be looking at a black 06 RT this weekend. :D

empeg9000
10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey Dean -
Question: What's with the discoloration of the header pipes? Is that normal? I saw at one dealer's website that "chrome pipes" were an option, what's up with that? If the stock header pipes aren't chrome what are they?

Well I only know the answer to the first one. The header pipes are made of Stainless steel. When you get the bike new they are nicely polished. When they get warm they tend to brown. Some people are really anal and keep them polished up, some people jsut let them brown since its a ton of work. I used to keep them really polished on my R1100S because you could see all of the pipe work. For something quick to use while washing the bike I recommend S100 Polishing Soap (http://www.s100.com/s100_fr.htm). It works wonders.

greenwald
10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Ditto for everything empeg9000 mentioned.

In addition, don't waste $$ on the extra chrome package ($140?). Have seen bikes with the enhanced chrome - which is just a layer of chrome bonded onto the stainless steel - it turned brownish anyways after enough miles.

Jap bike makers and H-D double-wall their exhaust systems. The outer wall is heavily chromed, while the inner pipe takes the most heat abuse. Wish BMW would have done that too, but they have always been weight concisous and a little different anyways, so oh well.

RINTY
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
My BMW specialist had the header pipes on on his 1150 GS ceramic coated in some sort of a satin silver finish. It looks really good.

I have read that the problem with the BMW coatings is that they have to compromise them to satisfy green laws in Germany.

Enjoy your new bike, Empeg! I've ridden a number of the 1200's and they are wonderful machines.

Rinty

LENRT1200ST
10-19-2007, 02:41 PM

What? Aren't they supposed to dis-color? Chrome pipes, shiney pipes...we don't need no stinkin' shiney pipes!:stick

All my Triumph Bonneville's had dis-colored pipes. A badge of honor, I say. :brow

To each, his or her own, chrome or blue/brown, let's go riding.

Len

jld2872
10-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I rented a 2007 model in Salt Lake City last month and rode it all over southern Utah for 5 days. I have to say that it is a very impressive bike. I have a R1100R at home and the RT is an impressive step up. I loved the heated grips, electronic cruise control and adjustable windscreen and the fuel economy. It is heavy, but rides like it isn't. I did not like the mirrors--with my dry bags strapped on the pillion, I could barely see behind me. If I owned one, I would try to fit mirrors like I have on the 1100R. Hard to imagine that you wouldn't love the RT. Good Luck!

DocZ
10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Which is a record for me.

What do I not like?
*while I love ESA, the shocks could be of better quality.
*as usual, boxer footpegs need help, or need extensions on brake & shift levers - and YES, I know these are readily available.
*"fartish" exhaust sound. PC but could be a tad more roarty. Yes, I know -"fix" readily available.
*Dave Searle was right when the 05 was tested in MCN- pita to clean the beast. I need an assistant.

Bottom line - I have to be pretty picky to find anything to complain about...well, she is a tad tubby but less so than the Lard Bottom competition.

If my wonky sports damaged knee gets worse, a lowered GS would be in my future.