PDA

View Full Version : New R1200RT

BigAdv
09-27-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi, Ive had my RT for about one month now and I have been doing a lot of reading here and on other forums. So I have a pretty good idea of what im going to do to it.
1. CalSi windsield
2. risers (fabricate them my self)
3. peg lowering kit (suberban)
4. Driving lamps (piaa minis?)
5. HID's in the low beams
6. seat (?)
Six is the one I dont know which to get. My RT has the factory heated seat that I dont want to loose. Also the look of some of them is less than desireable . so asking for feed back on a few of them.

A. Cee Baileys
B. Spencers seat mods(greatdaytoride.com)

Ive heard alot about the others, sargent, corbin, myers, rusell, etc.

I guess im looking for a seat that offers better comfort that the stock( the stock is not bad but not great)and that looks like it belongs on the bike. Is this too much to ask(hope) for? any feed back would be great as well as other options that I have not found.

Thanks

Earl

professor
09-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm considering a new RT or a Kawasaki Concuours 1400 or a Honda ST1300.

I'd appreciate any feedback - good or bad - on your new RT or anyone's experience with the other two bikes.

greenwald
09-27-2007, 12:26 PM
To The Professor: I'm on my 2nd year with an R1200RT (21,000+ miles so far) and love it. However, more to the point of your comment, my son purchased an '07 Honda ST1300, taking delivery of it in April of this year.

I have had more than a few opportunities to ride it, and while it throbs with reserve power, and accelerates like the wind, I much prefer the BMW.

The R1200RT suspension provided a much smoother ride over similar roads, gave me better coverage with both stock and aftermraket windshields, has a quieter overall ride and greater attention to fit and finish.

It also offers cruise control (not available from Honda - best you can do is a 'throttle lock.' I installed a Throttlemeister on my son's bike, but he still envies the BMW cruise). Access to the side bags are more difficult with the Honda and the dash (back lit in a sort of orange glow) is hard to read in the daytime, as opposed to the R1200RT.

Weight was also a negative, as the Honda is much heavier and harder to muscle around in the driveway and garage by hand than the beemer.

On the positive side, Honda seating position was good, it's stock seat broad and well padded, an accurate odometer, passing power in the mach range, and tires are wearing well (he has over 10,000 miles on it already).

Hope this helps, but for me, if I had to make a choice, it would be the BMW.

Ride Often and Alert!

soffiler
09-27-2007, 01:39 PM
...I guess im looking for a seat that offers better comfort that the stock( the stock is not bad but not great)and that looks like it belongs on the bike...

A high quality pair of padded bicycle shorts will make your stock seat feel a lot better.

kbasa
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I went with a Rocky Mayer seat. The heating element is just a panel that sits on top of the foam, so they were able to keep the heat.

podsobinski
09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I have had one full year with the RT and we (wife) and I love it. A couple of things that I might bring out from that experience.
BigAdv. keep the stock seat, it looks beautiful and you can get use to it. 1500 miles in 36 hours Iron Butt. I wear biking shorts for padding. Motolights are a good choice also, easy to install looks cool down low and that brushed aluminum matches the fork sliders well.
Professor: check the load capacity of the other choices. They are all about 100 pounds less than the RT. Check the size of the saddle bags, again the RT wins out big time against the ST and Concourse. Then, as has been pointed out, all the factory options win over hands down. My only regret was the radio/CD. Now with satillite radio and MP3s that is not needed. If I didn't two up ride all the time I might have gotten more serious with the ST and there great extended warrenty. But with me 225 and 145 for my wife, all our stuff we still get over 50mpg at legal speeds.

gpodzo

hlothery
09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I am approaching 23K on my RT, which is a 2005. Most of that is two up riding. I replaced the saddles with Rick Mayer, and he retained the heating elements, and we are very satisfied. I installed bar backs and a Nav II GPS. This is the finest road motorcycle I have ever ridden. Last Summer, my wife and I rode to North Carolina and back, 2900 miles all on back roads, in eight days. We had a fantastic time, followed the GPS instructions, used the cruise control, and packed plenty in the system bags and the large BMW topcase. We averaged 62 MPG at 50 MPH in 5th gear on the Natchez Trace on the way there. I cannot imagine not choosing the RT. The only advantage, IMHO, to the other two bikes is horsepower. Not high on my list of upgrades when my most precious and valued treasure is riding behind me. :thumb

deilenberger
09-27-2007, 04:41 PM
A high quality pair of padded bicycle shorts will make your stock seat feel a lot better.I've found the padded ones not terribly comfortable.. but what does help a LOT is to eliminate underwear seams..

LD Comfort makes a line of undershorts designed for riders - no seams in the butt area to irritate you - and with one line - wicking interior lining. Wearing these vs standard underwear about doubles my seat time before the onset of pain. The padded bike shorts made me shift around too much.

https://ldcomfort.com/store/home.php?cat=2 - good stuff, nice people.

soffiler
09-27-2007, 04:49 PM
I've found the padded ones not terribly comfortable.. but what does help a LOT is to eliminate underwear seams..

LD Comfort makes a line of undershorts designed for riders - no seams in the butt area to irritate you - and with one line - wicking interior lining. Wearing these vs standard underwear about doubles my seat time before the onset of pain. The padded bike shorts made me shift around too much.

https://ldcomfort.com/store/home.php?cat=2 - good stuff, nice people.

Thanks, Don, for the alternate viewpoint. I guess I am biased - I spend a lot of time wearing bicycle shorts, on a bicycle. If there's anything odd or uncomfortable about them, I guess I must be accustomed to it. Works great for me on my GS with stock saddle.

marcopolo
09-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm considering a new RT or a Kawasaki Concuours 1400 or a Honda ST1300.

I'd appreciate any feedback - good or bad - on your new RT or anyone's experience with the other two bikes.

Go to this guy's site, and click on "The Motorcycles" and you'll get his take on both the R12RT and the ST1300, as he has both.

http://www.bamarider.com/

I find the Honda too heavy, and as someone else said, check out every bike's load carrying capacity. In most cases you'll find the heavier the bike, the less it can carry. In Canada, Honda has not sold a topcase for the ST1300 for a few years. Wonder why. You'll get different answers from different dealers. At least one told me it related to possible stability problems at high speeds. You'll read lots of stories about the ST1300's famous (infamous?) high-speed wobble. In the UK, a police officer was killed on one, and the subsequent inquest attributed it to the bike, causing a number of UK police forces to take it out of service. Some claim this has nothing to do with the civilian model, but at least one moto journalist claimed it had one when he first tested it upon its initial introduction a few years ago.

As for the new Concours 14, the only real complaints I've read in mags concern the heat it generates, and the inadequacy of the stock screen (though they have a larger one as an option). It's heavier than an RT, and certainly has more power -- in the same league as the K1200GT. Alas, it does not have heated grips, heated seats, or cruise. Its rear tire is also not quite as common as the ubiquitous 180/55 that you'll find on the R12RT. I'd check out this bike if I were in the market, but comparing it to the RT is a bit apples and oranges I think.

For me, I wanted a bike that would handle long-distance, two-up riding, but that would also be enjoyable solo. For me, the RT best fit that bill. There was also the intangible that's sometimes hard to quantify that drew me to the BMW. Bikes are as much emotion, as logic. Go with what turns your crank.

1analguy
10-04-2007, 05:40 AM
I agree completely. There's something intangible about the personality of the RT...I've really bonded with it. It's the same effect that I experienced when I road my first modern Harley, back in the mid-eighties. It's almost like the bike is alive..maybe a bit like riding a horse or..heck, I'm rambling. I think either you feel it or you don't and each person is different. I was brought up on Hondas and Kawasakis and I never, ever felt this connection on any of them. When riding them, I got the feeling (even on the crotch rockets) that I was riding bland, soulless appliances.

I also agree that, if you're looking at a Concours, then you're NOT looking at an RT, you're looking at a K1200GT. With the total absence of any touring amenities, the Concours is really only a Ninja with hard bags. Sure, it's wicked fast...but is that really what you need or want in a touring bike? Either a Concours or a K1200GT is quite a bit faster than my RT, but I literally cannot roll the throttle open in the RT's fairly-tall first gear without the front tire coming up! Just how much power do you really need while crossing a state at anywhere near the speed limit? In 1975, I bought a Kawasaki Z1B 900 (the fastest road bike you could buy at the time, not counting the slightly faster, yet uncontrollably-dangerous Mach IV 750 2-stroke). My buddies and I were all in awe of the Z1. Cycle magazine likened flogging a Z1 to "riding bareback on an ICBM". Here's a shocker for you: an R1200RT, a touring bike that is, supposedly, just too slow (hence the need for the GT, Concours, etc.) would kick the s**t out of a Z1 in acceleration, top speed, braking, fuel economy, noise, comfort, and any other measure of performance you could think of. I guess if you're seriously looking at these other bikes, then you must need something other than what the RT has to offer...

podsobinski
10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Very good point you made on the speed of the RT as compared to the old Jap multi's we use to drive. It is all relative and certainly the RT is as fast as any resonable person needs.
Plus, it is a twin and you can see the motor/cyclinders at least.
I have "connected" with the RT a little different. It always feels like my classy vacation machine 'cause the wife and I use it as such. The poor old '02 war horse GS is my everyday bike, errands, work and trips with the guys so it doesn't feel as special.
Power, mileage, weight, comfort, handling and accessories are hard to beat.:dance

gpodzo

R1200RT
R1150G
XR650L

BobMielke
10-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Here's my 2005 R1200RT with 42,500 miles on her. I added a custom front seat and the GS mirrors to mine. My only complaints revolve around the headlight bulbs being so hard to replace and the fact that the stock fairing mirrors are useless. It didn't take long to add the handlebar mirrors and I haven't looked back since. LOL
http://bobmielke.smugmug.com/photos/174496235-M.jpg

easy
10-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Go to this guy's site, and click on "The Motorcycles" and you'll get his take on both the R12RT and the ST1300, as he has both.

http://www.bamarider.com/

I find the Honda too heavy, and as someone else said, check out every bike's load carrying capacity. In most cases you'll find the heavier the bike, the less it can carry. In Canada, Honda has not sold a topcase for the ST1300 for a few years. Wonder why. You'll get different answers from different dealers. At least one told me it related to possible stability problems at high speeds. You'll read lots of stories about the ST1300's famous (infamous?) high-speed wobble. In the UK, a police officer was killed on one, and the subsequent inquest attributed it to the bike, causing a number of UK police forces to take it out of service. Some claim this has nothing to do with the civilian model, but at least one moto journalist claimed it had one when he first tested it upon its initial introduction a few years ago.

As for the new Concours 14, the only real complaints I've read in mags concern the heat it generates, and the inadequacy of the stock screen (though they have a larger one as an option). It's heavier than an RT, and certainly has more power -- in the same league as the K1200GT. Alas, it does not have heated grips, heated seats, or cruise. Its rear tire is also not quite as common as the ubiquitous 180/55 that you'll find on the R12RT. I'd check out this bike if I were in the market, but comparing it to the RT is a bit apples and oranges I think.

For me, I wanted a bike that would handle long-distance, two-up riding, but that would also be enjoyable solo. For me, the RT best fit that bill. There was also the intangible that's sometimes hard to quantify that drew me to the BMW. Bikes are as much emotion, as logic. Go with what turns your crank.

Good observations.

It comes down to a question of what you want, versus what you need, versus how much money you're willing to spend.

If money is not a factor, the RT is unquestionably the better bike. That said if you like to go long distance, you'll need to get another seat.

The only other issue to consider is rear end failure. It did not keep me from buying my RT but I check it regularly to make sure its good to go, and you always have the three year warranty.

Easy :german

professor
10-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Great information. The circle is closing around the RT. I've ridden the GT and much prefer the RT. I haven't ridden the ST or Concourse, but it is sounding like I don't really need to except just for the experience. When I tested an RT, I accelerated up the entrance ramp and onto the freeway. I figured I was running 60-65. I glanced down at the speedo and it was steady at 90. I think the RT has all I need and more. And that boxer touches something deep inside. I've wanted one for decades. Now all I have to do is save a few more bucks.

bob1100rtc
10-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Get the RT. I traded my R11RT and have loved every minute since. It's only another payment. With winter almost here you will have a little more negotiating power on an 07. Just do it!

professor
10-13-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm zeroing in on the RT. The dealer here says all they have left in the wearhouse are silver ones without the electronic suspension adjustment. He's telling me it'll cost me about $19,000 with a top case.

I'm thinking they retail for around $17,000 or so. It is sounding like that free Zumo promotion for the '07's is going to cost a couple grand. I read in another thread of someone getting a new one for $15,500 right out of the crate. What is reasonable and does anyone have experience with any dealers near Dallas? Near is a relative term - I sometimes go to Houston for service on my Guzzi.

What accessories should I be thinking of - PIAA lights? crash bars?... it sounds like the salesman has left lots of room for negotiation.

aether
10-14-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm zeroing in on the RT. The dealer here says all they have left in the wearhouse are silver ones without the electronic suspension adjustment. He's telling me it'll cost me about $19,000 with a top case.

I'm thinking they retail for around $17,000 or so. It is sounding like that free Zumo promotion for the '07's is going to cost a couple grand. I read in another thread of someone getting a new one for $15,500 right out of the crate. What is reasonable and does anyone have experience with any dealers near Dallas? Near is a relative term - I sometimes go to Houston for service on my Guzzi.

What accessories should I be thinking of - PIAA lights? crash bars?... it sounds like the salesman has left lots of room for negotiation.

FYI: I just bought a remaining 2007 for 1k off of the MSRP.

-A

podsobinski
10-14-2007, 01:54 AM
I have lived with none of the options I have on my RT my whole motorcycling career spanning 45 years. All I have I will comment on:
1. ESA what a world of difference pushing buttons and my wife can tell as I can the differences in settings well worth it
2, Cruise control works great except in cold weather you can't grip the throttle hard enough to feel the heat. Best thing for Iron Butts and slab riding.
3, Computer bells and whistles are okay temperature and distance to reserve
is great
4. Heated seats with dual control try taking it away from my wife early June left North Rim of the Grand Canyon 16 degrees
5, Radio/CD not sure it is worth the $$$ but hooked up to Autocom and it does change the volume with speed switch works great for taking off the external speakers but no fun hooking it up
With the big travel trunk plenty of room and matches the silver color
I am glad I got most of those options but it did kick the price up to $22,000

Oh, well, just spending my kids inheritance.:dance

Gpodzo

06 R1200RT
02 R1150GS
03 XR650L

empeg9000
10-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I do remember reading about the guy that got his for 15.5K. I did not get ESA, they didn't have any with one. I only got $500 off the price but I did get the GPS (which is a BMW special), the top box, and the factory tank bag. So I figured thats about $1000 off anyway. SO thats the deal I struck. I probably could have worked him harder but maybe not.

redclfco
10-14-2007, 02:25 PM
GS seat killed me after 300 miles, but a bead seat made all the difference. NO MO PAIN!

You have to accept squids giving you the "look at the bead seat on that old fart's beemer" look, but at 50, I could give a rats ass what they think!

Red

tjgriesel
10-17-2007, 02:17 AM
I think you'd like an RT. I haven't spoken to anyone who doesn't. Some who went with the new GT went back to an RT or GS. See if you can try a seat before buying. Most are "tractor" style and you get stuck in one position. Also, you will need to slide forward when stopping to get good footing. Some people love them. I liked the ability to slide forward and back a few inches on the stock seat, particularly on long rides. Most passengers do complain about sliding forward on the stock seat. Most aftermarket seats fix this. I may try a Kontour seat. They retain the stock shape but have a much improved cushion. The suede like fabric covering also helps with the passenger slide problem. A replacement seat is never a small expense.

SilverRT
10-17-2007, 03:46 AM
I've had my '07 since April and have added nearly all I need to match my needs. (See my list below) I changed out the seat the day of purchase with a heated Sargent set (see picture) and along with a gell pad recently stayed on the bike for 7 - 12 hour days. I suggest you read up on other's opinions and perhaps find a few RT with the different seats. The dealer took 7.5% off the list and gave me a 6 month 15% discount for after market and BMW add ons.

Item Price Vendor
Fender Logo Plate $12.95 Bob's
Oil Filter Wrench $12.95 Bob's
Stop Light Signaler $12.00 Bob's
Tank Emblem R1200C $25.39 Bob's
Autoswitch 5P high beam trigger switch $20.00 cyclegadgets.com
Autoswitch Garage Door $30.00 cyclegadgets.com
Hyper-Lites, Dual Function $74.00 cyclegadgets.com
PIAA 1100X $260.00 cyclegadgets.com
PIAA 1100X & mounting brackets $60.00 cyclegadgets.com
Reflective Kit $29.95 cyclegadgets.com
Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns $56.00 Fisher Auto
Helmet Speakers $22.44 Helmetaudio.com
Nelson-Rigg cover (X-Large) $36.00 Motorcycle Superstore
Carbon FX, BMW Tri-Color Heated Seat $820.00 Sargent
BMW Tire Repair Kit $25.00 Sierra
Power Connector adapter $15.20 Sierra
Side Stand $36.50 Sierra
Handlebar Up Kit $99.20 Suburban Machinery
BMW Navigator III $1,189.15 Twin City BMW
Front Fender Extender $42.46 Twin City BMW
Rear Fender Extender $22.95 Twin City BMW
StormGuard Cover $104.13 Twin City BMW
Tool Kit $73.10 Twin City BMW
Ztechnik Vstream Windshield $163.00 Twin City BMW
Total After Market Accessories $3,242.37

MSRP $18,000.00 $19,460.00
Top Case $725.00
Engine Guards $129.00
Tank Bag $308.00
Pannier Protectors $150.00
Saddle Bag Liners $184.00
Accessories Total $1,337.00
Tax, License & Title, Doc. Fee $1,423.45
Grand Total $24,002.82

bpdougd
10-19-2007, 06:09 PM

I bought my '07 RT from a dealer in Colorado Springs in August. It was the only one they had and thus had a couple of options I might not have purchased if I was optioning one out specific to my preferences. It has pretty much all the options except the radio: ESA, ASC, computer, heated grips and seats, TPM. It listed for $19555. I got it for a little over 18k. I also got the low seat and a top case at cost. I thought this was a good deal and I love the bike.

YMMV

BTW, I replaced the stock seat with a Sargent low seat. I am currently in Austin visiting my son. I rode down from Colo Springs and we just got back from a 1400 mile loop of west Texas and a backpacking trip into Big Bend NP. The Sargent made a huge difference in my riding comfort. Highly recommended.

professor
10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks. I just ordered a new RT. There were none in stock so they ordered from the warehouse. It has a heated seat and everything else but the radio and ESA. I added head protectors and the topcase. The dealer says he's giving me $1,000 off MSRP and the large top case at cost plus free installation of the Zumo and the protectors - and it all added up to right at $19,000. I'm hoping to have it by the end of the week.

The extra money I was concerned about is apparently covering the tax, title and license.

So in a few days, I'll be one of the family. :clap