PDA

View Full Version : headlight bulbs on 07 RT

screamineagle
09-26-2007, 09:50 PM
My R1200RT is seven months old. My right headlight bulb died a month ago. I bought a new one from the BMW dealer and installed it myself. It cost $20.00.
The other day the left side bulb blew out . I checked at my local auto parts store and sure enough they had an H7 bulb. The counter guy said boy this is an expensive bulb, $6.50. Thats right. I could buy 3 bulbs at the local auto parts store for less than I can buy one bulb at my BMW dealer.

I hope someone from BMW reads this post and takes note. And those of you who own R1200RTs should take note, that the bulbs in the headlight can be replaced for much less at a parts store than at a BMW store.

ronclark
09-27-2007, 12:36 AM
I have a 07 1200 GS, I replaced both high and low bulbs with PIAA Star White. After about 9 thousand KM the low bulb burnt out. The shop that I bought it from replaced it, It lasted about 9 thousand KM so I just put the original back in and it burnt out after another 9 thousand KM. I called the dealer they said they haven't been having any problems. I have 31,000 Km and 3 bulbs.

BigAdv
09-27-2007, 03:36 AM
My R1200RT is seven months old. My right headlight bulb died a month ago. I bought a new one from the BMW dealer and installed it myself. It cost $20.00.
The other day the left side bulb blew out . I checked at my local auto parts store and sure enough they had an H7 bulb. The counter guy said boy this is an expensive bulb, $6.50. Thats right. I could buy 3 bulbs at the local auto parts store for less than I can buy one bulb at my BMW dealer.

I hope someone from BMW reads this post and takes note. And those of you who own R1200RTs should take note, that the bulbs in the headlight can be replaced for much less at a parts store than at a BMW store.

Dude have you been living in a bubble?:violin

When was the last time you bought something at a dealer that did not cost three times as much as a jobber part. But as with MOST things you get what you pay for. Bulbs, on the other hand, you can get better for cheaper in the aftermarket, dont know why the OEM's are soooo expensive. Just count your self lucky, I just replaced a zenon light bulb in a cust. veh. are you sitting down? $447.95 just for the bulb! Thats OEM for ya! Oh ya I got payed 0.2hrs for the privilage. Someone is making money, its not me though!

Earl

FredRydr
09-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Screamin':

Candlepower (http://store.candlepower.com/index.html)

Fred

jskene
10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Now that the price for HID conversion units has fallen to under $100 for a pair, you might want to convert to an HID setup. There is no filament to burn out, so they last much longer, not to mention being brighter and taking less power.

mtboulder
10-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I hope someone from BMW reads this post and takes note. for much less at a

If someone from BMW reads this post they'll raise the price of the OEM bulb. Only a 3X mark up is too low for BMW.:brow

wsteinborn
10-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Now that the price for HID conversion units has fallen to under $100 for a pair, you might want to convert to an HID setup. There is no filament to burn out, so they last much longer, not to mention being brighter and taking less power.

My BMW dealer has Philips conversion kits. They want $385 for each one. Plus installation if you don't want to do it yourself.