PDA

View Full Version : ESA Issue

mewaybright
09-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I have a 05' R12RT and recently it has decided that the ESA sholdn't switch from single rider to the options such as 2 up or w/ luggage. It will still switch between normal, sport and comfort fine... the bike has 15.6 k miles on it and this is the second major (well I think of it as major) issue I have had with the bike in a year and a half. The first issue was the brake servo failed and had to be replaced which I was told by Atlanta BMW has been common place on the 05's. Has anyone else suffered an ESA issue? I have it scheduled to go into the shop next week but I am feeling a bit put out by all this breakage on a new bike, what is this thing gonna cost me after the warranty is finished... I tell ya BMW isn't what it once was.

:dunno

RIDERR1150GSADV
09-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I am sorry to read of your troubles and hope it gets fixed soon.
If you plan on keeping the bike, Pinnacle extended warranty may be your best bet. I like my bike enough to keep and bought this warranty prior to the factory one running out....... Even if you sell the bike the extended warranty is worth extra $$ in resale.... YMMV

Tom K.
09-26-2007, 09:09 PM
IIRC, a few other '05RT owners have reported the same problem. I believe they were all remedied by replacing the rear shock unit under warranty. As this malady doesn't seem to afflict the '06 & '07 models, one fix ought to do the trick.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Tom

bob1100rtc
09-27-2007, 12:28 AM
I bought the pinnacle warranty when I bought my bike (R1200RT) takes me out to 6 years. The dealer wanted $975 , I told him $550 and I'll sign the papers. He took it. Just to let you all know the dealer has less than half of what they are asking in a service contract. It is a very negotiable item and a big money maker for them. Just a heads up to anyone buying a new bike

mewaybright
10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Well I took it into the shop yesterday and they took their time troubleshooting it or so it seemed since I was trying to kill time walking around the show room for 2 hours or a bit more. Anyway it turned there was a low voltage issue and the computer stored a code which made it not work correctly. Now I do not know where it got a low voltage from since I usually ride it or keep it on the charger but it was a no parts required and warranty... good thing I wasn't paying for the labor at $75 an hour... guess I need one of those no computer required motorcycles. :deal