PDA

View Full Version : R 1200 RT Oil Level

dundee387
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the most accurate way to check oil level. I have a 2006 RT with about 1900 miles on it. Just had the 600 mile service done couple months ago. I take a long trip (like the owners manual says) and then put the bike on the center stand. Oil level is below the min line. I add a nearly a 1/2 quart, go out about 65 miles. Shut the bike off, place it on side stand. Oil level is middle of min and max, ok. I then ride back home, another 90 miles, and place bike on center stand (still running). Check the oil level, and it's below minimum.

What am I doing wrong? I have no warning lights on pressure.

Thanks.

PGlaves
09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
1. Stop and turn off bike.
2. Park on side stand for a few minutes.
3. Put on centerstand - 10 minutes to overnight.
4. View oil in sight glass - bike upright (centerstand) engine off.
5. Oil level should be in sight glass - at center dot is optimal - fill when at or near bottom of circle. It MAY burn oil quicker if above the dot.

jimvonbaden
09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
My method is not only totally against BMW official policy, but much simpler. :lol

I simply ride the bike until warm, park it for at least 5 min on the sidestand, and look at the site glass. If it is completely full I ride. If it is showing any air, I add 8 oz and ride, then check again at the next stop.

This method ensures all oil is out of any oil cooler, and you will never over fill it. The worst you will ever be is 8 oz low, which is fine on a bike with 4 quarts in it.

This method has served me, and many of my friends, well for hundreds of thousands of miles without an issue.

Again, it is NOT a BMW approved method! But it works for me!

Jim :brow

PS I check my volume of fluid at nearly every oil change and have never come up more than 8 oz low, and never too much either.

PPS I just reread your post. You check the level running? I bet you have a LOT of extra oil in your bike now!

dundee387
09-27-2007, 12:09 AM
for the info.