PDA

View Full Version : R1200R Squeaks!

santacruzdave
09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
My R1200R has a squeak, seems to be coming from under the tank. Only occurs on idle. Rev it up and the squeak goes away. I used a wooden dowel trick to try to find the source. Does not seem to be the alternator belt. If it were it would squeak more under load. The squeak is alot like a chirping kinda squeak, like rubber against metal. 2900mi on the bike. Any ideas??

deilenberger
09-25-2007, 04:09 AM
My R1200R has a squeak, seems to be coming from under the tank. Only occurs on idle. Rev it up and the squeak goes away. I used a wooden dowel trick to try to find the source. Does not seem to be the alternator belt. If it were it would squeak more under load. The squeak is alot like a chirping kinda squeak, like rubber against metal. 2900mi on the bike. Any ideas??

My idea would be warranty - and let the dealer sort it out. Belts can squeak more at idle - dunno why - but they can - where does the wooden dowel lead you to?

FredRydr
09-25-2007, 11:48 AM
My R1200R has a squeak, seems to be coming from under the tank... Any ideas??It's amazing how mice find places to build their nests when the weather turns cold.

Fred
'07 R1200R

FredRydr
09-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Any ideas??On a more serious note, I'd begin by squirting WD-40 on the mounting points of the tank (without removing the tank), using the long red nozzle that comes with the spray can. Then start 'er up and listen.

Fred
'07 R1200R

deilenberger
09-26-2007, 04:05 AM
There are only three mounting points for the tank. The front two are on either side of the steering head - rubber mounts that the tank slides into. The rear one is on the left side under the plastic side panels - and it's a bolt into the frame.

Not a lot to lube - I'd worry a bit about the WD40 attacking the rubber mounts on the front. A bit of silicone spray on them would seem fine..

santacruzdave
09-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. Using the dowel as a stethoscope was more an exercise in finding out where the squeak was not. Not in the alternator housing, heads, clutch or transmission areas. The tank seems like a good place to apply some silicone lube. Dealer will get a chance to sort it out if I can’t. Hesitated to take it to the dealer right off the bat as the squeak seems to moderate and mostly go away as things heat up. But I’ll just let it cool down if I take it to the dealer.
Many thanks!!

FredRydr
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd worry a bit about the WD40 attacking the rubber mounts on the front. A bit of silicone spray on them would seem fine..Don,

Isn't that what WD-40 is? Silicon Spray?

Fred

jimvonbaden
09-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Don,

Isn't that what WD-40 is? Silicon Spray?

Fred

Not at all. WD-40 is a petrolium based solvent that is a fairly poor lubricant. It is designed to dry out fairly quickly. It isn't very good for plastic or rubber over time.

Jim :brow

FredRydr
09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Not at all. WD-40 is a petroleum based solvent...Oh sh*t. After decades, this comes as a surprise. So it's like spray Liquid Wrench?

Fred

darrylri
09-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh sh*t. After decades, this comes as a surprise. So it's like spray Liquid Wrench?

Fred

No. WD-40 is Water Dispersing. It pushes water out of places. It's not a lubricant.

Liquid Wrench is intended to penetrate and lubricate stuck/rusted fasteners, to allow them to be separated.

FredRydr
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I knew that WD-40 wasn't a good lubricant, but for some reason I thought it was silicon based. Sorry to hijack the thread, but would a silicon spray (of some brand or other) be a bad choice to disperse water?

Fred

BigAdv
09-27-2007, 03:45 AM
Did the stick lead you to water?:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Earl

(sorry but I couldnt help my self, I kill me)

swall
10-05-2007, 12:32 AM
After reading this post, I started paying attention to my R1200R to see if it exhibited any signs of this behavior. In the last week, I had heard a rattling noise at idle that went away at speed. It seemed to be somewhere under the tank or at the front end. I got to poking around and found that one of the screws for the sport windshield was loose. Tightened it and the noise went away.

santacruzdave
11-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Update on the squeak:

Took the bike to the dealer. Left it overnight so they could hear it when its the loudest - cold and at idle. Yup, they heard it. Not the alt. belt or anything else they could find. Service manager started another bike. Yea, there is a sorta similar sound coming from the other bike, but you have to really strain to hear it.
Where on my ride, no strain - easy to hear- sounds like a mickey-mouse bike with a squeaky toy in its mouth. Strain on the ego! Dealer will ask BMW NA if they have had similar complaints. Ha, can't wait to ask them what BMW says.

I know these things can be subjective, and my bike really does sound like a belt slipping, or parts rubbing together. I'm going to give it another 2K or so miles. Then we are going to talk replacement bike.. Damn, I really like the R12R.