PDA

View Full Version : Touratech Cylinder Guards

reimerdavid
09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Am considering installing a pair of Touratech Cylinder head guards on my 2007 R 1200 RT and would like feedback on them. Am especially interested in the installation and any Chaffing issues. Info anyone???????

progress49
09-24-2007, 07:59 AM
I put the black Touratechs on my R1200ST. The installation was straightforward and they seemed very well made. I crashed the bike at about 65mph and it slid and tumbled on a combination of blacktop and gravel surfaces. The bike was totaled, I broke my leg, but the heads never leaked a drop of oil from road damage. I'm going to put the same guards on my next bike

pgods
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I put the black Touratechs on my R1200ST. The installation was straightforward and they seemed very well made. I crashed the bike at about 65mph and it slid and tumbled on a combination of blacktop and gravel surfaces. The bike was totaled, I broke my leg, but the heads never leaked a drop of oil from road damage. I'm going to put the same guards on my next bike

Have em on my GS. IMHO ... the best guards you can buy. Stainless steel and look great. Pretty straightforward install.

TomR1200
09-24-2007, 09:06 PM
The bike was totaled, I broke my leg, but the heads never leaked a drop of oil from road damage. I'm going to put the same guards on my next bike

Why? What good did they do you last time?

r11rs94
09-24-2007, 09:11 PM

I was going to ask the same question. If the bike is totaled who cares about the heads. I have 2 oil-heads and found that the heads are cheaper to replace than the guards cost. That is why I do not use them. Just my 2 cents worth :dunno

progress49
09-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Last year I had a slow get off (20mph) in some deep silt on a road in Utah. It was 4th of July, and I had neither plenty of water or enough gas to make it back to the paved section. I wasn't hurt but when I looked at the bike it was leaking oil in the sand from a hole in the valve cover, the size of a dime. The plastic valve cover guard was in pieces. I had some oil, I had some tire plugs, i had some duct tape, a had few choices. It was repaired and then ridden to Salt Lake City the next day and there it was replaced.

You both are correct, if your bike is totalled, they don't mean jack, but if the damage had been less, the motor would have been in shape to get me to where I wanted to go.

FredRydr
09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I was going to ask the same question. If the bike is totaled who cares about the heads. I have 2 oil-heads and found that the heads are cheaper to replace than the guards cost. That is why I do not use them. Just my 2 cents worth :dunnoThe guards prevent asphalt or concrete from grinding a hole in the very soft magnesium, the difference between staying put or continuing on. My guards are small but are stainless steel.

Note that BMW is now offering a soft flexible Emergency Valve Cover Kit as an accessory you carry on the bike or even in a pocket, in case you grind such a hole. So there is an alternative to guards.

By the way, the cost of valve covers has soared. (Oilhead aluminum covers used to be $55 new, but they've about doubled.) I buy used with minor dings which my covers will hide, and toss them on the shelf.

Fred
'07 R1200R

r11rs94
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
The guards prevent asphalt or concrete from grinding a hole in the very soft magnesium, the difference between staying put or continuing on. My guards are small but are stainless steel.

Note that BMW is now offering a soft flexible Emergency Valve Cover Kit as an accessory you carry on the bike or even in a pocket, in case you grind such a hole. So there is an alternative to guards.

By the way, the cost of valve covers has soared. (Oilhead aluminum covers used to be $55 new, but they've about doubled.) I buy used with minor dings which my covers will hide, and toss them on the shelf.

Fred
'07 R1200R

Good points made. Thanks :bow