PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using aftermarket suspension that works with ESA?

davemon
09-19-2007, 03:50 PM
I know there is a company out there building Wilbur's or another companies units with ESA controls hooked up... wondering if anyone here has them yet and cared to comment. I am loving mine and it is still brand new but I would like to follow the story on these for later on.

Dave

deilenberger
09-19-2007, 05:52 PM
I know there is a company out there building Wilbur's or another companies units with ESA controls hooked up... wondering if anyone here has them yet and cared to comment. I am loving mine and it is still brand new but I would like to follow the story on these for later on.

DaveNot Wilbers. Supposedly (have not heard from anyone who has actually received these) - Works Performance is taking the ESA controls and mating them to their shock absorbers. Which is a good thing since it gives a source of rebuildable ESA shocks.

Dunno what the $$$ is - but it's probably not inexpensive. I'd suggest pinging Works-Performance for more details.

davemon
09-20-2007, 03:40 PM
At your suggestion that Works Performance builds these I contacted them. I interacted with Darrel Foust there and learned the following from him about their offerings:

"We can set you up with a set of shocks that will utilize the factory ESA.The only down fall is we will need parts off the factory units to do the job. What we will need is the eye's off both front and rear shocks also the hydraulic preloader off rear.The front shock will run you $469.00 plus $25.00 for installation of the factory eye,and the rear will run you $649.00 plus $75.00 for installation of the factory eye and the hydraulic preloader.We will custom valve and spring for rider weight and riding style.Thank you "

His contact info is:

Darrel Foust
Works Performance Products,Inc
Darrel@worksperformance.com
Voice 818-701-1010 x33
Fax 818-701-9043 Attn Darrel

If you get this done I would love to hear how it goes and if I make the move I will certainly share the steps with the group here. My ride is new and the suspension is the best I have ever had for two up touring so I am not tempted to mess with it until there are signs of wear. In fact I did a track day to learn more about my bike and find my riding skills again after three years off bikes and found the bike to be fantastic. I was literally lapping the lowest level of three group (most of the other bikes are pure sportbikes or mixed purpose Ducatis like the Monster and SS). The bike is pretty happy and composed when pushing and the only places it got wiggly was on hard pavement transitions when on the edge of the tire. At my lower speeds (using perhaps 80% of the tires ultimate grip) it stayed stuck and just wiggled around and felt unhappy for a second and then got back in the groove.

Dave

marcopolo
09-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Does anyone know whether, after installation of Works Performance shocks (as outlined above), the bike bike would have to be taken to a BMW dealer and hooked up to the BMW diagnostic computer so the bike could then "recognize" what positions the hardware is in for each of the programmed suspension settings?

My independent BMW Master Tech, while not absolutely certain, thought most likely yes (he was trained on the R12RT, by the way).

I had also heard earlier, but had never confirmed, that only a dealer could install BMW OEM ESA struts for exactly that reason.

Anybody know for sure?

BigAdv
09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
The factory shocks on my RT (07/07prodution) are WP shocks.(with ESA). THe system was developed by WP Suspension and licenced to BMW. Im quite new to BMW bikes so I dont know if the WP shocks are new for 07 or if the early models had them as well. THe shocks on my bike look like they are servicable. This will be a big bonus of the ESA option.

Just my thoughts

Earl