PDA

View Full Version : New to BMW ?

MLS2GO
09-11-2007, 03:57 AM
First post, be kind. New to BMW, not to riding, 120,000 miles last 6 years on HD and Buell. bought a new 2007 R1200RT two weeks ago. Already gotten great info here and other sites. My Question is this. I ran my bike to Reserve on purpose, drove 5 more miles and filled up. Putting it on the centerstand I could squeeze 5.4 gallons into it by filling up the neck. That leaves 1.7 gallons in a 7.1 gallon tank. Do they all do this? Are they consistent? Next time I go to reserve will I really have this much fuel left. I need to know for down the road how much I really have on reserve. The manual says 1.1 gallon, obviously not this time on my bike.

Thanks.

PAULBACH
09-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Good Morning Bob,

Welcome to the Forum.

A new bike? http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/PaulBach/Smilies/congrats.gif

This topic has come up more than once. Their does seem to be a degree of variance between one bike and another. I don't trust the gas gauge on my bikes or my car. After 200 miles fill up the bike. It's time to take a break, get some rest, stretch sore muscles and let folks see your beautiful new bike.

Tom K.
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
First post, be kind. New to BMW, not to riding, 120,000 miles last 6 years on HD and Buell. bought a new 2007 R1200RT two weeks ago. Already gotten great info here and other sites. My Question is this. I ran my bike to Reserve on purpose, drove 5 more miles and filled up. Putting it on the centerstand I could squeeze 5.4 gallons into it by filling up the neck. That leaves 1.7 gallons in a 7.1 gallon tank. Do they all do this? Are they consistent? Next time I go to reserve will I really have this much fuel left. I need to know for down the road how much I really have on reserve. The manual says 1.1 gallon, obviously not this time on my bike.

Thanks.

That seems to be about the norm for the 1200RT. I've removed the fuel neck rubber gasket (easily pulls right off) in order to fill the tank to a more consistent level. It also eliminates the pump auto-cutoff from continually shutting off the fuel flow. Some folks have reported getting in close to 8 gals. with the gasket removed and filling to very top of the neck - which may or may not be a good idea.

Apparently, when you hit reserve, you actually have close to 2 gallons remaining - so you can operate with a 6+ gal. tank and still have a 1 gal. safety margin. Since I'm getting 50 mpg, a 250+ mile tank with 100 miles in reserve is fine with me.

Enjoy your new RT!
Tom

RRainman
09-12-2007, 02:35 AM
I'll typically go 30 miles past reserve. There is at least a gallon at reserve and I'll get 45-50 mpg. This leaves a little lee way for a safety margin.

bpdougd
09-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Your experience is pretty much identical to mine. And it is stunning how little the dealer knows. I asked them the same question (sales guy, two mechanics and the parts guy who is a geezer like me who has about 30 years on the clock with beemers) and they all said, "Hmmm, good question. Don't have a clue."

I've never gotten more than 5 gals into the tank after running it down to the point that the onboard computer is scolding me.

larrydk
09-12-2007, 09:42 AM
It's weird, because I do trust my car gas guage, mut not the cycle. Over the years I always go by milage with a safety factor, aside from a flat, nothing is worse than running out of gas.

marcopolo
09-13-2007, 02:27 AM
You can have your gas guage re-calibrated so the low fuel level warning does not come on so early. I had mine done under warranty on my '06, as have numerous other R12RT owners. The dealership has to empty your tank, let the fuel sensing strip dry, pour back in in a measured quantity of fuel (to equal the "reserve" -- 4L for me), then hook the bike up to the BMW computer and do a little magic. That said, I use one of my trip meters.

MLS2GO
09-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Thanks to all who have answered. Every Brand and model of motorcycle has it's own idiosyncracies. I'm getting to learn a new one. Thanks for the reset news, I may consider that. This weekend I wil run to reserve again and see if it is consistent. Thanks for the help!

njnear
09-15-2007, 12:14 AM
See my post on RT Tank Volume.

I went 53 miles past empty on the computer. Over 100 miles past when the low fuel warning came on.

gulfcoastbeemer
09-18-2007, 12:16 AM
My wife has an '05 R1200RT and I have '07 R1200RT. The fuel gauge in each of these bikes performs exactly the same.

There seem to be two issues:

1. Actually filling the tank completely; and
2. Understanding what the warning light and gauge are trying to tell you.

WARNING LIGHT: It's our experience that when the warning light comes on, the computer will be telling you that you have something like 40-50 miles until "empty" -- which seems to really mean, until you hit "reserve".

FUEL GAUGE: Full is somewhere in the fourth, or top LCD element. When the fuel gauge reads "empty" -- no LCD element showing, you are actually in "reserve" with something like more than a gallon of fuel and somewhere between 50-80 miles until empty.

I don't have an owners manual with me at the moment; but the exact wording that pertains to "fuel warning light", "fuel gauge", and "reserve" seem to support the above scenario.

With a properly filled tank, and riding conservatively, I'm confident I could go at least 350 miles before running completely dry. Of course: YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

Enjoy your new RT Bob -- my wife had an '04 H-D Road Glide previously, but loves her RT.

MLS2GO
09-18-2007, 04:49 AM
My bike is consistent 1.7 gallons left on reserve. Rode another 40 miles after it came on ans still put in only a little less than 6 gallons. So reserve on my bike is 1.7, that's cool as long as it is consistent. Thanks to everyone for the help!

lawman101
09-18-2007, 11:40 PM
My light comes on with about two gallons left. My miles to empty will zero out with one gallon left.

09-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey all.. I have a 93 K75s and I would like to buy a cover for it. Any recommendations as to size so that I don't buy something too big or too small..

bikerfish1100
09-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey all.. I have a 93 K75s and I would like to buy a cover for it. Any recommendations as to size so that I don't buy something too big or too small..
best recommendation i can give you is to post your K questions in the K-Bike section of the Tech Forum, and if you want a question answered that has nothing to do with the original thread- start your own new thread on that topic. Much more likely to find the help you're seeking.