PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wrap for RT connector pipe

mjurchak
09-06-2007, 01:32 AM
I've just purchased my second RT, a 2005 R1200RT with only 3k miles and plan to keep it for a long time. When riding on slowly on loose surfaces like small stones I can hear the 'ping' of stones hitting the exhaust pipe the runs across the front of the engine connecting the two headers and behind the front wheel. I would expect that over time the connector pipe will get dinged, chip and eventually rust prematurely.

Do you think it would be worth wrapping this ~ 10 inches of pipe with some kind of exhaust pipe wrap to eliminate the potential damage to this pipe? The pipe is low, fairly inconspicuous and I'm more interested in longevity than cosmetics.

Thanks in advance.

henzilla
09-06-2007, 02:19 AM
I added a fender extender to my 05 RT..Wunderlich has one, others have fashioned one themselves. It keeps most mud & road debris off. I have put 25K on this bike and it shows no physical damage

greenwald
09-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I echo henzilla's approach.

I purchased a front fender extender from Nippy Norman's of the UK. Attaches with self-adheasive strips and four self-tapping screws.

Looks so good, others presume it was original equipment, and protects not only the cross-over pipe but also keeps dirt and debris off the rest of the engine as well.

Even saw some in stock and for sale at a WI BMW dealer last week (Mischler's of Beaver Dam), so the product is out there.

Good luck!

dancogan
09-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I added a fender extender to my 05 RT..Wunderlich has one, others have fashioned one themselves. It keeps most mud & road debris off. I have put 25K on this bike and it shows no physical damage

Did the same thing. Works great!

deilenberger
09-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I believe - unless the RT is different from all the other hexheads - the entire exhaust system is made from stainless steel - even the ones with chrome plating. There is no rust with stainless.. it's not to worry sort of thing.

The_Veg
09-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Besides, the colour that stainless turns after enough miles is proof that you're a REAL rider. :thumb

henzilla
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
There is no rust with stainless.. it's not to worry sort of thing.

unless it is on a boat on the Gulf Coast!:laugh amazingly stainless stains there!

FredRydr
09-11-2007, 03:39 PM
BMW goes to great lengths to test their stainless steel parts. Earlier this year, they used the English Channel to dip the bikes. Here is their quality control team pushing one of the test bikes out of the salt-water bath, as they look forward to making a thorough analysis. We look forward to their conclusions.

We don't yet know the results of the test, because there are some difficulties regarding the precise whereabouts of the test bikes. We'd ask the team members, but unfortunately, they're missing as well.

Fred

mjurchak
09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I'll try the fender extenders first and stay away from attempting the first trans Atlantic crossing on an RT :O

vmi1991
09-18-2007, 12:42 AM
I believe - unless the RT is different from all the other hexheads - the entire exhaust system is made from stainless steel - even the ones with chrome plating. There is no rust with stainless.. it's not to worry sort of thing.

Hey Don, these pipes do rust. My pipes have decided to begin rusting in earnest the last 2k miles. I will add a picture when light permits . It may have to wait until the weekend if the camera phone picture is no good.

The rust is below the left head from the lower curve back to the gear shift pivot.

George