PDA

View Full Version : Installing Touratech Oil Cooler Guard & Fender Extension

09-03-2007, 02:02 AM
I have the parts ordered & expect them on Tuesday. The installation instructions for the oil cooler guard & front fender I downloaded from their website look pretty straightforward but thought I would ask before I start wrenching. Anyone have any words of wisdom or tips???

deilenberger
09-03-2007, 05:09 AM
I have the parts ordered & expect them on Tuesday. The installation instructions for the oil cooler guard & front fender I downloaded from their website look pretty straightforward but thought I would ask before I start wrenching. Anyone have any words of wisdom or tips???

Only one word of wisdom - please post the model of your Hexhead somewhere so we know what you're asking about. I'd assume from your username it's a R1200GS - but some people own more than one bike..

09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
D'oh. . . '06 R1200GS. Guess that's what happens when tired & posting.

Back to the installation - oil cooler guard requires removal of side covers, front "beak" fender & loosening/pulling down the oil cooler.

Anyone done this before?

09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I did it on my '07 12gs Adventure. The installation instructions were good. The only difficulty I had was when I tried to loosen the Oil Cooler. The screw head (Torx) was at a bad angle for me to get a good bite and seemed to be torqued tightly. To avoid stripping the bolt head I decided to clip off ( use diagonal cutters ) the angled piece of aluminum on the top of the guard. The guard then slipped easily over the top of the oil cooler. Do not clip off the slots used to secure the guard with the tie wraps. I snugged up the tie wraps and wahlah, secured.
Reinstallation of the beak and plastic cowlings went smooth.
I went slow. Took me about an hour. I think it was a fine first project for me to tackle on my new bike.

Be carefull not to stress the guard. The metal bends easily and could snap if you try to force it. Leave the leuvers (sp) in their original position. If you have to bend them.... go easy.

Have fun

09-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I just remembered... the oil cooler was bolted with Hex nut. I could not get the socket over it fully.

I did it last April. Just tryin to remember what happened.

I did not have to do anything with the beak extender... mine came with it.

Have fun.

09-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Thanks MAPrider. I'll follow your advice - tips much appreciated.

gened12
09-05-2007, 04:18 AM
PM me if you are interested

cheers

denis R1200RT