PDA

View Full Version : Installing Skeene Designs P3 brake lights on R1200RT

davemon
08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi All,

I have had the lights for a week or two and just read the directions as I hope to install them one night this week or over the holiday weekend. I am wondering if anyone out there has done it and can chime in.

I found directions on the Skeene website: http://www.p3lights.com/Installation.htm

I also found a thread on BMWSportToruing: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/914620/an/0/page/1#Post914620

From reading this information and the regular instructions I think I am all set except the part about tapping into the wires up front in the headlight controller plug. I think this is to get running lights that come on and off with the factory running lights (rather than the half a minute or so delay on the power socket next to the passenger seat). I think I can see this looking down through the fairing but I am thinking I need to remove the right side tank cover and fairing bits to run the wires. Anyone done it and know if that is true? Any other tips?

Dave

bricciphoto
08-29-2007, 06:15 PM
From reading this information and the regular instructions I think I am all set except the part about tapping into the wires up front in the headlight controller plug. I think this is to get running lights that come on and off with the factory running lights (rather than the half a minute or so delay on the power socket next to the passenger seat). I think I can see this looking down through the fairing but I am thinking I need to remove the right side tank cover and fairing bits to run the wires. Anyone done it and know if that is true? Any other tips?

Dave

Dave, I have P3s on my ST, which is a lot simpler installation. I have watched Jerry Skeene install P3s on an RT and all your assumptions above seem correct.

randkbmw
08-29-2007, 07:48 PM
If you have questions call Jerry. They are VERY helpful. I took mine into the dealer to be installed during my 600 mile service, The service guys got things mis-wired, a call to Jerry got them working (did it my self). You will love the lights, way brighter than my hyperlites on my sife's bike. Has I understand it only need to use the front parking light wire if want to beable to use the emergency flasher feature. Mine are wired into my aux fuse strip.
Ross

jskene
09-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I have added an installation page to the P3Lights website:

http://www.p3lights.com/Installation.htm

davemon
09-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I wound up going with a plug I bought from CycleNutz.com that goes into your parking light bulb socket and the parking light bulb itself then installs into the aftermarket plug which gets you key switched power tapped without tapping or cutting a wire in the factory harness. I ran this back to control a 70 amp relay which in turn controls power to the Centex AP-1 I put under the passenger seat. Jerry from Skeene Design confirmed (in less than an hour on a Saturday) that I can just run a wire from the Centec to the power control on the P3. This means the install is uber easy as the hard part is tapping that front switched power and running the wire "through" the bike under the fairings to the rear.

Dave