PDA

View Full Version : low oil on r1200s

larrydk
08-29-2007, 02:55 AM
Have an 07 r1200s, got the 600 mile service, was told at about 1000 miles more may have to add some oil.

Looked in the site glass today (2200 miles) and sems like level is low.

Couple of questions....

- when should I check the level, hot or cold engine?
- if low, how much oil will I need to add....what of any os normal?
- Should I just do an oil change at 1500 miles, or should I wait the 3000 recommend?
- Is there a low oil level indicator lamp?

Lots of questions, help.

LDK

Tom K.
08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
BMW boxers often use some oil until fully broken in - which can take 10,000 miles.

Park the bike on sidestand while hot for about 5 minutes, then put it on the centerstand for another 5 miutes and then check the oil level.

Add about 8 oz. to increase level from the bottom of the sight glass to the middle.

Personally, I don't see any advantage to changing oil before the next scheduled maintenance at 6,000 miles.

On computer equipped RTs, there is an oil warning. I suspect your owner's manual will tell you if you have a low oil light on your S.

Tom

Motorradfahrer
08-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Tomfrom MD....

You are correct that all new boxers will use some oil. My 2006 R1200RT used some oil till about 18,000 miles and not until 23,000 miles did I finally switch to synthetic oil. To this day..at almost 30,000 miles I have yet to see a drop in the oil level.
The public needs to be educated and this should also come from the BMW dealer who is selling you an R bike that the R engines will consume oil till they hit about 10-24k miles. Also being told not to worry about it is helpful, but I must admit that most dealers will not do that as it might prevent a sale.

deilenberger
08-29-2007, 07:55 PM
The public needs to be educated and this should also come from the BMW dealer who is selling you an R bike that the R engines will consume oil till they hit about 10-24k miles. Also being told not to worry about it is helpful, but I must admit that most dealers will not do that as it might prevent a sale.Except not all do. Mine stopped using oil at around 3,500 miles, and since then I haven't had to add any.. I switched to synthetic at 5,900 miles since I couldn't see any reason not to.

I suspect a week of playing around in the mountains of WV and NC were what got it fully broken in.. lots of 1st-2nd gear switchbacks including long downhill ones using engine braking - sustained RPM use from 2,000-6,500 RPM.. For anyone who has a 1200 that's still using oil - I highly recommend Rt 33/28/66 in West Virginia, then Rt 219 down to Sparta NC, where you can get on the Blue-Ridge to finish the job off. Repeat as necessary :whistle

People should understand that motorcycles may use oil - new, used, whatever, and it IS important to check them. I suspect most youngsters (under 60..) don't remember the days when part of driving a car was checking the oil level at least weekly..

Tom K.
08-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I suspect most youngsters (under 60..) don't remember the days when part of driving a car was checking the oil level at least weekly..

Weekly? I had to check my Corvair and Triumph TR2 daily as they both seemed to use swiss cheese for seals!

Tom

larrydk
08-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info.

When I got home and looked further into the manual it did not occur to me the importance of the oil being hot before checking levels.

Level was just a bit low, added 200 mL, all is fine, still plan on a change at 3000 miles.

deilenberger
08-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info.

When I got home and looked further into the manual it did not occur to me the importance of the oil being hot before checking levels.
I think more important than checking it hot - is having a consistent routine for checking it. If you check it hot - always check it hot. Cold - always check it cold. I usually eyeball my sight glass before I take off in the AM since that's the only time the bike is on the centerstand.. doing it that way the readings I get are VERY consistent.