PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if you trip a CAN bus socket?

davemon
08-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi All,

I am new to BMWs after many Hondas and have a new to me 2007 model R1200RT. I have a Centech fuse panel on its way in the mail. I plan to run 2 eletric vests and maybe one set of electric gloves and maybe some lower power eletronics off my bike. It seems that the front socket on my bike (and maybe the rear) are wired tot eh CAN bus rather than direct to the battery with a fuse inline. I am planning to wire the rear socket and possibly an additional rear socket to the Centech panel and then to the battery for my pillion's electric clothing. I am considering leaving the front scoket the way it is.

What I am wondering is the effect of overwhelming that socket with my vest or something. What will happen? Will it just turn off and stay off until I turn the bike off and back on? Will it cycle off for a few minutes and then try to automatically reset itself? Has any personally experienced this?

I really like the way this bike handles! It is true that the front wheel feedback is kind of dead but I hope that with experience I will learn how to feel what the front is doing better.

Thanks,
Dave

Motorwerk
08-27-2007, 04:48 PM
There are no fuses whatsoever on a CAN-bus bike hence the CAN-bus.

If the rated amperage is overloaded the ZFE (computer) turns off the supply voltage to the affected socket. This is a temporary condition as the socket will be powered again when the ignition is cycled assuming the draw is within spec. I think it's 10 amps but I would verify that - also, I believe this is a combined value between the front and rear outlets.

Another choice, as I have done, is to go directly to the battery with a Powerlet connector. This has an inline fuse and is also good for charging the battery with a standard charger. But the Centech is the way to go for more flexibility in connecting numerous devices.

There is ample feedback from the front wheel. What you are most likely to encounter is the lack of compression or dive when compared to other makes due to the Telelever suspension.

Congrats on the new bike, you're gonna love it!

davemon
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks! I have yet to get a shop manual and this is alluded to in the bike manual but what I read didn't spell it out. My concern was that I might somehow hurt the bike if I pulled to much from this socket.

It seems there are BMW shop manuals on ebay for very low prices and an even cooler video type helper available from someone on this board. I don't plan to mess with much beyond basic electrics but I like knowing the basics. For instance, I found it fun and informative to put the factory head protectors on as I had to go through finding all the fairing fasteners to remove.

Next up is installing the Skeene Design P3 add-on rear lights.

Dave

Motorwerk
08-28-2007, 12:58 AM
This is also available if you're interested. It doesn't cover the '07 specifically but most of it should apply. Cheapest place I've found was http://www.themotorbookstore.com

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/motobooks_1960_107677943

Good luck with the lights, many have had a positive experience with them. I have a set of Hyperlights that seem to work well.