PDA

View Full Version : R 1200 RT Engine Protection

reimerdavid
08-26-2007, 10:00 PM
My current bike is a 2007 R 1200 RT and am considering installing either Wunderlich or Touratec Engine protection bars. Am concerned about Chaffing issues between the bars and thebikes Flareing panels. Can anyone endorce either brand over the other.

Thanks, DR

henzilla
08-27-2007, 02:34 AM
have Wunderlich on 05 RT, no contact with any of the plastic, and can remove the plastic without removing ends off bars.

ggfossen
08-27-2007, 02:59 AM
I have Touatech on my RT. They are really close to the plastic, but I don't worry about chaffing. Can't see it, anyway. I don't think the plastic will come off without removing the bars. I took them off for the 600. It's easier the third time around. I would have went with the wonder bars, but I prefered the cylinder protection from the Touatech...I guess there is always a trade off?

Gary

bob1100rtc
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I have the Touratech bars. They touch the plastic in 2 places on each side. I wrapped the bars in the supplied protective tape before I put them on and don't think there will be a problem. Even if the paint chaffs You won't see it unless you're laying on the ground looking up. I like the way they fit and look. They add a nice touch to the bike

milbrua
08-28-2007, 02:06 AM
I have the Wunderlich bars. They came with sticky-backed foam padding to install in rub areas, but I didn't need it. I am very pleased with them. I got the satin finish, which looks nice, but I have since read some posts by people claiming that the paint can chip.

-Bruce

cruisincruzan
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I have an '06 RT and have had both the Wunderlichs and Touratechs (which are on the bike now). I prefer the Touratechs because they have a longer straight section which is more highway peg friendly which was important to me. As a bonus I prefer the stainless steel of the Touratech as opposed to the painted or chromed Wunderlichs. They were equally easy to install and no damage to any painted parts from either.

reimerdavid
08-28-2007, 08:56 PM
I have Touatech on my RT. They are really close to the plastic, but I don't worry about chaffing. Can't see it, anyway. I don't think the plastic will come off without removing the bars. I took them off for the 600. It's easier the third time around. I would have went with the wonder bars, but I prefered the cylinder protection from the Touatech...I guess there is always a trade off?

Gary

Thanx for the info. I have decided to go with the Wunderlich. Dave