PDA

View Full Version : GS Tank Bags

The_Veg
08-26-2007, 06:55 PM
OK another shopping-question.

Who likes what tank bag on their GS and why?

redclfco
08-26-2007, 08:29 PM
OK another shopping-question.

Who likes what tank bag on their GS and why?

I tell ya Wolfman "all around" is the ticket! You won'tfind it in Areosmith mag, but will find it on the wolfman site.

Holds more than most, I think even I could fit inside if I had to:brad , dosen't wobble, even at slab speeds and has a great removable map pocket.

The bonus? You can leave on both the external bags, and if you turn really sharp turns to the left, you can honk your horn! Seriously the one drawback is the left external pocket does beep the horn, but I just "jury rigged" it back a bit, and now I'm fine. It's everything I wanted in a tank bag, and tough as a rock!

PS The horn honking is from adding even more room to the bag with two external removable/adjustable bags. Don't want to honk? Move the bag!

SNC1923
08-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I like my Touratech standard tank bag. It's roomy, functional, has a L A R G E map pocket, is thoughtfully designed, and fits the tank perfectly. It has a new pan surface and--so far--has left no marks on the tank finish.

On the down side, it has no internal organizational pockets. You have to buy some kind of small case to hold all your odds and ends. I have found this convenient, though, as it makes it easy to transport them all from bike to house, etc.

BMW has come out with a new GS tank rucksack. I would take a hard look at that one, also.

Neither of the above bags interferes with the handlebars at all.

http://SNC1923.smugmug.com/photos/159728605-M.jpg

http://SNC1923.smugmug.com/photos/162862959-M.jpg

henzilla
08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
any on the bike shots?:wave

OldNuke
08-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Wolfman Expedition is my favorite. Use it on both of my bikes-R1200GS Adv, R100GSPD. Needs no raincover, doesn't hit the horn button and clears the crossover bar. www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/LgExpTankBag.html

RUNAWAY
08-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I recently purchased a used 2005, 1200GS. Bike came with the BMW tank bag. The previous owner had installed bar-backs, which I loke a lot.
The problem is the bar-backs interfere with the front mounting attahment, making the bag un-useable as long as the bar-backs are in place.

Just thought I would pass this on as a heads up.

If anyone has a solution to this, it would be much appreciated.

SNC1923
08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I recently purchased a used 2005, 1200GS. Bike came with the BMW tank bag. The previous owner had installed bar-backs, which I loke a lot.
The problem is the bar-backs interfere with the front mounting attahment, making the bag un-useable as long as the bar-backs are in place.

Just thought I would pass this on as a heads up.

If anyone has a solution to this, it would be much appreciated.

There is a solution, but it costs $300. This is specifically why BMW designed the new rucksack (what they call their tankbag). The old one, which was huge interfered with the GSA crossbar. The new one is a more moderate size, though still quite large, and has the added benefit of an internal water-proof liner. Normally these drive me crazy, but it tucks away nicely. BMW loves to waterproof stuff from the inside, which always confounded me, but what are you going to do? They're German.

podsobinski
08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Right now I would pick the Wolfman Explorer. Very durable and all the side, front and back little zippered pouches. I bought one with my new '02 GS and it finally gave out 5 years and 70,000 miles latter. The main zipper gave out, it lost its shape from my belly rubbing on it everytime I got on and off and it faded. I was so proud of it, it is hanging in my garage like a trophy. New one this spring and they are even better. Cost is great when you compare BMW's and Touratech.

Gpodzo

You can forget what you do for a living when your knees are in the breeze.

gsjay
08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
I like my Touratech standard tank bag. It's roomy, functional, has a L A R G E map pocket, is thoughtfully designed, and fits the tank perfectly. It has a new pan surface and--so far--has left no marks on the tank finish.

On the down side, it has no internal organizational pockets. You have to buy some kind of small case to hold all your odds and ends. I have found this convenient, though, as it makes it easy to transport them all from bike to house, etc.

BMW has come out with a new GS tank rucksack. I would take a hard look at that one, also.

Neither of the above bags interferes with the handlebars at all.

http://SNC1923.smugmug.com/photos/159728605-M.jpg

http://SNC1923.smugmug.com/photos/162862959-M.jpg

I've used the Touratech bag on both my 1150 & 1200 GS. I would highly recommend it.
I took mine to the local shop repair shop and had some pen/pencil loops sewed into the lid on the inside to help with organization.
The bag is surprisingly waterproof in all but the worst storms.
jason

henzilla
08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Tried fitting my RT's Touratech Flat Bag to GS, fit well. No outside pockets like gsjay's and a bit lower profile. just had to add some dual lock strips to front( since RT uses the top tank rail to hold straps) and rear mounts. The front dual lock was right on edge of tank out of eyesight The two twist knob fasteners in front are easier than snap buckles on a Cortech that came with bike. the straps in one close upahead of front mounts are the Cortech still in place. As in gsjay's nice large removable map pocket and seems to be very waterproof after all day rainathon. I can carry Autocomm unit,FRS radio, camera, glasses,Ipod and acc outlets with some room to spare. It has pen holders and a zipper compartment in top flap.

some pics:
http://henzilla.smugmug.com/gallery/3381891#188897051

henzilla
08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
:doh Sorry there SNC1923, it is your tankbags and not gsjays

wanderer
08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Another fan of the Wolfman Explorer. Eric's also great to do business with. Will answer any questions you may have. I switched from Marsee which sagged and flopped around after a few years and maybe 40K. The Marsee had foam sides sewn into it which sagged. The Wolfman has plastic sheets to hold it's shape. These are also in pockets so they can be changed if necessary. It's a very well thought out bag. The design fits a GS perfectly and doesn't budge at triple digit speed. Obviously I'm a happy cutomer. I also got a seat bag from Wolfman because of my satisfaction with the tankbag. Good luck!! :bikes

SNC1923
08-28-2007, 04:57 PM
:doh Sorry there SNC1923, it is your tankbags and not gsjays

NHNF (No harm, no foul).