PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure r1200rt

SPOWELL
08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
I have a r1200rt, 2007..What's the best tire pressures to run?

greenwald
08-24-2007, 08:55 PM
MOM - Motorcycle's Owner's Manual. Take a look. Tire pressure indicated on the side of any tire is simply the MAXIMUM pressure that tire should ever have to hold - not necessarily the recommended one.

Your owner's manual will give you recommendations, depending on your load.

You will also find a sticker somewhere on the bike that gives you similar pressures to set the tires at.

When a bike is manufactured, tires of a specific size, strength and gross weight capacity are purposely selected - that has a lot to do with the recommended pressures. As MSF instructors, we are provided with some pretty interesting info from the tire manufacturers themselves, and this is always a lively debate with my students. Same may be true here too.

These 'rules' hold true for four-wheeled vehicles as well. Very few people run the proper pressure in their tires. So much easier to just read the sidewall and pump them up.

I run 36 PSI in the front and 42 PSI in the rear of my R1200RT. Have gotten 11,000+ miles out of my first set of Michelin Pilot Roads, and the second set now on the bike is looking just as good.

Good Luck, and enjoy this incredible BMW!

billyb
08-27-2007, 02:34 AM
Hi; I too have an 06 12RT and the dealer reccomended
36 and 42 PSI. The owners manual says for one up 32 and 36 and I have been going down the middle with 34 and 38 PSI.

My question is have you found a good pressure not only for wear but
for good traction on gravel/sand etc on the road.

I must be looking for something that doesn't exist as far as traction goes?

Thanks for your experience

Bill

greenwald
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey billyb - good morning.

You ask a good question - one that has several answers, depending on your perspectives when it comes to adjusting tire pressure in exchange for changes in traction.

My dealer actually recommended going with max pressure, as indicated on the sidewall, in order to acheive max mileage. Problem is, that stiffens the ride too much, and does not make the journey pleasant.

The pressures I use work well for a comfortable blend of mileage and soft ride, so I go with what works for me.

You mention riding in gravel and dirt. I do not have much experience with that style of motoring (other than my Motor Officer training days), so I would defer to others who may speak up on this part of your inquiry.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.

hlothery
08-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I have a r1200rt, 2007..What's the best tire pressures to run?

I have 22K on my 2005, am finishing up the 2nd set of Michelin Pilot Roads. I ride mostly two-up, have always run 36 front, 42 rear. Good smooth ride, long wear on the tires. Just my $.02. YMMV.

deilenberger
08-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Moved to Hexheads..

And reply to the OP - is there some reason you don't trust the recommended settings from BMW? Are they part of some evil plot or something> :dunno

SPOWELL
08-30-2007, 12:42 PM
After purchase of the mc I ran the suggested tire pressure per the owner's manual.

The 6000 mile maintenance was recently performed & I noticed the air pressure had been increased several pounds over the ownerÔÇÖs manual recommendation.

As this is my first BMW sought the advice of experienced BMW riders. I have owned Harley Davidsons for many years and always bumped the pressure one to two pounds depending on the tire and model bike.

Also I recall years ago with the introduction of auto radial tires, tire pressures were regularly increased 5 lbs. or so above the manufacturers recommendation.

I really appreciate everyoneÔÇÖs response and assistance.

hlothery
08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Moved to Hexheads..

And reply to the OP - is there some reason you don't trust the recommended settings from BMW? Are they part of some evil plot or something> :dunno

Actually......that's what I thought I was doing.:scratch

deilenberger
08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Actually......that's what I thought I was doing.:scratchMy reply was the to "OP" (Original Poster..) :banghead

hlothery
08-30-2007, 07:29 PM
My reply was the to "OP" (Original Poster..) :banghead

Sorry to cause you such frustration.

akbeemer
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
I always run the BMW recommended 36 front / 42 rear for two up riding; works well. I also run nitrogen in the tires. Is supposed to increase tire and wheel life (who knows), but it definitely retains pressure far better than air.

rebus
09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I always run the BMW recommended 36 front / 42 rear for two up riding; works well. I also run nitrogen in the tires. Is supposed to increase tire and wheel life (who knows), but it definitely retains pressure far better than air.

Did you know that air already contains 78% nitrogen? We have a local tire dealer that charges an extra $4 per tire (auto) to use nitrogen instead of air. From what I have read, its a rip off unless maybe you're driving an F1 car.

marcopolo
09-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I run 38F/42R in the tires on my R12RT. I've had Dunlops, Metzelers, and now Michelin Pilot Roads. I've run the same pressures in all. I also look at the tire manufacturers' websites, as they often have tire fitment charts with their recommended pressures. In my view, BMW's recommended pressures may give the best ride, but not necessarily the best mileage, which is understandable.

greenwald
09-02-2007, 12:37 PM
The theory behind running nitrogen in tires is that, since nitrogen molecules are 'larger' than common air ( a mix of oxygen, nirogen, other inert gases), it does not leak thru the valves and therefore retains your set air pressure more consistently.

Also, supposedly reacts less to changes in temp and humidity.

Personally, I have never had any serious problems with 'air,' and plan to continue using same.

To each, their own.

Ride Alert!

SPOWELL
09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I feel much more comfortable about the tire pressure in my r1200rt.

I really appreciate the help you folks provided. While not new to motorcycling , this is my first BMW. The loyalty of the BMW customers and their willingness to share their experiences is most refreshing.

Unlike the Harley Owners Group, the majority riding in their prefitted dew rags , the BMW riders seem to enoy sharing their knowledge anbd love for riding in a very realistic manner.

Again thanks to all (with the exception of tthe MOA Ambassador, I guess some folks HAVE to say something, even when they don't know the answer) for your help.

hass
09-02-2007, 11:19 PM
My manual says 2.2 bar (32 psi) front and 2.5 bar (36 psi) rear for solo riding and 2.5 (36) front and 2.9 (42) rear for two-up.

Although this setting gives a smoother ride I feel it slows the handling somewhat. So I have decided to follow it exactly when two-up.

However, when riding solo I have been using my own custom set up:

2.3 (33.3) front and 2.7 (39) rear.

I find this handles well, warms up nicely (goes up to 2.4/2.8 or 34.8/40.6 after the tyres are warmed up), and isn't too rough over the bumps.

It should be said that I am a little on the heavy side so this might also explain why I prefer a little more pressure.

mcclaro1
09-28-2007, 02:32 AM
I replaced my OEM BT020s with the new BT021s. My dealer installed them and recommended max pressures (indicated on sidewalls) front and rear. He said Metzler recommends the same.

With about 2k miles I have very even wear and the BT021 ride is softer at higher pressures than BT020s set according to the BMW manual.