PDA

View Full Version : New to BMW. Please clarify.....

burmbuster
08-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Is the R1100S a hex head or just an oil head bike and has anyone added panniers to theirs? Would it make a good touring bike for a few trips a year?

Thanks,
Brad

darrylri
08-21-2007, 02:11 AM
The 1100s and 1150s (and the 1200C) are oilheads (because of the separate oil pump and oil circuit around the exhaust valves), which distinguishes them from the previous boxers which are airheads.

The 1200s are hexheads, mostly because of the reshaped valve covers (but there are significant technical differences from the oilhead motors, even if they do look pretty similar otherwise).

The 1100S can take saddlebags and people do tour on them. A "good touring bike"? That's a matter of personal taste. They have a more leaned forward position, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.

FredRydr
08-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Is the R1100S a hex head or just an oil head bike and has anyone added panniers to theirs? Would it make a good touring bike for a few trips a year?

Brad,

The founder of the hexhead forum may curse me for this, but here goes: All hexheads are oilheads, but not all oilheads are hexheads. You'd be better served to find answers by posting R1100S questions on the oilhead list.

Just install a pair of BMW case rails and pick up a pair of pannier cases new from the dealer or used from several sources, key the locks to your bike, and go!

Just be glad you can do this. The R1200S (a hexhead) accepts no cases - damn shame, but I understand. Truly I do. :rolleyes

Fred

burmbuster
08-21-2007, 02:50 AM
Thank you both for your response. I'm trying to play "catch up" here to get to know the brand and the different bikes. I plan on making a purchase yet it seems every time I get caught up on one model I run into another model that gets me guessing again. My use is mainly commuting a few times a week and maybe a trip or two a year. I was first thinking of a new K1200R Sport but I don't think it will fit my strolls around town due to the long wheel base. Then I got hung up on the new F800 ST and oh wait, that sure is a good looking R1100S! Know what I mean?

Brad

deilenberger
08-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Thank you both for your response. I'm trying to play "catch up" here to get to know the brand and the different bikes. I plan on making a purchase yet it seems every time I get caught up on one model I run into another model that gets me guessing again. My use is mainly commuting a few times a week and maybe a trip or two a year. I was first thinking of a new K1200R Sport but I don't think it will fit my strolls around town due to the long wheel base. Then I got hung up on the new F800 ST and oh wait, that sure is a good looking R1100S! Know what I mean?

BradBrad - unless you're ready to buy it - don't take a ride on an R1200R - as all of us R1200R owners did. It's addictive.

greenwald
08-21-2007, 12:18 PM
So is the very popular R1200RT an 'oilhead' or a 'hexhead?'

SNC1923
08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
So is the very popular R1200RT an 'oilhead' or a 'hexhead?'

All 1200s are hexheads, with the exception of the short-lived R1200Cs, the cruisers.

adamceckhardt
09-06-2007, 11:31 PM

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

I owned a 2001 1100S for a year and LOVED it, but traded it for an '06 GS because I was uncomfortable after 100 miles or so. Great for getting to work and trips around town, but in my own opinion, it wasn't the perfect long-distance bike for me. Too much forward lean. Either way you go, I'm sure you'll love the bike!

The_Veg
09-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I know one person of very small stature who loves the 1100S because she can stretch out on it, and I know one 6'5" freak who loves it too. I'm 6'4" and while I've never ridden one, I've sat on a few and they feel to me like they'd be fun for short distances but not much else.

PGlaves
09-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Voni's R1100S now has 56K touring miles on it. She likes it for touring about as well as she likes her R1100RS. High mile days are not a problem for her on either bike. And, it is an Oilhead.

easy
09-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I would stay away from the Hexheads until BMW does something about the final drive issue. I'd get a later model oilhead, with two sparkplugs, less chance of a hesitation issue. You'll also save some money.

Easy :german

deilenberger
09-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I would stay away from the Hexheads until BMW does something about the final drive issue. I'd get a later model oilhead, with two sparkplugs, less chance of a hesitation issue. You'll also save some money.

Easy :germanI hate to say it - but the "oilheads" have much more of a "final drive issue" than the hexheads.

Apparently two drive failures in the IB have now blown into every hexhead having a final drive issue.

I can assure you - that's wrong.

bikerfish1100
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
60,000 on my R11S. Has been x-country a few times, and logged many many 500+ mile days. Love it.
Rottenbiker has 72,000 on her R11S, and completed The Iron Butt (the real one- the11,000 miles in 11 days version) on it.
so yeah, they're fine for touring, as well as canyon carving, local riding, etc. A great "do it all" bike- tho it's less than perfect in GS territory.

tkljr
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Brad,

Just install a pair of BMW case rails and pick up a pair of pannier cases new from the dealer or used from several sources, key the locks to your bike, and go!

Just be glad you can do this. The R1200S (a hexhead) accepts no cases - damn shame, but I understand. Truly I do. :rolleyes

Fred

Not true, side cases have been available for the R1200s for over six months. I have them on mine.

redclfco
09-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I hate to say it - but the "oilheads" have much more of a "final drive issue" than the hexheads.

Apparently two drive failures in the IB have now blown into every hexhead having a final drive issue.

Here here!

Careful now, you will attract in black helicopters with that line of thinking!:D

gulfcoastbeemer
09-21-2007, 03:42 PM

All bikes have "issues". Airheads have "issues". Oilheads have "issues". Even the venerable K75 has "issues".

Is the hexhead final drive "issue" serious enough to warrant not owning one? I guess that on all depends on whether you are more obsessed with possible failure or probable success.

If you lost your standing in the Iron Butt Rally because of a failed final drive -- does that mean you should consider a Harley-Davidson Sportster in the next rally? After all, it did finish 3rd.

FredRydr
09-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Not true, side cases have been available for the R1200s for over six months. I have them on mine.Very cool. Apparently the hue and cry was so loud that BMW made a kit to fit cases to R1200S bikes, including bikes made before the kit came out.

Fred
'07 R1200R

jimvonbaden
09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I hate to say it - but the "oilheads" have much more of a "final drive issue" than the hexheads.

Careful Don! Soon they will be accusing you of partaking in the Kool Aid like they do me! :lol

By the way, I agree with Don in case you didn't get it!:thumb

Jim :brow