PDA

View Full Version : Lowering footpegs on R1200RT

Madhatter
08-16-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm new to riding and got an RT about 4 months ago. On longer rides (say 4-6 hours), one of my knees begins to ache. I'm about 6'4" and the seat seemed a little low. So, I got a Corbin and had it built up a 1/2". I like the way the new seat feels, but it hasn't helped with the knee pain. So I ordered a peg lowering kit from Suburban Machinery. :D
My dealer raised reservations about scraping pegs and having reduced clearance with the kit installed. He said he knew several people who removed the peg extensions and just learned to ride for shorter intervals. :cry
My questions to those with experience are: How much do you notice the loss of clearance with lower foot pegs? Is it a problem? Has anyone reverted to the original footpeg height after using a lowering kit? If so, why?
I'm going to give them a try, but I'd appreciate the perspective of other riders. What do I need to look-out for? Any installation advice?
Thanks in advance,

Jack

08-16-2007, 12:26 PM
I have the Suburban lowing kit. Now problems at all. I donÔÇÖt know where your dealer hears the crap. But you will like them. You will put them on in 10 min and be off on your ride.
Easy install, the instructions come with it Joe

randkbmw
08-16-2007, 12:32 PM
One of the first mods I made to my new 1200RT was the peg lowering kit. Makes a big difference on even shorter rides. Instructions are very straight forward and if I can do it anyone can!! I don't think you will find scraping the pegs a problem. If so just enter the turn a little slower!!!
Ross

hlothery
08-16-2007, 07:41 PM
I have the Suburban lowing kit. Now problems at all. I donÔÇÖt know where your dealer hears the crap. But you will like them. You will put them on in 10 min and be off on your ride.
Easy install, the instructions come with it Joe

Just wondering.....cause I was considering this also. Did they require any change, adjustment, etc of the shifter?

08-17-2007, 01:05 AM
I have no problem with the brakes or shifter. I like where they are . Joe:type

hercheybar
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
I had the same problem with my knees on longer rides.
I raised the seat to the high position and it helped.
I didn't want to lose ground clearance by lowering the pegs.
It's cool when cruiser bike buddies wonder how I can lean a bike with luggage over so far.:clap :clap :clap
I also take a few tylenol before longer

Tom K.
08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I have no problem with the brakes or shifter. I like where they are . Joe:type
Same here. With the partially linked brakes, it's rarely necessary to use the brake pedal and it took only a few miles to acclimate to the new shifting position.
Tom

hlothery
08-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Same here. With the partially linked brakes, it's rarely necessary to use the brake pedal and it took only a few miles to acclimate to the new shifting position.
Tom

Looks like I'm gonna have more 'splaining to do to my wife when I order this new addition......:bolt

Effjay
08-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Last Saturday, I purchased my '07 RT (having just 514 miles) on consignment from the original selling SoCal BMW dealer. It already had Suburban peg lowering (and Suburban bar risers) installed as well as a Touratech shift lever. I immediately found that the brake pedal was way too high, requiring me lift my boot off the peg to engage (I'm old school and always use hand brake lever and brake pedal in unison). Using the brake pedal in the higher position resulted in awkward braking action, so that afternoon I lowered it to the same height as the Touratech item using the threaded rod adjustment to compensate for the peg drop height. I did have to buy a longer metric machine screw for the brake return stop. Not a big deal and now all is well.

Jeff

Here's a pic of the Touratech shift lever:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/media2/01-047-0140-01-lg.jpg?-session=touratech:2FA407991471F0E0306D133E71E9F348

Tom K.
08-17-2007, 09:32 PM
(I'm old school and always use hand brake lever and brake pedal in unison)

Jeff, you might want to re-think using both lever and pedal on a semi-linked RT brake system. When the lever only is used, the bike computes the proper F/R braking balance - so using the pedal in addition will bias your brakes to the rear. Apparently, this has resulted in accelerated rear pad wear, plus it isn't the safest practice.

This thread may provide some info:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17514

1analguy
08-18-2007, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=TomfromMD;232387]Jeff, you might want to re-think using both lever and pedal on a semi-linked RT brake system. When the lever only is used, the bike computes the proper F/R braking balance - so using the pedal in addition will bias your brakes to the rear. Apparently, this has resulted in accelerated rear pad wear, plus it isn't the safest practice. QUOTE]

Oh God! Not this again...when will it end?!?

First, this thread is about the footpeg/pedal relationship, not that old "your-bike-is-way-smarter-than-you" legend.

Second, the brakes are linked through the hand lever...we get it, alright? But you forget: his bike has ABS (that will operate independent of the linked brakes), which is going to prevent any safety issues that might have resulted (from uneven application) from cropping up. That's the only reason for ABS to exist: it prevents the front and rear wheels from locking or decelerating at different rates. It will do this even with linked brakes. You could stand on the rear brake pedal, or grab the front brake lever with both hands and the ABS would still save your bacon, regardless of what kind of F/R balance is built into the system! As for increased rear pad wear...possibly, but the rider should brake in whatever way he/she always has in the past so no thought (i.e.: lost time) is required in a "panic" situation. In ABS we trust...

I'm sorry, did I say that out loud? I just put Suburban's bar risers on my RT tonight and haven't tried them yet, but I've been wondering the same thing regarding the lowering pegs: ground clearance. I'm older now and don't really feel the need to scrape my knees on my touring bike, so I might be OK with the lower pegs.

Effjay
08-18-2007, 05:27 PM
<snip>...

I'm sorry, did I say that out loud? I just put Suburban's bar risers on my RT tonight and haven't tried them yet, but I've been wondering the same thing regarding the lowering pegs: ground clearance. I'm older now and don't really feel the need to scrape my knees on my touring bike, so I might be OK with the lower pegs.

My time on the new scoot has been limited, however I did ride with my FJR1300 buds last Sunday at a brisk (but not gonzo pace) on 2-lane roads with a number of tight turns. I was in "normal" ESA mode and had no clearance issues whatsoever. So far, no reason for me to even consider removing the Suburban peg lowering kit! BTW, I'm "older now" too having just turned six-oh!

Jeff

Madhatter
08-19-2007, 04:03 AM
Thanks to all who have posted. As suggested, I have tried taking more frequent breaks and pre-medicating with Motrin, my drug of choice (after caffeine). But even so I still get knee pain on the long rides. I don't remember my standard issue 18 year-old knees aching like this.
So far no responses strongly against the lowering kit. I'm a little surprised; I thought someone would have a negative review. And no one has complained that the lower clearance has caused problems in the twisties. So I'm pretty excited that the lowering kit may really help. I also wonder if I'll need to adjust the shifter and brake pedal (MSF trained, so I use the rear brake pedal). Will update after kit arrives.

-- Jack

Effjay
08-20-2007, 01:37 AM
I took some measurements and pics, then posted a new "ergos" thread at the BMWST site. Maybe you will find it useful...

Jeff

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/910316/an/0/page/0#Post910316

hlothery
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks to all who have posted. As suggested, I have tried taking more frequent breaks and pre-medicating with Motrin, my drug of choice (after caffeine). But even so I still get knee pain on the long rides. I don't remember my standard issue 18 year-old knees aching like this.
So far no responses strongly against the lowering kit. I'm a little surprised; I thought someone would have a negative review. And no one has complained that the lower clearance has caused problems in the twisties. So I'm pretty excited that the lowering kit may really help. I also wonder if I'll need to adjust the shifter and brake pedal (MSF trained, so I use the rear brake pedal). Will update after kit arrives.

-- Jack

I'll tell you another thing I have done.....just had my right knee replaced on June 11th, so I know about knee pain (and being old!). I installed foot pegs on the heads using Hawks Products brackets and regular BMW matching foot pegs. I use them to give my right knee a break for just a few minutes as I ride. This really seems to help....and is also nice for cooling off your legs on a hot Texas afternoon. They are controversial from a visual perspective.....some hate em, some like em. They work for me, but I also may add the lowering kit.

Also, sorry to respectfully disagree with 1analguy, but I have taught myself to only use the lever for RT braking and it is so nice and simple, so old habits can be overcome. I only use the brake pedal for trail braking on rare occasions when I might be doing some aggressive cornering. (Did I mention I was getting old?) However, YMMV. :wave

Vandy2
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Suburban make a nice product. In the instruction it said to remove the foot peg and remove the steel plate on the inboard side of the rubber sleeve and set aside. I took that to mean it was not be used, however the pegs rattled. I put the plate back on, no rattle. I also lowered the shifter one notch. this worked great. I may have to lower the brake lever, but not sure I want to mess with the linkage.
How hard is this to do? Thank you

milbrua
08-25-2007, 03:19 AM
At 6'-7", my knees hit the faring on a stock RT. The Suburban Machinery kit makes it quite comfortable. I spent nine hours on my RT last Friday and arrived home ready for more. No problems with scrapping the pegs, but I did have to lower the brake pedal to the point of requiring a longer stop bolt. Works fine now. Also installed the extended shift lever from Suburban Machinery, which adds a bit more comfort.

-Bruce

ghyber
09-02-2009, 04:02 AM
I just removed what I believe are Suburban-Machinery's footper lowering kit because the side stand was rubbing and scuffing the side stand.

I wrote an email to Suburban-Machinery requesting suggestions and or solutions as I really enjoy riding with the pegs lowered: 5'10".

ghyber
09-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Here's a picture of what the sidestand looks like from the scuffing.

Nocanpickem
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I can't perscribe for anyone else but I can relay my experience.

During the test ride on the RT, I knew the peg and bar position were wrong for me. I asked the dealer to install risers for the bars and lower the pegs.

I have about 7500 miles on the bike now and am a happy camper.

I occassionally had issues with my knees on the LT. They are gone.

I had lower back strain solved on the LT with a kidney belt. I no longer use the belt and have had no problems.

I even find that by using underarmour shorts that the seat is fine.

Like I said everyone is different and am just reporting my experience.

Karl;)

09-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I put on a loweing kit from suburban and it works great. i moved the shift lever up one notch. you might think about highway pegs also. those two things do a lot to relieve knee pain for me.
good luck

ghyber
09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Well if your kit is from Suburban-Machinery, have a look at the clearance between your side stand and the adapter.

When I mention clearance, I am not referring to the clearance between the footpeg and asphalt. I am referring to the static clearance between two parts when the prop stand or side stand is being retracted.

I have had a bad experience with Suburban-Machinery and I won't buy anything directly or indirectly from them.

valvman1
09-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I've decided to remove the Suburban Mach peg lowering kit 'cause of dragging the pegs too often on the twisties even though, at 6' 4'' I find they definitely improve comfort. I've been using them several months and 7 or 8 thousand miles. There's no doubt that the peg lowering kit significantly affects ground clearance ( they not only move the pegs down about 1 1/2" in but move them out about 3/4" as well). I have a Rick Mayer saddle that raises me about an inch from stock high position..that helps too. Also have SB bar riser kit installed.. like it. For those who wonder about the need to adjust control positions, I don't think it's reasonable to install the kit w/out adjusting them. BTW I'm not so fast that I was grounding the pegs in stock position.

Dave Bogue
'08 R1200rt

ken e
09-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Madhatter Jack,
Those peg lowering kits are $$. What I did on my R1200RT and old K75 was to remove the thick spongy rubber sleeve off the foot pegs. Lowered foot 3/4", helped my 34" inseemed knees greatly.

For traction I attached tire tread on top. Cut up an old ME33 front tire & screwed down for the K75, mountain bike tread safety wired on top of RT peg. Not pretty, but works for me. Left the shift / brake levers in stock position also.

I'd like to investigate bone yards to see if there is another peg out there with rubber inserts and low height.

Ken.