PDA

View Full Version : Quick ride R1200GS

hass
08-14-2007, 03:19 PM
I left my R for its 1000km service today and rode home on a borrowed GS. Here's my first impressions:

The good:
You sit really high up which gives a great overview of the traffic.
Basically same engine as my R although it did feel somewhat more rough (maybe that's just because mine is so new)

The bad:
It's noisy! I tried putting the shield in both the high and low settings and it was still extremely noisy. I commute without earplugs and it was almost unbareable!
It was only 27.5C (81.5F) and I was toast! The wind protection is adequate but in city traffic that means you bake... I think it was cooler on my K12S.
I didn't feel the bike had the same low CofG that the R has and therefore wasn't as instantly confidence inspiring.
It's heavy and a little work to lift off the sidestand if the ground happens to lean that way.

To summarize:
If you want a 2-up tourer it's a good choice but personally in that situation I would buy the RT instead. As a commuter or weekend carver the R is in my opinion much much better. If I was riding off-road I would personally prefer a smaller lighter bike. So, basically I am happy with my choice and have no desire at all to buy a GS. (Which is good as my wife would kill me if I did!)

henzilla
08-14-2007, 06:30 PM
I left my R for its 1000km service today and rode home on a borrowed GS. Here's my first impressions:

The good:
Basically same engine as my R although it did feel somewhat more rough (maybe that's just because mine is so new)

The bad:
It's noisy! I tried putting the shield in both the high and low settings and it was still extremely noisy. I commute without earplugs and it was almost unbareable!
It was only 27.5C (81.5F) and I was toast! The wind protection is adequate but in city traffic that means you bake... I think it was cooler on my K12S.
I didn't feel the bike had the same low CofG that the R has and therefore wasn't as instantly confidence inspiring.
It's heavy and a little work to lift off the sidestand if the ground happens to lean that way.
To summarize:
If you want a 2-up tourer it's a good choice but personally in that situation I would buy the RT instead. As a commuter or weekend carver the R is in my opinion much much better. If I was riding off-road I would personally prefer a smaller lighter bike. So, basically I am happy with my choice and have no desire at all to buy a GS. (Which is good as my wife would kill me if I did!)

my only "gripe" is the leaning on the sidestand on an angle...learned to preplan parking better after the second ride...need some major quad muscles to get that gal upright! I love the RT and the R's...but the GS is a fun ride for me...and no wife to kill me...:stick :laugh

The_Veg
08-14-2007, 10:59 PM
For me, the height is an ergonomic godsend as I'm one of those big strapping guys well over six feet.

If I understand correctly, the R has the most powerful version of the 1200 engine and the GS has the least-powerful version (still enough power to scare me silly though!). Can't say about the roughness; could be any of many reasons.

This is a common complaint, and aftermarket windscreens for GS's are big business. I find it noisy but not beyond the ability of earplugs to deal with.

That's interesting- the GS is *WAY TALLER* than my R100R, and I have the GS's seat set all the way up. I find the GS to be MUCH more sure-footed in the corners, making some that scared me before seem easy. But then my R and your R are several generations apart and handle nothing like each other.

I think that that depends on the rider.

Very interesting review. I would love to borrow an R and see what I think. Or just about any other model BMW.

Rich
08-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Your real problem was the "Quick ride". :laugh

Actually, put on a decent windscreen (Givi) along with the winglets and you have the perfect bike.

Really. Trust me!

hass
08-15-2007, 06:25 AM
I already have the perfect bike (for me at least) ... an R1200R :heart

henzilla
08-15-2007, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=The_Veg;231507]
If I understand correctly, the R has the most powerful version of the 1200 engine and the GS has the least-powerful version (still enough power to scare me silly though!). QUOTE]

R- 109 HP Final ratio 2.75:1 dry weight 437lbs

RT-110HP '' '' 2.62:1 " " 505lbs

ST-110HP " " 2.62:1 ' " 452lbs

GS 100HP " " 2.82:1 " " 439lbs

trannies gearing looks close...was surprised RT and ST shared FD ratios have had opportunities to ride all of them ...the ST feels faster to me, prob the agressive seating stance

And I agree ...the GS is more than powerful enough... We were coming out of the Big Bend area and tested an '06 GS against my '05 RT...both of us around 195 lbs...he was with me until the last section of our "flat see for miles test run" I cranked the windscreen up to max however and he caught me! :laugh maybe 5MPH top end diff, which GPS said was 132 for me