PDA

View Full Version : GS driving lights

henzilla
08-14-2007, 12:52 PM
morning all...

In process of adding Hella FF200 lights to the '05 GS, wanted to trigger relay off of high beam lead. I have the Motolites triggered off the tail light currently without issues.
Anyone running off the hi-beam? wanted them to come on with hi-beam unless switched off

henzilla
08-14-2007, 06:31 PM
:lurk :dunno

anybody???????

deilenberger
08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Steve - I think you may be a pioneer here.

As long as the lights are run through a relay where the coil power for the relay is provided by the high-beam circuit, I doubt very much if you would have any sort of problem. I suspect the current draw is so small that even the FZE "lamp-out" warning function would continue to work.

Let us know how it works out..

cruisincruzan
08-15-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure if this info would help. I have an '06 RT which I have wired Hella DE HID driving lights. I have an on-off switch wired so that in the on position they are slaved to the high beam, (tapped the high beam lead) and in the off position are always off. No issues at all and serious light when on, especially since they are augmenting the 2 HID low beams I have.

henzilla
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks...got all wired in and ziptied harness except for relay trigger wire, temporarily tapped into taillight lead until tonites garage session after the sun sets.( It's that time of year when we get to gripe about the weather...95 degrees at 9PM:bluduh ) I just need to run to hi beam lead since I want it to do what you described.
I lit them up on ride in this morning....WOW! :thumb between yellow Moto Lites and that high beam capability of the Hellas...Can you see me NOW?

henzilla
08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
moved the trigger wire for the relay to the hi-beam last night, there is a nice rubber plug /vent on rear of housing the wire enters . small area to maneuver a solder iron, but doable! ...cleanly!...Hella switch stays on and lights are switched off of hi-beam switch. Can turn off Hellas if I surpass the # of lights rule in some states since the MotoLites will be on ALL the time for the "see me" effect

All in all a clean look since the Hellas are oval shaped as is the headlight and the commute in was well lit for sure

wsteinborn
10-19-2007, 11:08 PM
....I have an '06 RT which I have wired Hella DE HID driving lights. I have an on-off switch wired so that in the on position they are slaved to the high beam, (tapped the high beam lead) and in the off position are always off. ....

That is exactly what I am trying to do, but.... what did you use for brackets?

blast54
10-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I just installed Hella DE's last week on my RT.
Some folks are using the brackets for the siren on the RTP....a little expensive for my taste.

The mounting points for the police siren does give a solid mounting point though.
I made two brackets out of 1*8 x 3/4" stock that lets the lights mount just below the directionals.

You need a welder to accomplish this. No big deal though.
I used a Bosch relay and tapped into the high beam circuit.
Zip tied the ballasts to the sub frame ?? and was all set to go.

It is now like daylight after dark and the deer run back into the woods to hide :D

I was going to take pictures during the install but the CF card was in the house and I got lazy....sorry.

I can take pics with the lights mounted but would have to remove fairing to photo the installation.... Next time I have the fairing off I will do that.

HTH
Bill