PDA

View Full Version : '06 r1200gs fuel filter

charleshickman
08-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I had an '02 r1150r and moved to an '06 r1200gs last october. I like to do as much of the service as I can myself. My gs has 15500 miles on it, mostly from a trip to alaska I took this summer. I've been chipping away at the overdue 12000 mile service and have the following questions, comments.

There is no service interval chart in the Rider's Manual. I called BMW NA and was told, basically, that they want you to take it to the dealer. Are the service intervals the same as for my '02?

My '02 manual called for fuel filter replacement at 24K miles. I looked in the '06 warranty book and there is a fuel filter replacement called for at 16K miles. I called two dealers and was told by both that there is no separate fuel filter for this bike, it is integral with the fuel tank access plate, and they only replace them if there is a problem. The BMW NA customer service guy found the warranty info and said 16K is correct. What is everybody doing?

ricoshay
08-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I also do my own maintenance on my 05-R12RT and it appears that there is no fuel filter to change. Only a strainer on the inlet to the fuel pump. At least that's all I've been able to find in searches of the on-line parts manuals at realoem and maxbmw.

I haven't removed the fuel pump on my RT to examine the strainer but a typical "strainer" would be a screen that you could clean and seldom actually replace unless it failed. My old K-bikes had/have strainers on the fuel pump inlets that would eventually crack or rip open and need to be replaced.

If you do find a fuel filter for your bike, please share. :thumb

16142305974 strainer $30

cmartin
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM
All the information you could ever want for the R1200GS

http://www.micapeak.com/bike/R1200GS/

cjack
08-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I also do my own maintenance on my 05-R12RT and it appears that there is no fuel filter to change. Only a strainer on the inlet to the fuel pump. At least that's all I've been able to find in searches of the on-line parts manuals at realoem and maxbmw.

I haven't removed the fuel pump on my RT to examine the strainer but a typical "strainer" would be a screen that you could clean and seldom actually replace unless it failed. My old K-bikes had/have strainers on the fuel pump inlets that would eventually crack or rip open and need to be replaced.

If you do find a fuel filter for your bike, please share. :thumb

16142305974 strainer $30

I believe this strainer is a water separator mostly. And, I have never seen much dirt on it. The filter is part of the fuel pump assembly and comes as a complete unit with the pump.

ricoshay
08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm glad to hear there's a filter in front of the fuel injectors. Typically, a strainer will be designed to protect the pump, but the screen wouldn't be fine enough to protect the injectors.

Does this mean that a plugged filter requires replacement of the fuel pump? Or, can it be separated from the pump assembly and back-flushed manually.

cjack
08-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm glad to hear there's a filter in front of the fuel injectors. Typically, a strainer will be designed to protect the pump, but the screen wouldn't be fine enough to protect the injectors.

Does this mean that a plugged filter requires replacement of the fuel pump? Or, can it be separated from the pump assembly and back-flushed manually.

I don't know the answer to that. I haven't taken a good look at one yet. I do know that there is no filter listed as a separate part.

charleshickman
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
All the information you could ever want for the R1200GS

http://www.micapeak.com/bike/R1200GS/

Thanks. I bookmarked it.