PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT 600 Mile Check

akbeemer
08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd appreciate anyone who can provide me the checklist for the 600 mile check on the R1200RT. I live in a remote area and may not be able to have a dealer do the check. I'd like to do everything that I can within my skill level and that does not require a special tool or diagnostic gear.

WDaigle
08-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Welcome to another new RT owner. I know you're gonna like it. For your first service(600 mile) I stronly recommed that you take it to a dealer so they can perform all the required checks and adjustments. Then there won't be any questions about something not being done or done improperly if you do encounter a problem. Just a suggestion and it may eliminate your having to go through this:banghead

akbeemer
08-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree that having a dealer perform the service is the best course of action, but it just not be an option given where I live.

WDaigle
08-09-2007, 02:05 AM
I agree that having a dealer perform the service is the best course of action, but it just not be an option given where I live.

You should be able to do a lot of the service yourself like changing fluids etc. if you know how, but you also have to adjust the valves, retorque the heads, check throttle bodies. There are a lot of other systems that have to be checked that are done with their diagnostic computor with special programs(expensive equip) The electrical, engine management, and ABS systems are all computor controlled. Not impossible to do if you had the equipment and training, but definitely not feasable. I'm not sure that I understand, are you just that far away from a dealer or are you worried about going over the 600 miles? Going over by a few hundred miles won't hurt anything. You really should try to get to a dealer for this first service.

WDaigle
08-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Sorry Hudd, I had not noticed where you lived, just the Yankee emblem. Alaska, wow. Now I understand why you may have difficulties getting you bike dealer serviced. Maybe the dealer you bought it from can give you some information and suggestions on how to service your bike. Good luck and enjoy your RT, it's a great bike.:nod

GSBelo
08-09-2007, 02:40 PM
I'd appreciate anyone who can provide me the checklist for the 600 mile check on the R1200RT. I live in a remote area and may not be able to have a dealer do the check. I'd like to do everything that I can within my skill level and that does not require a special tool or diagnostic gear.

Here you go...

www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Maintenance-Schedules.pdf

Enjoy,

Robb B

hlothery
08-09-2007, 03:22 PM

When I got mine, in 2005, the dealer faxed to me, at my request, the service checklist. I believe it is the Moss-Magnusen Act which says that automotive products sold in the US can be serviced by anyone, unless the dealer offers the service for free as part of the warranty. I was, however, so impressed with the cooperativeness of the dealer, that I had them do the service. The one advantage is that they can hook up to their computer and read any codes present.