PDA

View Full Version : Parabellum Windshield Kit

YB in IN
02-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Has anyone done the Parabellum windshield conversion on a K75S? I'm looking for maybe a little higher screen for cold weather riding.

velocitas
02-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Ya know, great minds think alike. I am also looking for feedback on Parabellum Windshields. I am thinking of a 2" taller for my 93 K1100LT (electric). My original one is "delaminated". I have tried cleaning it with suggested cleaners to no avail. Does anyone have any experience with the Parabellum windshield?

chopper_guy
02-10-2004, 10:16 PM
I got a Parabelum for my 79 R100RT and am very happy with it. the bike fell over in my small garage and the parabellum hit something a glancing blow and it wasn't cracked at all.

cmcbeth
02-11-2004, 04:41 PM
I had a Parabellum on the K75RT I just traded in. It was LOVELY. I'm 6'6" and didn't use the tallest shield (I can't stand looking through the shield) and it still worked great for me. My wife said it worked for her as well. I highly recommend.:clap

jonmill
02-12-2004, 05:38 AM
I'll join the chorus. I bought a Parabellum for my K11LT when I got tired of replacing delaminated stock windshields. After about a year, I still like it. Optically clear and sturdy, no signs of cracking or peeling.

jimvonbaden
03-03-2004, 05:45 AM
I have a K75(S) and have recently put on a Gufstasson +3+4 screen, smoke color, 1.5 inches wider on each side, and 4 inches higher.

I love it. It blocks the wind much better, even with barbacks, and cuts the noise considerably. The best part of it is that it only cost $109.

It comes undrilled, and I used a round soldering iron to make the holes. It prevents chipping of the plastic, and creates nice clean mounting holes.

Gustafsson Plastics has any screen, for any bike, in nearly any color. The prices are very reasonable, and the quality is very good. And, no, I have no affiliation with them.

Bikescreen (http://www.bikescreen.com/)

Jim:clap

kbasa
03-03-2004, 06:44 AM
So Jim, is your bike orange or yellow? That orange in your avatar sure looks cool.

jimvonbaden
03-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by KBasa
So Jim, is your bike orange or yellow? That orange in your avatar sure looks cool.

Depends on the light. In bright sun it tends more towards yellow, and in shade or clouds, it tends more towards orange. It is a BMW color called Tangerine Orange, but to me, it looks more like Highway stripe yellow.

I just bought a set of 3 spoke wheels for it too. Now I have to get more paint to change them from white to body color. I am also replacing the Valve and Crank covers with black trimmed in body color, and painting the rest of the engine black.

LOL It would have been cheaper to just buy a different K75S.

kbasa
03-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Naaaaah......

I dunno about you, but the moment I get a new bike home, I start taking it apart.

When I bought my S, I installed most of the accessories while the bike was sitting on the showroom floor. That's a record for me. I was taking the bike apart before I'd even ridden it.

Looks like you're doing about the same.

Glad to see you here, man. To paraphrase another forum, welcome to the asylum.

:thumb

jimvonbaden
03-03-2004, 07:11 AM
You got that right. I was out of riding for many years, and when I got back in, I did it with a vengence. I love tweaking things to maximize performance and uniqueness!

Thanks for the welcome. I really like this forum. The BMWBMW club I belong to has a lot of non-techies that don't use the local forum much.

Jim :bliss

jimvonbaden
03-03-2004, 07:13 AM
By the way, where is Marin CA? I'll be in the San Diego area for about three weeks starting next weekend, and am interested in some weekend riding in the area while I am there.

kbasa
03-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by JimVonBaden
By the way, where is Marin CA? I'll be in the San Diego area for about three weeks starting next weekend, and am interested in some weekend riding in the area while I am there.

Marin County is north of San Francisco, just over the Golden Gate Bridge. We're a good 700 miles north of San Diego.

You might want to check www.pashnit.com for some good roads. Prepare to waste a whole lot of time there.

jimvonbaden
03-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by KBasa
Marin County is north of San Francisco, just over the Golden Gate Bridge. We're a good 700 miles north of San Diego.

You might want to check www.pashnit.com for some good roads. Prepare to waste a whole lot of time there.

Great area you live in! Been there several times in cages.

When you say waste time, do you mean it's so cool that I will spend a lot of time looking at the various parts, or waste as in it's difficult to find anything? LOL

Nice meeting you! :-)

kbasa
03-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Definitely on the cool side.

:thumb

deilenberger
03-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I have a K75(S) and have recently put on a Gufstasson +3+4 screen, smoke color, 1.5 inches wider on each side, and 4 inches higher.

I love it. It blocks the wind much better, even with barbacks, and cuts the noise considerably. The best part of it is that it only cost $109.

It comes undrilled, and I used a round soldering iron to make the holes. It prevents chipping of the plastic, and creates nice clean mounting holes.

Gustafsson Plastics has any screen, for any bike, in nearly any color. The prices are very reasonable, and the quality is very good. And, no, I have no affiliation with them.

Bikescreen (http://www.bikescreen.com/)

Jim:clap

Jim - like the looks of the Gusstoffson shield..

How well does it fit around the base? (and turnsignal housings?)

Might it be possible to get a good closeup photo?

I'm really disappointed in the ones BMW makes since the plastic tends to craze around the mounting screws.. plus the Guss' one doesn't have the extra lip and is available in different lengths (and the price is cheaper than BMW's)

TIA!

jimvonbaden
03-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by deilenberger
Jim - like the looks of the Gusstoffson shield..

How well does it fit around the base? (and turnsignal housings?)

Might it be possible to get a good closeup photo?

I'm really disappointed in the ones BMW makes since the plastic tends to craze around the mounting screws.. plus the Guss' one doesn't have the extra lip and is available in different lengths (and the price is cheaper than BMW's)

TIA!

Hi Don,

Here is what I have at the moment for a picture. I put it on in a bit of a hurry in the middle of my trip so I don't have the new black gaskets behind the windscreen that covers the mounting bolts and the area where the screen makes contact.

So far I have about 700 miles on it, and it has no stress cracks or any other problems. If I had to do it again, I would go with a little higher screen. Maybe a 6" instead of a 4". I forgot to figure in the change in my height with the barbacks on the bike. The width, at 1.5" per side extra is just fine.

It fits pretty good, but you drill your own mounting holes, so you have to measure and "drill" carefully. I used a round soldering iron to make the holes. I think it will help prevent stress cracks. It fits beside and above the turn signals, and has about a 1/8" gap at the top above the turn signals when you have the holes drilled correctly. It also comes with a piece of practice plastic to use for practicing hole drilling.

To me, it looks pretty close to a factory installation. I like the smoke color I got and am glad I didn't go with the neon yellow! LOL

I'll take a better picture when the dust settles here in El Paso. Blowing dust and high winds suck! :cry

Jim

deilenberger
03-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Hi Don,

Here is what I have at the moment for a picture. I put it on in a bit of a hurry in the middle of my trip so I don't have the new black gaskets behind the windscreen that covers the mounting bolts and the area where the screen makes contact.

So far I have about 700 miles on it, and it has no stress cracks or any other problems. If I had to do it again, I would go with a little higher screen. Maybe a 6" instead of a 4". I forgot to figure in the change in my height with the barbacks on the bike. The width, at 1.5" per side extra is just fine.

It fits pretty good, but you drill your own mounting holes, so you have to measure and "drill" carefully. I used a round soldering iron to make the holes. I think it will help prevent stress cracks. It fits beside and above the turn signals, and has about a 1/8" gap at the top above the turn signals when you have the holes drilled correctly. It also comes with a piece of practice plastic to use for practicing hole drilling.

To me, it looks pretty close to a factory installation. I like the smoke color I got and am glad I didn't go with the neon yellow! LOL

I'll take a better picture when the dust settles here in El Paso. Blowing dust and high winds suck! :cry

Jim

Jim - thanks! It's hard to tell from the photo - is there a bit of a turn at the top like the stock one has?

I'd be most interested in the area around the turnsignals.. other aftermarket ones I've seen are pretty kludgy in that area. If I get one - I'll likely go with more or less the stock size. I don't mind the stock size, but the cracks around the screwholes just bugs me :)

Thanks again!

jimvonbaden
03-05-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by deilenberger
Jim - thanks! It's hard to tell from the photo - is there a bit of a turn at the top like the stock one has?

I'd be most interested in the area around the turnsignals.. other aftermarket ones I've seen are pretty kludgy in that area. If I get one - I'll likely go with more or less the stock size. I don't mind the stock size, but the cracks around the screwholes just bugs me :)

Thanks again!

Don,

There is no turned up lip. It's basically flat right up the center of the screen. The fit around the turn signals will likely be like stock if you aren't going with the wider screen.

Also, they make a screen of stock height with a special turned up lip similar in function to the Laminar Lip, though I am not sure what it looks like.

I'm not absolutely certain if the stock replacement screen will have a lip or not.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific on some of your questions, but I would be curious what you find out if you contact them.

Jim