PDA

View Full Version : feeling manic depressive about my GS

pgods
08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Okay .. first off, I love my 06 GS. With a few farkles, and Wilber shocks to come, I think I have her just where I want her. And because I love her so much, I often find myself reading forums about the 1200 GS - almost every night! It's a great opportunity to be part of a community that shares my enthusism, and also learn about the nuances of this elegant beast.
That said, there's alway the risk of reading TOO much. Lately, I find myself experiencing some anxiety. Why? Because much of these forums (Adrider.com, as an example) have many threads about the problems owners are having. Whether the rotors are warping, the the final drive spills it's guts, or something else that prematurely expires - it all seems to be under 30K miles or so! I've owned 2 K75s in the past 12 years (with serious miles on the odometer) and never, ever, did I have an issue with reliablitiy. Just basic maintenance and lube the splines every 10K miles.

Is this just a case of a few lemons? Is BMW trimming costs at the expense of quality?

Could somebody tell me to shut up and ride...

hass
08-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Okay .. first off, I love my 06 GS. With a few farkles, and Wilber shocks to come, I think I have her just where I want her. And because I love her so much, I often find myself reading forums about the 1200 GS - almost every night! It's a great opportunity to be part of a community that shares my enthusism, and also learn about the nuances of this elegant beast.
That said, there's alway the risk of reading TOO much. Lately, I find myself experiencing some anxiety. Why? Because much of these forums (Adrider.com, as an example) have many threads about the problems owners are having. Whether the rotors are warping, the the final drive spills it's guts, or something else that prematurely expires - it all seems to be under 30K miles or so! I've owned 2 K75s in the past 12 years (with serious miles on the odometer) and never, ever, did I have an issue with reliablitiy. Just basic maintenance and lube the splines every 10K miles.

Is this just a case of a few lemons? Is BMW trimming costs at the expense of quality?

Could somebody tell me to shut up and ride...Er... "Shut up and ride!" :violin

I was just out riding - took a detour on my way home (sort of the opposite direction :brad ) ... it was great!

Oh and my tank protector kit came :groovy

pgods
08-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Er... "Shut up and ride!" :violin

I was just out riding - took a detour on my way home (sort of the opposite direction :brad ) ... it was great!

Oh and my tank protector kit came :groovy

Excellent choice of Icon. Who knew the Swedes play the fiddle?

redclfco
08-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Could somebody tell me to shut up and ride...

In June, I convinced myself that my 05 GS clutch was on the way out...

In July I puilled up and down seven passes in Colorado no problem...I do the same damn thing, obsess- hypochondriacs!

We have horses, and over the years have bought several books about "Diseases of the Horse" If you have horses, and read those things, you will not sleep well, EVERYTHING is amatter with the ponies! HA

pgods
08-10-2007, 10:54 PM
In June, I convinced myself that my 05 GS clutch was on the way out...

In July I puilled up and down seven passes in Colorado no problem...I do the same damn thing, obsess- hypochondriacs!

We have horses, and over the years have bought several books about "Diseases of the Horse" If you have horses, and read those things, you will not sleep well, EVERYTHING is amatter with the ponies! HA

Yeah...I'm just gonna go and ride. The only concern is that I'm not a tech/mech guy, so if I'm in the middle of nowhere - I'm screwed. Oh well, ride on!

PGlaves
08-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah...I'm just gonna go and ride. The only concern is that I'm not a tech/mech guy, so if I'm in the middle of nowhere - I'm screwed. Oh well, ride on!

Cell phone, towing service, and credit card.

That is the extent of mechanical knowlege Voni has, and she has ridden solo something over 500,000 miles in 49 states and all the Canadian provinces - often on a bike with well over 100K miles, and 200k miles and 300k miles.

If she didn't go because she worried she'd just have stayed home.

pgods
08-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Cell phone, towing service, and credit card.

That is the extent of mechanical knowlege Voni has, and she has ridden solo something over 500,000 miles in 49 states and all the Canadian provinces - often on a bike with well over 100K miles, and 200k miles and 300k miles.

If she didn't go because she worried she'd just have stayed home.

and I'm definitely not staying home. I do, however, have the bike well maintained by the folks at Heid's Hodaka/ BMW... Paul and Bill are the best!