PDA

View Full Version : R1200R Windshields

swall
07-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Will be picking up my R1200R next week and was wondering what windshields you other owners have put on. I am getting the "sport windshield", but suspect it will be lacking even though I am comfortable with an R90S, an R100RS or even a Rifle Superbike fairing.

ALLANCOOK
07-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Will be picking up my R1200R next week and was wondering what windshields you other owners have put on. I am getting the "sport windshield", but suspect it will be lacking even though I am comfortable with an R90S, an R100RS or even a Rifle Superbike fairing.

I've found my stock sport shield reasonably comfortable up to about 85. You may find you don't need any more shield than that.

ghostrider
08-01-2007, 12:29 AM
I thought the same; but after putting some miles on I concur with Allan. The "Sport Shield" does a great job for me. Clean air up to my shoulders (I'm 5'10") with minimum buffeting around the helmet. I would give it a try....

Bryan

hass
08-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Sport shield on my R12R - works plenty for me. Clean air no buffeting at normal speeds. I am 5ft9ins.

deilenberger
08-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Since it comes with the Sport shield - give it a try.

It didn't work for me - mostly because of the wind pressure on my body. Had to hold on too hard on higher slab speeds. It was very nice having my helmet in clear air (super quiet actually..)

Next I tried the BMW "Touring" shield. Pricely devil. Moved the air up a bit on my chest - but still left considerable air on my shoulders. Added some noise to my helmet.

Next try was the Cee-Bailey 16" shield (fits on the Touring shield mount from BMW) - not bad. A bit of turbulence. Not bothered by cross winds or tractor-trailers. Comfortable for all day slab rides.

Tried the Cee-Bailey 20" - it was nice and quiet behind it - but it was really too tall for me. I wasn't quite looking through it - but very close.

Right now - using the Cee-Bailey 18" - seems about the right height for me. Quiet behind it, can leave my face shield cracked and not get beaten up by turbulence. Haven't done an all day slab ride with it - but I suspect it will be fine for that use. Very nice for backroads - being able to leave my faceshield up 1/2" gives me lots of ventilation, and the shield stops the bugs effectively - none on my faceshield.

I do have the Z-Technic one coming for a trial. I have heard it's the same height as the 18" Cee-Bailey (about 18.5" above the top of the headlight)

All of the results are also predicated on your butt to top of your head distance. I'm about 5'7" with a 27" inseam (short fook..) but my torso (butt up) is probably about the same as many people taller than me. Most of my short is in my legs (or not in my legs.. ;) )

As others suggested - try the sport shield. I've kept all of mine so far except the 20" (traded it for the 18") - eventually I'll be cleaning house on them so if you want to try something else cheaper than list price.. watch the Fleamarket.

TONY2733
08-16-2007, 05:19 AM
:bolt We picked up my wifes new R1200R two weeks ago, with the sport shield and after a week she ordered a Z tech. It is like night and day. Much improved, great quality, $175.00. She is 5'4" and even the sport shield was not very good. We are not looking for zero wind but the basic protection from wind noise and chest preasure. The sport shield is 90 % useless in our opinion. Take it off and take a test ride and you won't notice much difference.

If we had to do it again we would have saved the 250.00 cost of the sport shield and bought it without a shield and added the Z Tech.

FredRydr
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Tony,

See my PM.

Fred

deilenberger
08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Tony,

See my PM.

FredBy Dog Fred.. you're cornering the market on spare shields? :p

FredRydr
08-17-2007, 01:28 AM
By Dog Fred.. you're cornering the market on spare shields? :pYeah. I figure if I put the new one on the bike and toss the broken one, I still need a good one for the shelf. Actually, today I noticed a part number on the plastic part, and maybe that is available separately even if not on the fiche.

It's a mental thing. The worst was my expanding R/GS mirror collection for my R1150R. Still, when I traded the Roadster for the Roadster, I had no problem finding homes for every mirror!

Fred
'07 R1200R black
'02 R1150R black (traded)
'99 R1100R-SE black (R.I.P.)
Suzukis before those, of various colors