PDA

View Full Version : Considering R1200GS purchase- quick questions

The_Veg
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking buying a GS soon, and I was wondering:

1) I've heard that they really chew through tires. What's the collective experience with this, and how do the street-only treads that have come out in GS sizes compare?

2) I've heard that MPG is pretty good- what's the consensus here?

3) The last one I test-rode (at the big rally last week) seemed to have really soft/spongy suspension. I know that that helps off-road, but since most GS's (including my potential future one) mostly live on-road, so does the sponginess bother anybody?

4) Should I expect whizzy or non-whizzy brakes on a 2007?

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, so stay tuned.

Gonna go visit my local dealer today too and see if that one GS is still languishing on the floor.

darrylri
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Based on my experiences with my 07 R1200ST, you should get non whizzy brakes, and yes, the 1200 gets much better gas mileage. My 1100RS and 1150RS have always gotten gas mileage in the mid to high 30s on CA gas (and about 10-15% highter out of state). The 1200 is getting a minimum of 38 and, without babying it, as much as 48!

deilenberger
07-19-2007, 01:43 PM

1) I've heard that they really chew through tires. What's the collective experience with this, and how do the street-only treads that have come out in GS sizes compare?

Depends on how you ride. Lots of people switch to a more street oriented tire - which can improve tire life... can't speak firsthand since I ride a Roadster that came with street tires (Continental Road Attacks)

Mid 40's to low 50's should be achieveable if you can keep from having too much fun with the right grip.

3) The last one I test-rode (at the big rally last week) seemed to have really soft/spongy suspension. I know that that helps off-road, but since most GS's (including my potential future one) mostly live on-road, so does the sponginess bother anybody?

Dunno - again, don't own one. People do install aftermarket suspension on them, and some people even lower them a bit, lessening the long travel of the suspension.

No whizzy brakes for 2007 models. (Thank Dog..)

Gonna go visit my local dealer today too and see if that one GS is still languishing on the floor.
You might also - depending on your wants/needs - see if they have an R1200R Roadster gathering dust (unlikely to be gathering dust - they move out pretty quickly) and take one for a ride.

The Roadster will do 99% of what the GS will, without the Hummer appearance. The 1% it won't do is extreme off-road stuff, but bet it could do that with the right tires on it and the right rider (actually there are some photos on the web by a rider who did the extreme off-road with his bone stock Roadster - and not only survived - he enjoyed the heck out of it... )

It's lighter, lower and considerably more powerful than the GS - plus cheaper. Farkles are rapidly coming available for it allowing you to change it into whatever your heart desires. It might not have the Humvee image of the GS - but to me - that's an advantage.

Just a FWIW.. it's obvious I'm biased.. :)

klrobins
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
1) My GS has 5600km on it and the tires look great. I had a GSA with the exact same tires as a loaner with 6000km on them and they were way more worn out than mine... so it must depend on how/where you ride.

2) I get about 425km per tank... Thats seems fine to me

3) Hubby has the stock suspension on his GS, I have the Ohlins (had to lower mine a bit)... His is much softer than mine. I find the Ohlins a bit too stiff and think I'd prefer the stock shocks if I was tall enough! He hasnt complained about his shocks being too soft in corners or anything, but did note that my bike seemed stiff going over normal bumps on the road.

4) My brakes dont make noise, but I dont have ABS. I heard that the ABS on the 2007 is better than its predecessors and much quieter (according to my local dealer)

I traded in a VFR to get my GS and I love it!!! In two months I put on more km than I had in any full year on my VFR, and we're headed to the east coast tomorrow to put way more KM's on. I dont think you can go wrong with the GS!!! :thumb

K

kbasa
07-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Riding like a squid, I get about 4 to 5K on rears and about 8 or so on fronts. I've been running Tourances, though I think Anakees work better when you're out on the edge of the tire.

I get about 42, pretty regularly, on crummy CA gas and demonstrating said squidly tendencies.

I run the preload higher than delivered on the rear and a click softer on the front. It's pretty nicely balanced and doesn't wallow in corner.

No whizzy brakes on 07.

I wasn't a GS guy until I bought my 05. Now that I've got it, I continue to be impressed by it. It'll do everything and will carry amazing amounts of stuff without blinking.

HODAG
07-19-2007, 02:47 PM
just do it.....
wish I would have years ago

FredRydr
07-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Veg,

I've ridden the R1200GS for 50 miles or so, but my primary experience is with 2,000 miles on my new 2007 R1200R. The motor/tranny/suspension/wheel-tire/weight/ergomomic improvements over the R1150 are phenomenal and were worth the upgrade. I hate to say this, but of the three BMWs I've owned (R1100R, R1150R, and R1200R), the hexhead is the first one that didn't handle the way I expect a BMW to handle, and I am glad of it. The redesigned brakes are icing on the cake.

Go for the GS if you need long suspension travel, though it doesn't sound like you do. But if you must have that GS je na se qua, go for the GS anyway.

Fred (more of a Roadster guy)
'07 R

superstamper
07-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I traded my 96 1100 GS and 98 1100 RT for a new 1200 GS about 600 miles ago. All I can say is I waited too long. This thing is the greatest. I get about 40 MPG commuting, I haven't done any long rides yet. At first I thought the suspension might be too soft but I've never bottomed and I don't feel any loosness when cornering. Admittedly I'm not the Joe racer I was when I was younger. I'm 250 lbs and I have the rear preload near the softest setting, I crank it up one line when my wife rides with me. The only complaint I have about the bike is that it is really tall getting on and off of. Once I'm in the seat I can touch just fine but it can be ackward getting on and off. As far as the brakes, I don't know what you're really asking here, but this thing stops. The difference between my older bikes and this bike is unbelievable. I too thought about an R. I'm sure it would have been a very good choice as well but I love the styling of the GS and the accesories you can buy for it.

azduc
07-19-2007, 06:47 PM
I have 6500 miles on my 07 gs, just completed a 3500 mile trip and averaged 50mpg according to the computer at an average speed of 57mph. The rear tire is about 1/2 shot. The suspension is fine for me. I don't baby it, I ride it but I am not much of a squid. It has used nearly a quart of added oil but hasn't used much since the last oil change at 5200 miles. This is a great bike, it will make you smile all the while. Igot a pretty good deal by asking what they had on the floor that they needed to move out, normally it has to do with colors, the red and yellows go first so I got a good buy on a silver/black with abs, computer, wire wheels--the silver/black has been my screen saver since '05 so it worked just perfect for me. Just do it, you won't regret it!

The_Veg
07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming.

I like the idea of the R, but having sat on one or two, it has the same problem of my airhead- the seat and pegs are just WAY too close together. In fact, the first aftermarket thingee for my GS will be a peg-lowering kit. It's not the dual-sport thing that attracts me so much as the ergonomics. As far as I can tell from two 20 mile test rides and countless sittings-on, the bike just fits me.

Talked to the salesman today and drooled over a nice black one in the showroom. Came home and sent in the final payment on my car, and got an insurance quote. This could happen soon. :D

ZARINELLI
07-20-2007, 02:30 AM

I have Metzler Tourances on my new one (~8000 miles since late March), and the back tire looks like it won't make it past the 12,000 mile service. Had Michelin Anakees on my 2005 1200GS, and I got about 10% less mileage out of them (or maybe it was my right wrist?) So, no, I wouldn't say the GS 'chews' through tires - but I am sure that you can make it eat them, with the right wrist movement :p

Riding pretty consistently in the 65-70 mile range (mostly county roads), with occasional "take offs," I get 48-49mpg; riding conservatively, staying in the 55-60 mile range, I can get it up to lower to mid 50's mpg (this assumes reasonable winds - in strong headwind (component) conditions, your gas mileage will go down; also have the slightly larger GIVI screen, but run Amsoil in the engine, FD, and transmission)

Mine isn't spongy - I would suspect the shocks were set 'soft.' I have my preload set to 2/3rd hardest and the shocks to hard dampening; while Wilburs or Ohlins are a definite improvement over OEM (I plan on putting Ohlins on when the OEMs are done for), BMW put reasonably well-performing shocks on these (if adjusted correctly), IMO.

Not quite sure what 'whizzy' breaks means, but I'm quite happy with the brakes on my 2007 (with ABS) - I didn't care much for the power-assisted ones on my 2005...

They sure are fun bikes - and once the bug bit, I'm afraid you won't be able to shake it :bottle

charleshickman
07-21-2007, 02:08 PM

1) I got 7,500 miles out of my stock Annakees. Virtually all road miles. The front was badly cupped and the back was just down to the wear bar. I put 3,000 on a set of TKC-80s and the rear was probably 75% gone and the front in good shape. My current Tourances have about 3,500, mostly interstate from Bellingham, WA to Huntsville, AL, and the rear is just starting to show some wear.

2) I routinely get 45 mpg. I got 50 from a tank on a trip from Pigeon Forge, TN to Huntsville, AL, all at 55 to 60 mph on back roads. Coming accross the western states I probably got 40 or so on the interstate at probably 80 mph.

3) The only problem I've ever had with bikes with long travel suspensions is ride height. I've got really short legs. I put 1" shorter Wilbers on my gs, which reduces the ride height and the suspension travel. But on rough roads you'll be a real fan of the long travel suspension. On the Alaska higway from the Alaska/Canadian border to Haines Junction last month there were frost heaves that put any speed bump I've ever seen to shame. Probably close to 100 miles of them. By standing on the pegs, I was able to take them at near the legal speed limit without bottoming out.

4) If y whizzy you mean servo power assisted, I think that those went away with the '06s. I've had two bikes with them, an '02 r1150r and my current '06 r1200gs. No significant problems, although I have had to ride twice with the residual (read crappy) brakes. The last time because my handguards were positioned such that they held the brake lever slightly closed and the system would not initiate. I saved about $2K last October by buying an '06 demo instead of a new '07. I'd probably do it again.

knary
07-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming.

I like the idea of the R, but having sat on one or two, it has the same problem of my airhead- the seat and pegs are just WAY too close together. In fact, the first aftermarket thingee for my GS will be a peg-lowering kit. It's not the dual-sport thing that attracts me so much as the ergonomics. As far as I can tell from two 20 mile test rides and countless sittings-on, the bike just fits me.

Talked to the salesman today and drooled over a nice black one in the showroom. Came home and sent in the final payment on my car, and got an insurance quote. This could happen soon. :D

:wave

As a big kid, you're perfect for a GS. :nod

The tire question depends so much on how you ride and, not mentioned, where you ride (how the road is paved, temp, etc). Tourances tend to do better than street only tires and around 10k out of a set isn't unusual. This probably doesn't seem like much to you since you're used to Bias-ply tires, but this is really quite good.

As to the suspension, you're a big kid. It may not have been appropriately set up for someone your size.

Which color? :D

redclfco
07-21-2007, 11:21 PM
1) My GS has 5600km on it and the tires look great. I had a GSA with the exact same tires as a loaner with 6000km on them and they were way more worn out than mine... so it must depend on how/where you ride.

2) I get about 425km per tank... Thats seems fine to me

3) Hubby has the stock suspension on his GS, I have the Ohlins (had to lower mine a bit)... His is much softer than mine. I find the Ohlins a bit too stiff and think I'd prefer the stock shocks if I was tall enough! He hasnt complained about his shocks being too soft in corners or anything, but did note that my bike seemed stiff going over normal bumps on the road.

4) My brakes dont make noise, but I dont have ABS. I heard that the ABS on the 2007 is better than its predecessors and much quieter (according to my local dealer)

I traded in a VFR to get my GS and I love it!!! In two months I put on more km than I had in any full year on my VFR, and we're headed to the east coast tomorrow to put way more KM's on. I dont think you can go wrong with the GS!!! :thumb

K

Kristi, (or anybody who knows what they get) is your 425 kilometer range using ethanol gas or straight petrol? With Ethanol I get about 40 MPH driving "semi bad" 70-80 mph so it makes me wonder what I cold get on straight gas long distance.

The_Veg
07-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Scott, 10K from a set of tires would actually be a big improvement over what I get with The BatBike.
-----------
Did some more shopping over the weekend, gonna talk to the money-people in the next coupla days. I'm getting psyched!

burnszilla
07-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Well, If it's going to be the BatBike II it's gonna have to be black. You may not have a choice of what tire comes with the bike. Tourances should give you the longest run. Just looking at the GS gives me lusty goose bumps.
No regrets whatsoever...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/355059545_0a7981ca9a.jpg

knary
07-23-2007, 04:26 AM
Well, If it's going to be the BatBike II it's gonna have to be black. You may not have a choice of what tire comes with the bike. Tourances should give you the longest run. Just looking at the GS gives me lusty goose bumps.
No regrets whatsoever...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/355059545_0a7981ca9a.jpg

Everyone asked at the rally, "How's Burnszilla's ankle?" How is it?

tjc9680
07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Make the purchase you'll love the bike. I have 2006 GS .I'm getting about 48 mpg mostly back road driving 50 to 60 mph. It came with theTourance Tires. I have about 4000 miles with no sign of wear. I ride solo and check the air pressure often. I'm 230 lbs and the ride set from the dealer has been fine. I was a long time Harley Rider and would never think of buying anything but a BMW.:usa

Retired CPD Motorcyle Officer
MSF Instructor

Emoto
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Frankly, the tires I've had on my GS are outlasting pure street tires that I had on other bikes. I am on my second set of Tourances and like them a lot. Right now, the front has 12,630 miles, and the rear has 14,481 miles, and they look great. Really. Probably good for several thousand more miles. I am a fairly big guy, but am smooth with the throttle, so that may help.

Mid-40s most of the time for me, 40 if I ride like a total hooligan.

My stock suspension was pretty firm. It did soften up over time, and I put Wilbers on front and rear.

"Whizzy" was what people called the power-assisted ABS brakes on the '05 and '06. The ABS was re-designed for the '07s, and the whizzy-sounding power assist as dropped too.

Give her a nice home! :thumb

The_Veg
07-25-2007, 12:22 AM
No regrets whatsoever...
There's only one BatBike so this one will be it's own thing- although when I went by the shop on Friday the one they had on the floor was in fact black. The languished bike was gone and this one was in its place. The other local dealer had four with SOLD signs, one without, and one demo-bike with 547 miles and a new set of tires (hmmmmmm.....). I should be in shape to deal with the bank any day now, and I deserve a new bike after the crap with which I'm putting up at work this week with our annual state inspection (I work in healthcare- need I say more?).

I'm pretty much perpetually drooling in anticipation.

redclfco
07-25-2007, 02:04 AM
There's only one BatBike so this one will be it's own thing- although when I went by the shop on Friday the one they had on the floor was in fact black. The languished bike was gone and this one was in its place. The other local dealer had four with SOLD signs, one without, and one demo-bike with 547 miles and a new set of tires (hmmmmmm.....). I should be in shape to deal with the bank any day now, and I deserve a new bike after the crap with which I'm putting up at work this week with our annual state inspection (I work in healthcare- need I say more?).

I'm pretty much perpetually drooling in anticipation.

Ouch! State Survey! Hopefully no findings! You do deserve a new bike! GS, correct? I love my 05, wizzy brakes and all!

Red