PDA

View Full Version : Considering upgrading to a R1200RT

bob1100rtc
07-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I currently have a 2000 R1100RT. Great bike but the seat is horrible. My wife hates it so much she wants me to get rid of it and get a R1200RT or K1200GT. I would like to get some input from people who made the switch to either bike. What do you like and dislike? And is the seat any better. I'd hate to spend 20k and still have to drop $800 on a seat.
Thanks,
Bob

Antaeas
07-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I have had my 2005 R1200RT since 1/1/06; it just turned 10,000 miles, which seems to be the end of break-in. I think the stock seat is hard, in the same Teutonic tradition as BMW cars. From an engineering standpoint, it is easier to add soft parts to a hard seat than vice-versa.

I have found my stock seat gets uncomfortable after 100 miles, even when I shift position, stand up, etc. I get sciatica and also don't like hot or wet seats, so I have modified my R1200RT seat to suit my preferences and size (210 lbs., 32" inseam). I now use an Air-Hawk pad and Alaska Leather sheepskin cover. The two parts cost me about $250. They are tied together, and snap off and on with two Fastex snaps. I can stow my pad on my bike or carry it into warmer or cooler places. I find the Air-Hawk needs to be re-inflated daily, and my makeshift pad shifts until I get it securely under my rump, but otherwise it gives me a comfortable ride for hours.

I might upgrade my seat eventually, but agree that it's a big gamble to buy an after-market replacement seat without firsthand experience. I've tried a Russell seat on a friend's bike, and am interested in gel pads, which might avoid heat problems that I find with foam, but that may just be my preference. I never use my seat heater, even when riding in near-freezing temperatures; maybe my problems with hot seats aren't typical.

Short answer: if you and your passenger don't like the R1100RT seat, you may not like the seat on the R1200RT. I have had a short ride on a K1200LT, and suggest that you look at that bike instead.

07-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Bob

I have an R1100RT, and the stock seat caused me pain. But what works for me (as it did on my previous 1150RT) is the BMW "comfort seat", which I believe was stock from late 2002 through 2004. I paid $75. And I also jacked the front mount up a half inch to stop the foward slide. But that won't do anything for your better half. Just throwing the information out there.

I'm lucky. I've always liked the stock seat on my R75/6. I also like the stock seat on my 1200GS (if not as well as the RT), and the cheap "comfort seat" upgrade suits me on the RT.

sjwwi2004r1150rta
07-16-2007, 03:12 AM
I ride a 2004 R1150RTA with the Comfort Seat.

On long rides, I use a Gel Pad (ordered it from J.C. Whitney) and an Airhawk on top of that.

I use the Gel Pad on daily commutes and it makes quite a difference, and when my wife and I are 2-Up she has the matching gel pad for the passenger.

podsobinski
07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Do not hesitate, just do it. R1200RT's rule. . .110 hp, light weight, great gas mileage and handling what more could you want. More power and weight with not quite the gas mileage in the GT. . . a lot more weight and not as fun all around with the LT. My wife as done a 525 mile day and a 630 mile day already this year with praise from are "old" R1150GS. She loves the heated seat with dual control, extra power outlet for heated cloths. I have all the options and the only recommendation is don't waste the money on the radio/CD. The money you save you could get an Autocom or similar and a satellite radio. . .perfect combo.:blah

Gpodzo

If you wait all that happens is that you get older!:bottle

njnear
07-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Stock seat is too narrow and too soft. You'll be wanting a new one immediately. In short, it's horrible.

Vibration is worse than I would like, especially in the handlebars. Bought Salamander bar end weights. Helped, but did not cure.

Windshield is too short (noisy even at the top). Bought a Cee Bailey 2" overstock. Should have bought 1" overstock. I'm 6' w/ 32" inseam.

The brakes are the best I've ever had!

planepaul1949
07-19-2007, 04:23 AM
The reason to get an R1200RT is that it is so competent at everything you want a (sporty) touring motorcycle to do. It is the most confidence-inspiring M/C I've owned in 42 years of riding. This bike floats my boat. That said, the seat sucks. It was Russell for me.
The engine smooths out with miles, and gains low end as well. Low gear is a little tall, so just be easy on the clutch.
Paul in CA
'05 R1200RT

behemw
07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
I currently have a 2000 R1100RT. Great bike but the seat is horrible. My wife hates it so much she wants me to get rid of it and get a R1200RT or K1200GT. I would like to get some input from people who made the switch to either bike. What do you like and dislike? And is the seat any better. I'd hate to spend 20k and still have to drop $800 on a seat.
Thanks,
Bob

I finally bought a brand new '07 R 1200 RT. I always like the Boxer type of motorcycle . For the last 30 years I was driving used one such '75 R 90 S and later a '80 R 100S. . But this time I was ready for a "touring " bike (may be because my aged?). but to my great surprise it can be handle as a sport bike as well and from the ESA (electronic suspension adjustment) button on the handlebar you have the selection of Normal - Comfort - Sport suspension plus the choice of single driver or with passenger or passenger + luggages . It also came with, ASC (auto stability control), TPC (tyre pressure control), cruise-control, OBC (on board computer), heated grip, heated seat and alarm system.
For the comfort of the seat I can't comment yet but the time will tell. So far I enjoyed the motorcycle so much that I am commuting everyday to work ( +/- 100km) in any weather condition, it is well balanced, powerfull (for me it is more than enough) and light.

Cheers
Jacques

njnear
07-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. I slammed a few things on the bike, especially the seat and vibration, but you will enjoy it. I know I have. They're great machines.

Keep the sticky side down!

dsenn
07-19-2007, 10:17 PM
have a 2005 R12RT with 60000 miles, will be 2 years old in OCT. still have stock seat and works fine for me. Great handling and mileage, better than my 2000 RTP. But sixth gear dropped out tuesday at 60892 miles.

HIWAYMIKE
07-20-2007, 02:23 AM
I traded my '96 RT with a Corbin seat for an '07 RT with a hard seat. Everything but the seat trade was WELL WORTH IT! I am taking a long ride in a couple of weeks so a new seat will have to wait. I think I will get a gel pad or sheepskin or both for the trip.

BOTTOM LINE - I would rather ride the 07 RT and get monkey butt than ride the 96 RT on the Corbin.
:bikes

gulfcoastbeemer
07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Seats, and seat comfort, are as individual as, well, your own butt.

I would just go for it. The R1200RT is such a superb motorcycle -- I wouldn't care if it didn't come with a seat. The stock seat is either terrible or wonderful, depending on who you ask and how their butt feels about the matter.

I have the stock seat and I'm 6'2", 200lbs. It's fine for me -- not the greatest, but far from the worst. I think firm would be a fair assessment of the stock seat.

hlothery
07-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I have a 2005 RT, and think this bike really rocks. It is, by far, the finest road motorcycle I have ever ridden. That said, however, I had to purchase an aftermarket (Rick Mayer) saddle to really enjoy the comforts of long-distance traveling on the bike. I am approaching 23,000 miles at this point, and love the bike more now than when I originally purchased. Go for it, man.

bob1100rtc
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I took the plunge yesterday and bought a R1200RT. Have about 80 miles on it. What an incredable machine! The seat seems ok so far but the other aspects far out weight any issue that may arise from the seat on a long trip. One thing I noticed was a whistle that starts above 50 mph coming from the windshield area. Is this normal? You guys were definately right. IT IS WORTH IT! Now,the screen name thing....LOL

Motorwerk
08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Congrats! :dance

Now the farkling begins. :rocker

I haven't noticed any noise like that but then I wear earplugs.
Does it happen if you lower or raise the windshield?

There is a good deal of road noise coming up from the steering head area, partly from the Pilot Road tires but nothing of concern.

gulfcoastbeemer
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
...One thing I noticed was a whistle that starts above 50 mph coming from the windshield area. Is this normal?

I replaced the stock windshield with a ZTechnik VStream. If it's all the way down, it does have a slight whistle -- not sure about the stock windshield. The slight whistle goes away if I raise the windshield just a little.

mtfrench
08-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Do you have Michelin Pilot Roads on your bike? I have 24K on my 05 R12RT and did not have any unusual noise from the front end until I put on the Pilot Roads after Metzlers and Dunlaps. I love the handling and wear of the tires, but they tend to sing a little right around 50 MPH.

Regarding seat choices, I rode several 900+ mile days last month on a Corbin seat with Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. Very comfy!

hlothery
08-02-2007, 06:41 PM
My Pilot Roads definitely sing...high-pitched roar comes up from under the fairing, especially about 50MPH, worse with leaning into a corner. The tires, other than that, are fantastic with good traction wet or dry and long mileage. I read in Rider Mag this month about the Pilot Road 2, which is a dual compound tire designed for better wet traction and long life. Might try those next time to see if they also "sing".

bob1100rtc
08-03-2007, 12:55 AM
My bike has metzlers. I notice the whistle at all windshield positions. I will start to diagnose the problen after I install some oil cooler fans. (I have to go to school next week and there is a lot of stop and go traffic) I can deal with the noise for the time being. I'm just so blown away by by how awesome this bike is. My old RT wasn't in the same league. It's definately one of those you have to ride it to know what your missing things. More to come when I figure out the noise.

greenwald
08-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Have nearly 18,000 miles on my '05 R1200RT - fantastic ride. Best bike I've ever owned (have been riding since 1982).

However, the stock seats suck!

I got Sargent saddles and could not be happier. 740 miles in one day the most so far, but I see an Iron Butt Saddle Burner (1,000 in 24 Hrs.) in my near future.

Don't like Corbin because of their weight and hardness, but hey - many choices to consider (Rick Mayer and Russell make excellent seats, as well as Sargent).

Good luck, and enjoy the RT.

Ride ATGATT & Alert!

professor
08-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Doggone it. You guys are costing me money!! I've been wanting an R1200RT - i test rode one and for the past couple of months have been trying to talk myself out of it - too much money, irresponsible, other bikes are just as good for less money, etc. etc.

But now listening to everyone, I know I've been lying to myself. I loved the test ride - except there was a bit more vibration than I expected in a BMW - but was amazed at everything else. I accellerated up the freeway entrance ramp and hit what i thought was about 60. I glanced at the speedometer and was doing 90!

And I agree about the braking - it is the best I have ever experienced. OK, I now know what my next bike will be.

Outdoorsman
08-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I rode my 2005 RT from Eastern Tennessee to the rally in Wisconsin. My RT was smooth and comfortable all the way. I have a Rick Mayer saddle and raised handle bars. I stayed overnight on the way up, but when I left the rally I rode the entire 780 miles back to Tennessee in 15 hours with no problem. I'm 64 years old so that says a lot for the RT.

I chatted with two young guys traveling cross country on Harleys at a rest area and they were amazed that I had already covered 617 miles. They said they were pooped by 300 miles from the vibration and discomfort. They spent a lot of time talking to me about my RT. The beauty is thats it's just as much fun riding around town on errands as it is on a long haul trip.

Madhatter
08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
...However, the stock seats suck!

I got Sargent saddles and could not be happier. 740 miles in one day the most so far, but I see an Iron Butt Saddle Burner (1,000 in 24 Hrs.) in my near future.

Don't like Corbin because of their weight and hardness, but hey - many choices to consider (Rick Mayer and Russell make excellent seats, as well as Sargent).

I didn't think the stock seat deserved the disapprobation above, but I did just get a Corbin. I wanted a little extra seat height and firmer ride. Stock seat was too 'squishy.' Agree with criticism of Corbin in re weight as noted above: sucker is heavy. However, I love my new Corbin. Mine's not yet broken in fully--it is quite firm--but already a big difference in comfort. Frankly, I think firmer is better. BWTFDIK?

My RT is new also, but I already think this bike is fantastic. It doesn't seem like a touring bike as much as a sport bike. Love that boxer engine. Remus exhaust next (to compensate for the extra weight of the Corbin).
:thumb