PDA

View Full Version : Stock RT seat question

ggfossen
07-04-2007, 02:12 AM
When I took delivery, about 1400 miles ago, of my '07 R12RT, was not really impressed with the stock seat. Today, as I was riding home from town, it occurred to me that the seat didn't seem quite so bad.

It was quite hot, perhaps 90 degrees, and that may have softened the foam a bit, but I don't know that for certain.

My question is whether anyone has experienced a "breaking in" of the new seats after some miles have been ridden?

Gary

HIWAYMIKE
07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
No breakin noticed at 800 miles in very hot weather. Just the opposite. Monkey butt is starting to be painful. Still trying to figure out which seat to buy. All of the high-end customs look good and seem to have a good story. I must conclude that you buy one and live with it, unless you have too much money, in which case you can then buy another one.

Any suggestions - use existing seat pan in an exchange or keep orginal seat and buy a new pan, too?

roborider
07-04-2007, 01:00 PM
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about their aftermarket seat. Mayer, Sargeant, Corbin--never heard anyone say 'don't do it'. I have a heated Corbin on the R12RT. It is firm and wide; really spreads the weight out over your butt and I love it. I sold my stock seat and that helped ease the burden of cost.

Robo

HankPfister
07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
I have the BMW Heated seat on my R12RT, and I love it. I assume it is based on the "comfort seat" option. I've done an 850 mile day with no monkey butt. And the heated option makes winter comuting an enjoyable ride.

ggfossen
07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I have a Corbin on my old '83 RT. It was quite an improvement over the stock, but never did really "break in" as was suggested. To keep the stock pan, or not? There are several factors involved. Primarily, bike down-time. Most of us don't want that. I don't mind the old pan being used, but that would mean a ride in appointment. I guess all of it, including doing anything at all, is pretty much a personal decision. Now...I have to ponder.

Gary

johnv
07-04-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't know if it's my butt that is getting used to my stock RT heated seat or if the seat is softening, but I find my seat getting more comfortable with time. My wife says the same thing about the pillion seat. I won't be spending money on an aftermarket seat.

Johnv

07-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Mine is fine. But on long trips I put a Alaska Butt pads on it at a cost of $45. Joe

dlearl476
07-05-2007, 06:05 AM
When I took delivery, about 1400 miles ago, of my '07 R12RT, was not really impressed with the stock seat. Today, as I was riding home from town, it occurred to me that the seat didn't seem quite so bad.

It was quite hot, perhaps 90 degrees, and that may have softened the foam a bit, but I don't know that for certain.

My question is whether anyone has experienced a "breaking in" of the new seats after some miles have been ridden?

Gary

I think it may be your body "breaking in" or, as I like to call it "learning" a new position. I think it takes a few weeks for your body to get used to a new ergonomic set up. Once your muscles and joints get a little used to a certain position, it seems more natural. Every time I'm off my Triumph Sprint for more than a couple of weeks, my body has to re-learn the postition. Then it's as comfortable as any bike I own.

rudytenorio
07-05-2007, 07:39 PM
My fellow rider, such a seat could not get much softer. In fact you are probably seating directly on the seat pan. I bought a sargent seat which is considerably harder which makes it more comfortable. the softer stock seat (for me) was good for a ride down the corner to get a cup of coffee and that was plenty.

deilenberger
07-06-2007, 03:12 AM
And seats are a subject that everyone has an opinion on - usually a different opinion than everyone else, including me..

Your butt will vary - which means - the seat needs of one person don't equate to the seat needs of another. What one person loves (Sargent for instance) another person finds awful (I did).. and some people simply aren't sensitive to seating (hence the term "Iron Butt".)

I wouldn't make any recommendation except to perhaps try an air cushion before spending large $$$ on a custom seat. Two that are good are AirHawk and FreedomAir. I prefer FreedomAir since it has a relief cutout of some important parts of my body. Other people don't find that a real need and the AirHawk works fine for them.

If one of these works for you (retail prices are around $130) - you just saved $300+ that you can spend riding. If not - it will resell for very little loss on Ebay or the FleaMarket or IBMWR Marketplace. No gain = No loss (I've actually had them sell for more than I paid for one - on Ebay..)

Other than that - the best aftermarket seat I owned (and I think I've owned most of the biggies) was a Russell Day-Long. It really is a great seat if you can get over the look of it. And that's my opinion - which I'd suggest you ignore or pay attention to - your choice. :deal

07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I have a 05 RT with 10,500 miles and I think the bike is great. I have made many rides of 5 hours and less and had no problem with the seat.
CW

dlowry
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm considering the Sargent seat for my 05 RT12RT. I rarely carry a passenger so I'm thinking of the front only heated option. Can anyone with a Sargent seat confirm if the stock rear seat will still fit on the bike? On those rare occasions of a cold autumn day I might carry a passenger, it would be nice if I could provide some comfort for the passenger (ie, the SO..)

Thanx!

MCRIDER2
07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I just ordered the Sargent seat. Heated version and it shipped today. I'll let you know how it feels. I tried the Corbin but didn't like it because of the added weight and I couldn't touch the ground without having it modified.

Sargent has a 30 day money back guarantee and if it doesn't work I will take them up on that offer.

Tom K.
07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm considering the Sargent seat for my 05 RT12RT. I rarely carry a passenger so I'm thinking of the front only heated option. Can anyone with a Sargent seat confirm if the stock rear seat will still fit on the bike? On those rare occasions of a cold autumn day I might carry a passenger, it would be nice if I could provide some comfort for the passenger (ie, the SO..)

Thanx!

When I ordered my Sargent (early 2006), one had to purchase both front and rear seats (ca.$650 US without heat) as the passenger seat mates with the front to mount on the bike. Although I found the Sargent to be a great inprovement over stock, the Rick Mayer (front only) seat I now have is even better.

Of course since everyone`s nether regions are different, your mileage may vary!
Tom

1analguy
07-18-2007, 01:19 PM
My '07 RT has stock heated seats (at 2000 miles) and my tail bone is crying for mercy after about 1/2 hour. Excellent foam, just shaped the opposite of correct. I talked to Sargent at the rally. They didn't have heated seats for me so I got their standard seats on the 30-day deal, to be returned for the heated version if all else proved satisfactory. Well, it didn't. Their seat is WAY more comfortable, no question.

I'm 6'2" and around 225lbs in gear. I ride with my seat in the "high" position, so that's how I mounted the Sargent. We went for about an hour ride and when we returned, the back of the driver's seat had plopped down to the "low" position (the front, of course, still being high). It seems that the front and rear mounts on their driver's seat are about 1/8-3/16" closer together than the mounts on the stock seat, allowing the rear rubber cushions to slip/mush down to the low position when under my unfortunately considerable load.

I am bummed by this as I hadn't wanted to go through the grief and delay of ordering a custom seat built on my pan. That is exactly what I will do, though. I'm returning the Sargent for a refund...

njnear
07-19-2007, 04:43 PM
I rode 5k miles and never did notice any break in. The seats just too narrow and too soft. Plus the way the passenger seat is made, puts an abnormal pressure on my backside when I sit back and starts to annoy after a while.

Just before my latest trip I purchased the beads (see other threads on that discussioin) that tie down to your seat. That helped tremendously, but it's still not as comfortable as an aftermarket seat.

henzilla
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
I have an '05 and just made the jump in time to have my seat waiting at the rally:clap
always felt like I was sliding forward,even at high seat position and 22K miles...with the stocker...6'1 190 lbs and after riding 2000 miles on my new Corbin....I guess I have a Corbin butt as some call it...I enjoyed it 10 miles from install after getting used to the diff feel and as a friend said...My A** sent me a thank you note!:p

MCRIDER2
07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I just ordered the Sargent seat. Heated version and it shipped today. I'll let you know how it feels. I tried the Corbin but didn't like it because of the added weight and I couldn't touch the ground without having it modified.

Sargent has a 30 day money back guarantee and if it doesn't work I will take them up on that offer.

I got the Sargent seats. They fit perfectly and look great. My wife says it feels great - She no longer slides forward all the time.

Now for the big "but". It doesn't feel good to me especially in the area of my cheek bones. This seat hurts me way more than the stock seat.

After all my experimenting I found the Corbin to be too heavy and didn't fit very well. The Sargent fit great and the Sargent front or back seat integrated very well with the stock front or rear seats.

The Sargent front seat hurt from the moment I sat on it and the ride never improved over the next 1,000 miles or so. As a note I got the low version of their seat so I cannot comment on how the regular version would work. It does look like it would have more padding.

So the Sargent seats will be returned and my next call will be to Rick Mayer to find out what he can do for me.

1analguy
07-22-2007, 06:04 AM
While the Sargent seat for the '07 RT is more comfortable than the stock "seat" (what isn't?), it does NOT fit perfectly if you mount it in the "tall" position! Oh, it goes on really easy. It should, because it fits so sloppy. We tried it again yesterday with another three-hour ride and not only does it not fit the bike correctly, it gave me a macho pain right where my right leg meets my butt bone ('round back). I measured the driver's seat mounts on both the stock seat and the Sargent. The rear mount/bumpers on the Sargent seat are 1/4" farther forward than they are on the stock seat. This won't matter at all if you run the seat in the "low" position, but it allows the bumpers to slip down off of the "tall" platform and onto the "low" one when loaded with a driver (which is kind of necessary)...