PDA

View Full Version : Want to pull a trailer

campbroker
06-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Just purchased 07 R1200RT. Used to pull a small trailer with camping gear with my Kawaski Concours. Is it possible with the RT? Need hitch suggestions and how or who to call re wiring lights.

joelaw
06-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Bushtec makes a hitch and the required wiring harness that works with the CANBUS.

Check their website; www.bushtec.com. The hitch is a bit pricey, but is the only game in town, that I am aware of anyway. They do make good equipment, so you get what your pay for. :)

If you have questions send them an e-mail, they are very responsive and usually turn around a response with in a day.

dlowry
06-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm waiting until my warranty expires. BMW told me the towing will void warranty, and foolishly I believe them. At least, I think my dealer would - can't speak for others... My dealer is close, and the mechanic is good. The dealership itself, let just say we're a tertiary business to them (Cars, Minis, Bikes). So you just might want to check with your dealer to make sure they'll honour the warranty before leaping...

cjack
06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm waiting until my warranty expires. BMW told me the towing will void warranty, and foolishly I believe them. At least, I think my dealer would - can't speak for others... My dealer is close, and the mechanic is good. The dealership itself, let just say we're a tertiary business to them (Cars, Minis, Bikes). So you just might want to check with your dealer to make sure they'll honour the warranty before leaping...

I would not ask permission. I would only ask forgiveness.
Depends on what goes wrong. If the final drive or the trans has problems, your warranty may be an issue. But if your EWS antenna goes bad, no problem. Also, I would recommend that when you have a problem, any problem or maintenance, take the hitch and trailer off. That makes it so much easier for the dealer to give warranty for any fault and do the service. And save you the extra expense of the labor to work around the accessories.

campbroker
07-02-2007, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, I'm also going to check w/ Mark Huffman, the new owner of Uni-go in Ohio. I've heard he may make one... we'll see.

Darrell

Motorradfahrer
07-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Campbroker:
I currently haul a Uni-Go trailer with my 2006 R1200 RT. The hitch is made by Bushtec which is of good quality, however it would be better to have the attachement flange welded up right in order to cause less flex at the hitch/trailer area. Bushtec will not modify this for you as they assume you will use/or buy their Bushtec trailers. Even with the help of Mark Huffman of Uni-Go, Bushtec will have nothing to do with how you want the Uni-Go to be attached. I am currently in Kansas and have as of now traveled 5000+ miles coming from the west, I have been real contend with the system except trying to eliminate some flex points. The hitchs primary tube does flex a bit which is normal,,but then the horizontal flange(where the ball anchor for Bushtec trailer is attached) and the given L-angled attachment for the Uni-Go attachment is....this causes a total of 3 flex points which I presume is too much. It is very noticeable in high winds and truck buffeting. All BMW dealers I have visited for oil changes, tire changes..minor adjustments, etc., don't bat an eye in regard to the hitchs existence. I did remove my hitch when having a rear tire changed...they still noticed the extra wiring harness for the trailer tucked away but said nothing. I have installed Kisan flashing brake lights on the Uni-Go trailer but have been unsuccessfull with having it installed on my R1200rt even with the help of Kisan. They had limited success on mine.