PDA

View Full Version : First gen. ABS Q.

mmnh
01-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi all, just bought a 92 K75RT with ABS. It will not be ridden till spring but on my test drive last fall I thought that the rear ABS was rough in it's operation, as in, skid, roll, skid, roll. Didn't have the balls to try the same test on the front end. ABS lights cycle as outlined in the Rider's manual I purchased. I read somewheres that this system cycles at 7 Hertz. Is this what I am feeling?:dunno This is not something I would want to have happen when banked over in a curve. Or, is this normal and one should not approach the ABS on threshold unless upright and traveling in a straight line

kbasa
01-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by mmnh
Hi all, just bought a 92 K75RT with ABS. It will not be ridden till spring but on my test drive last fall I thought that the rear ABS was rough in it's operation, as in, skid, roll, skid, roll. Didn't have the balls to try the same test on the front end. ABS lights cycle as outlined in the Rider's manual I purchased. I read somewheres that this system cycles at 7 Hertz. Is this what I am feeling?:dunno This is not something I would want to have happen when banked over in a curve. Or, is this normal and one should not approach the ABS on threshold unless upright and traveling in a straight line

I try to stay away from threshold braking while leaned over. A little trailing rear is OK, but if you really start to hammer the brakes the bike is going to stand up and run straight.

And yeah, ABS I cycles kind of slowly.

cuervo
01-29-2004, 11:31 PM
ABS DOES NOT WORK IN A CURVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last time I was fortunate enough to have ABS (or unfortunate enough to have to use it, depending on your POV), I could definitely feel/hear the clicking of the controller.

Then again, that's how you know it's working.

knary
01-30-2004, 01:20 AM
What they all said.

The first generation ABS is just as you described it - a very abrupt on/off/on/off pulsing. If it kicks in while you're leaned over in a curve, you've got bigger worries than the effects of the ABS. IOW, treat braking while leaned over just as you would on a non-ABS bike.