PDA

View Full Version : Kick stand removal

ggfossen
06-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Someplace, maybe in another forum, someone was asking about removing the kickstand on an R12.

I lowered the bike, and needed to shorten the kick stand. I just came out of the shop from finishing it.

On top of the round black switch, first remove the snap ring. Then the washer. Then the switch. A slight tug, and the switch is removed from the rear support, and can be set up and back out of the way.

The main bolt is removed from the bottom using a large torx. Then comes the tricky part. There is a bushing inserted from the bottom. It's a little hard to see. In the inner edge of the lower portion of the bushing, there is a small hole. I was able to insert a smal punch and rotate and work out the bushing. then the kick stand falls off. Reverse proceedure to install.

The springs take a stout set of pliers.

To shorten it, I lopped off the bottom piece removing about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, ground weld from the foot, and welded it back together. I also add a slight extension in which I placed a bolt with a piece of rubber hose slid over it. When the side stand is in the lower position, the bolt sticks almost straight up. when in the up, or rear, position, I can easily catch the rubber hose/bolt with the heel of my boot. Works well.

GAry

GSWayne
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for posting, I am just about to remove my kickstand and could easily believe the bushing would be tricky if I didn't know about it.

deilenberger
07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Assuming it is much like: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0398&mospid=49569&btnr=46_0930&hg=46&fg=15

Then #2 is the bushing? Did you encounter #3?

ggfossen
07-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Don,
Sorry about the dely. I've been out of pocket for quite awhile....and away from the bike. I don't recalled encountering #3. I cannot, though, go look at the bike. I did pull the kick stand a second time, and it was much easier. The springs do require a bit of work and some strong pliers, but can be done by the lay man.

The shortening takes some fiddling. I did probably take off about a 1/4 too much, but replaced that with a piece of heavy rubber belting that is slightly larger than the foot and it's extension. It works well, and provides some flexible support on grass or uneven ground.

I'm not going to mess with the center stand as I can still muscle it up, and that's all I need.

Gary

GSWayne
07-23-2007, 01:17 AM
I just shortened my center stand and it was MUCH harder to do than the side stand.

ggfossen
07-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Wayne,

Where did you encounter problems with the center stand? I saw where there may be a problem with the bumber stop thing, but I didn't look much beyond that.

Gary

GSWayne
07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
The problem is where to cut the legs without interfering with all the supports and brackets. I cut the legs where they mated to the U curved tube, then shortened them and re-welded them. The problem is mating a straight tube to the curved tube at an angle. I tried using a hole saw at an angle. I got sort of close on one side but the other side needed lots of cut and try grinding to get a reasonable fit. By the time I was done (using the "cut it twice and it is still too short" technique). I had to add 1/4" feet on the bottom of the stand to get the length correct. Battling with the center stand springs was also a struggle. I rigged a tensioning strap through the axle hole to pull the stand back while I lined up the bolts. The photo below shows the shortened stand. I also welded an extension tab to the bumper stop, but this was easy because I happened to have some 1/8" stainless steel scrap and the welding on the SS went much better than the welding on the mild steel tubes (for reasons that are not clear to me).

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/GSWayne/ModifiedCenterStand.jpg

ggfossen
07-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Wayne,

Your stand doesn't look at all as I remember mine...an '07 RT. I'm not home, and haven't been for a few weeks, but I remember mine as quite different?

I have not welded stainless, so I don't know about that part. I have good luck on the mild stuff, but I have a pretty good wire welder that may be hiding a lot of my welding faults.

I still think I will simply leave my center stand as is. As long as I can get it up, it doesn't matter, and I doubt I will loose enough weight to make it more difficult.

thanks,

Gary

GSWayne
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
The reason it doesn't look like an 07 RT stand is because it is from an 05 GS. :)