PDA

View Full Version : '07 GS Adventure BMW Boxes: Plastic Rims

Wallowa
06-22-2007, 01:17 AM
I biffed into the dirt...the left BMW aluminum box on my '07 GSA got a hit to the lid..the box hinge "hooks" that clamp to the pin on the lid were bent inboard..the lid pins popped out of the lid brackets when they also bent inboard..

The big problem is that the box and lid seal consists of a plastic u-shaped rim on the lid that fits over a plastic rim on the box...the lid rim contains the hollow tube seal... when the lid hit the ground it shattered the lid and box plastic rims...no more mating surface or seal..

I was able to bend the hinges straight, re-install the lid pins and pop-rivet them in the straighten lid bracket...BUT BMW does not sell the plastic rims for the lid or the box...you must buy a lid for $245 or the entire unit for $525...

So for the lack of a couple of $5 plastic rims I may have to replace the box...any suggestions?

Has anyone had this problem? How did you replace the rims?

The design on the plastic rims is a very poor one...they lock together and a side load will fracture the plastic..right now!:dunno

Appreciate any input..thanks..Phil::

Eschwab855
06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
NEVER NEVER take your GS in the dirt with your boxes on sorry man thats really all I have for ya

deilenberger
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
NEVER NEVER take your GS in the dirt with your boxes on sorry man thats really all I have for yaThat sorta makes the GS not a real dual-sport/adventure bike doesn't it?