PDA

View Full Version : seat question

screamineagle
06-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I know this topic has been covered before, probably a hundred times, but it is my first time, and I would certainly appreciate help in the form of advise and opinions.

I have an 07 R1200RT. I purchased it in Feb this year. I like everything about the bike but it is very uncomfortable. My previous BMW was an 04RT which I made numerous trips on, including a trip to Alaska during which I rode a thousand miles a day twice. On a normal cross country trip I never had a problem riding 600 to 750 miles per day.

Now on this 07 RT my butt hurts after 200 miles and I am in agony by 500 miles.

My dealer is trying to help. He ordered a Sergeant seat which I can use for a week to see if I like it. I have to tell you. I have a problem convincing myself (not to mention my wife) to spend $700. to make a $19,000 bike more comfortable.

I am going to the International rally in Wisconsin and I was wondering if I should wait to see what might be available there before spending 700. Is there something just as good for less money or am I kidding myself. I have been riding MCs for many many years and have never bought an after market seat. I put 48,000 miles on my 04RT and was very happy with the stock seat. Didn't need an after market seat for that bike even if I could have gotten one dirt cheap. The thought never occured to me. Maybe some of you hexhead riders can shed some light.

Tom K.
06-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Can't believe you managed a 500 mile day on the stock 1200RT seat! My solution was to go with Sargent which improved things considerably - but not quite enough, plus most of my riding is solo so I didn't really need a custom pillion seat. So I recently had a Rick Mayer seat done on my front pan in leather and it is very comfortable. All my seats are the "low"variety, my bike also has lowered pegs and barbacks.

Naturally, it's important to realize that everyone's nether regions are different as I found the R1150RT OEM seat very uncomfortable on a brief test ride. So like they say, YMMV.

At any rate, enjoy your RT!
Tom

jammess
06-17-2007, 06:40 PM
A guy said to me the other day that he just can't understand why someone would pay a totally gross amount of money for a more comfortable motorcycle seat when one can purchase, for a few bucks, a hemeroid cushion at most any drug store that will cure the numb fanny affect on most any motorcycle including an HD sportster. I've never tried it as I have a Rick Meyer saddle on my '04RT which I like very much. Have a Corbin on my '81RT that is a bit hard and maybe I will try the hemeroid cushion.

RTRandy
06-17-2007, 08:22 PM
You're going to get a lot of arguments as to what seat works the best. Rocky Mayer, Rick Mayer, Russel Day Long, Sergent, Corbin, on and on. The fact is they are all pretty good and all work better than your stock seat. On 500 mile plus days, your butt is not getting enough air between you and your fancy seat to stay totally dry. The perspiration and bacteria set you up for being saddle sore.

For about $35 you can get the beadrider http://beadrider.com/ and it really won't matter what your seat is made of. It's not the most sexiest looking thing, but if you're traveling long days it works great for sure. Beadrider makes each set specifically for a particular bike model. Since the owners ride BMWs, they make them for all the models both front and rear seat. Most likely if you are attending the Rally, you will find this product at the Motolights booth. Ask anyone who has tried these especially the Iron Butt folks, and all will tell you they're a great solution.

I have all leather Rocky Mayer saddles and yes I'm pleased with it, but the Beadrider had the most profound effect for all day rides.

deilenberger
06-17-2007, 10:34 PM
As pointed out - your butt pain will vary. I did an article which appeared in December '06 Owners News on what worked on my former R1150RS. That was a FreedomAir cushion. Cost is moderate - about $160. I had tried beads - for me - they made several intense points of pain into thousands of moderate points of pain. Aside from changing the pain - they were of no help to me, but are worth trying as the least expensive cure. Other people find sheepskin work for them, I found them somewhat strange feeling to sit on.

What's really odd - the new Roadster low seat must suit me well. I'm good for 4-5 hours on it before the onset of pain, and then a few Advil I'm good for several more hours before I *have* to get off. If I start out the day with the FreedomAir on the bike - it's 6-8 hours before the onset of pain, and I'm good for about 10 hours with the Advil.

So - your butt will vary. I've owned Sargent (20 minute seat for me), Corbin (30 minute seat) and several Russell (4-5 hour seat - about the same as the stock Roadster low seat.)

Other people will have different results... which makes it pretty obvious that a motorcycle manufacturer will find it hard to make a single seat that looks good and everyone will find comfortable. That said - the Roadster seat is the very first BMW seat I've had no urge to change for aftermarket.

DocZ
06-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Somebody -not me, I don't have the time!! - ought to buy up multiple versions of all the popular seats and subsequently rent 'em out so we can determine what matches our widely diverse keesters.

I had a corbin years ago - yuck. Had a Sargent build for my ST11 - pretty ok but a bit too firm. And on and on.

Ready to pull the trigger to update my '07 RT saddle, but no way am I spending that much loot without a significant tryout.

What a drag.:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

HIWAYMIKE
06-22-2007, 02:43 AM
I had a Corbin on my '96 RT and I could do 400-500 miles without too much discomfort. All of the little holes in the leather must have helped a lot - UNLESS you left it outside of the motel in the rain! I rode one whole day with a wet butt! Not fun!

Last weekend I did two 155 mile segments (Olrando to Gainesville and back) with about 2-3 hours in between on the stock '07 RT seat. I found my left left going numb during each 2.5 hour segment ride. I am convinced I must spend the money to get a different seat. From what I am reading I think I will try a Ricky Mayer (sp?). Now that I have shelled out the cash for heated seats (in Florida? - don't ask) I assume any of the after market guys will be able to provide heated seats? I know I need to do more homework, but do they all use your old seat pan or do they provide new (expensive) ones?

Love the NEW RT FORUM! Thanks!

:thumb

mewaybright
06-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Now that I have shelled out the cash for heated seats (in Florida? - don't ask) I assume any of the after market guys will be able to provide heated seats? I know I need to do more homework, but do they all use your old seat pan or do they provide new (expensive) ones?

I went with a seat from Rocky and he used my pans so I still have my heat just like stock.

I have been in Florida in the winter and it gets cold... so heated seats have a purpose in Florida... everyone doesn't live in Miami.

Tom K.
06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Rick Mayer uses your OEM pan and keeps the heat intact so it operates with the standard BMW switch.

kcallstate
06-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I recommend Rick Mayer (rickmayercycle.com) as my new seat is about four hundred billion times better than the stock seat on my R12RT. No pressure points at all and the price is extremely reasonable. You don't need leather and the vinyl is nicer than stock. The only drawback is time. His seats are high demand and take awhile. I had a Corbin on my 1150RT which was also very comfortable although quite hard. The fit was also terrible which is one of the reasons why I went with Rick Mayer as he used my existing seat so the fit is just like stock, 'cuz it is.

I bought my R12RT in Kansas last October and had to ride it home to Rhode Island so I knew I was dealing with the stock seat for 1500 miles... To survive that ride, I bought a memory-foam office chair pad and used it everyday after the first three hours or so. It looked silly, I'm sure, but when you're on the bike for 12 hours, your priorities change. I had Rick make my custom seat over the winter time.

So I recommend that quick fix in the short term but I would get your order into Rick Mayer ASAP!

Good luck.

FredRydr
06-25-2007, 10:41 PM
I am going to the International rally in Wisconsin and I was wondering if I should wait to see what might be available there before spending 700. Bill,

At the rally in Ohio, I sat on various aftermarket seats and compared them. It saved me hundreds of dollars, because the Sargent seat turned out to be no big deal to my Teutonic butt. The stocker was best.

You can wait a few weeks to get to aftermarket heaven in Wisconsin. If you'd like, I will lend you my sheepskin to sit on while you ride there.

Fred H
'07 Roadster

FredRydr
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
What's really odd - the new Roadster low seat must suit me well. Don,

What's the story with the Roadster low seat choice at purchase? Since the accessory is listed as no cost, I thought I get my choice, but my dealer says it is only free of cost if it is shipped on the bike. That didn't make sense to me. So, I have the standard seat with my 29"-inseam, which feels about the same as my R1150R with the standard seat.

I am wary of the low seat because I assume the way they make it low is by removing foam between my 230-lb body and the plastic pan, but I did want to try it. BMW should supply dealers with two alternate demo seats (low and high).

Fred

ricks01
06-25-2007, 11:16 PM
I know this topic has been covered before, probably a hundred times, but it is my first time, and I would certainly appreciate help in the form of advise and opinions.

I have an 07 R1200RT. I purchased it in Feb this year. I like everything about the bike but it is very uncomfortable. My previous BMW was an 04RT which I made numerous trips on, including a trip to Alaska during which I rode a thousand miles a day twice. On a normal cross country trip I never had a problem riding 600 to 750 miles per day.

Now on this 07 RT my butt hurts after 200 miles and I am in agony by 500 miles.

My dealer is trying to help. He ordered a Sergeant seat which I can use for a week to see if I like it. I have to tell you. I have a problem convincing myself (not to mention my wife) to spend $700. to make a $19,000 bike more comfortable.

I am going to the International rally in Wisconsin and I was wondering if I should wait to see what might be available there before spending 700. Is there something just as good for less money or am I kidding myself. I have been riding MCs for many many years and have never bought an after market seat. I put 48,000 miles on my 04RT and was very happy with the stock seat. Didn't need an after market seat for that bike even if I could have gotten one dirt cheap. The thought never occured to me. Maybe some of you hexhead riders can shed some light.

You have lots and lots of company!! I purchased a k12gt in dec and can only hang in there for maybe an hour. You are absolutely correct. SHOULD NOT have to spend $700 to make a $19,000 bike comfortable. Never had a problem on my intercepter or k11lt. :dunno

calmil
06-26-2007, 02:58 AM
The problem with the stock seats seems to be that all pressure is concentrated on only a small area of the seat. The after market seats do a better job of spreading the "load" around. I found nirvana with a Russell DayLong seat for my R1150RT. It also fits the bike well since the original seat pan is used. There is a 3-4 week, or longer, wait depending on the time of year.

Cal Miller :violin

deilenberger
06-26-2007, 04:10 AM
Don,

What's the story with the Roadster low seat choice at purchase? Since the accessory is listed as no cost, I thought I get my choice, but my dealer says it is only free of cost if it is shipped on the bike. That didn't make sense to me. So, I have the standard seat with my 29"-inseam, which feels about the same as my R1150R with the standard seat.

I am wary of the low seat because I assume the way they make it low is by removing foam between my 230-lb body and the plastic pan, but I did want to try it. BMW should supply dealers with two alternate demo seats (low and high).

FredMy dealer swapped it no charge for me. He may have taken it off another showroom bike - but there was absolutely no charge.. and the dealer did have three demo seats for the bike, low, normal, high.

deilenberger
06-26-2007, 04:12 AM
You have lots and lots of company!! I purchased a k12gt in dec and can only hang in there for maybe an hour. You are absolutely correct. SHOULD NOT have to spend $700 to make a $19,000 bike comfortable. Never had a problem on my intercepter or k11lt. :dunnoThe problem is - not everyones butt is the same.

My butt had awful problems with the K "Comfort Seat" - which was the best of the stock K bike seats. The standard K bike seat had me in agony in about 30 minutes.

The stock low Roadster seat works for me. I may be the only one in the US that it works for - but it does work well for me - better than even a custom Russell I had made up for my K bike.

Different butts - different seats. Probably impossible to make one seat comfortable for everyone.