PDA

View Full Version : Tire Selection for R1200RT

DocZ
05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Just returned to the BMW fold recently after 7 (totally uneventful - in a good way) years on a Honda ST11. So my comments arise from the ST experience.

No Pilots were available for the ST11's outdated tire/wheel sizes so no experience...

BT020 - wore out fast in the twisties. But then we have a place in the N. GA mts. 90% of my riding is there.

MEZ-4 - loved the steering feel. Ft would wear out before rear and before you ask, YES my tire was NOT under inflated. Fair disclosure - 90% twisty riding.

D-205 - not a fan. Your results may differ.

Z-6 - Metzler adverts them as about 20% better than the ME-Z4. I concur. Nice tire. The comments about not performing in the rain baffle me. Whatever...

BobMielke
06-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Just the facts - 2005 R1200RT with 38,000 miles on the bike. Initial tires were Metzler Z6, got 14,000 on them. Next came Michelin Street Pilots, got 11,000 on those. Finally I switched to Bridgestone B20's, got 12,000 out of them but the tires gripped like crazy and wore evenly through the life of the tires. Just put Bridgestone's new B21s on the RT and have 2,000 miles on a great set of tires. They all had some road noise due to the type of pavement in the PNW. I like the Bridgestones the best. You judge & do your own testing. I did mine.

blkb1rd
06-20-2007, 11:47 PM
My 06 came with Cont. Road Attack I've only got a scant 3.5K on them BUT they seam to have little wear and they grip VERY well

Whats on your oddmeter

Tom Casey
06 R12RT (still broke)
75 R75/6 (GM yellow)

marcopolo
06-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I've got 33,000+ kms (20,500+ miles) on my '06 RT. It came with Dunlop D220s, but I have been running Metzeler Z6s since then. I may replace them with Michelin Pilot Roads next week before leaving for the Rally in West Bend. The only thing I don't lke about them (Z6s) is the lack of rain grooves in the middle of the rear tire, making it difficult to tell how much tread is left (a common complaint). Since I wear earplugs, a noisy tire wouldn't bother me.

stagsleap
05-25-2009, 01:35 PM
My 2007 R 1200 GSA originally came with Metzeler Tourances. Most people were telling me they rode between 6-10,000 miles before changing the rear tire. One CHP officer told me he rode 12,000 miles before changing. I currently have 55,000+ miles and I'm on my 3rd, yes 3rd rear. I dealer doesn't believe my claim!!! LOL. The first rear was changed at 20,500 and the second rear at just over 23,000 miles. I changed my front tire at 46,000. Of note I have been REPEATEDLY told to run tire pressures about 5-6 PSI "less than the recommended". I don't, the recommended pressure is 42 PSI and I religiously check every other week.

mpmarty
05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
WOW! Two years of silence and a resurrection!

womanridge
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
My 2007 R 1200 GSA originally came with Metzeler Tourances. Most people were telling me they rode between 6-10,000 miles before changing the rear tire. One CHP officer told me he rode 12,000 miles before changing. I currently have 55,000+ miles and I'm on my 3rd, yes 3rd rear. I dealer doesn't believe my claim!!! LOL. The first rear was changed at 20,500 and the second rear at just over 23,000 miles. I changed my front tire at 46,000. Of note I have been REPEATEDLY told to run tire pressures about 5-6 PSI "less than the recommended". I don't, the recommended pressure is 42 PSI and I religiously check every other week.

Pardon my sarcasm, but do you ride over 30 mph? 20K is unbelievable. Does anybody else out there get that much out of a tire?:confused:

henzilla
05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
semi- hijack since original question was on Hexhead RT tires...

I have gotten 12 K out of Pilot Roads on the rear, and 19K out of a front on my RT even higher at least once.

I have never experienced a Tourance lasting that long. I am on a 7K average for the rear on my GSA. And that is on three diff GS's from '05-'09. I changed the first front on the '09 at 14K, could have worn it out a bit more, but was going on long trip.
I have center cord ready to show at 7500 pretty regularly...40-42 PSI depending on road surfaces and loading. Ride almost daily on abrasive chip seal roads and average 5MPH over the limit.

maxscycle
05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Pardon my sarcasm, but do you ride over 30 mph? 20K is unbelievable. Does anybody else out there get that much out of a tire?:confused:

I got 19,400 out of my oem tourance rear, the front still had 3/32 of tread left. I installed a set of met me880's in there place and at 11,000 I can barely tell they have worn any.
max

tbryant
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I have 68k on my 06 RT. I just had to replace the front about two months ago. Went from PR to PR2, the PR went 29k miles...call John C. at Iron Horse in Tucson...he is a witness. I regularly get 20k+ from PR on rear. I now have PR2s front and rear. The rear is approaching 20k and is at about 25% remaining. Here in AZ is a lot of flat riding most of the time. Keep pressures at 36F, 42R. The PR2s are a little quieter than the PRs, though the rear PR2 likes to howl a bit at 60 mph until hot. I wouldn't think of putting anything else on my RT, Michelin came OEM.

Terry

greenwald
05-26-2009, 09:40 PM
'05 R1200RT:

OEM's - Michelin Pilot Roads.......11,000+ miles per set

Next - Michelin Pilot Roads.........11,000+ miles per set

Next - Avon Storm ST's..................4,000 miles per set

Ordering Pilot Roads next month, as needed before the Rally.

tbryant
05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Get the PR2s, they cost a little more but are so nice. they stick really well and don't seem to flat spot the rear like the PR did. I'm told they are better in the rain as well but we don't concern ourselves with that so much here in the desert!!

Terry

ps...the front tire is almost silent compared to PR, which howled like a big dog on my RT.

womanridge
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't underestand what those that get 20k out of a tire are doing right and I apparently am doing wrong. I rarely ride city and do a lot of higher speed (65+mph) so that may be the reason. I'm closer to Greenwald's milage, rather that some of you getting 19, 20 and even 23k. Can someone getting those high miles-per-tire tell me what kind of riding they do to get that many miles?

stkmkt1
05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
I cannot speak for others, but I typically get about 80,000 (yes 80,000) out of tires on my autos which are rated for about 30-40,000 miles. I fully expect to get similar wear percentages on my GSA. One reason would be that most of my miles are highway miles. Another point would be because I do not make jack-rabbit starts or fast stops. And finally, another reason would be because I live in Central Illinois, where the roads are not as hot as say Texas, or other sun-belt state. All of these factors will tend to increase or decrease your mileage. Of course, I did not mention air pressure. I check air pressure in all of my vehicles once a week, except bikes, where it is checked each morning that I ride that particular bike.

My GSA came with Bridgestone Battle Wings and since I just brought it home on May 9th, it only has about 3,000 miles on them at this point. It will be interesting to see how they fair in the long run.

Can someone with experience tell us how the Z6's compare in noise and handling compared with the BattleWings? I would interested to know.

Thanks in advance.

tbryant
05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
We have very good roads here in Arizona. I try to check air pressures (36F, 42R) at least every couple of weeks. Most of my riding is hiway, higher speeds, between 60 & as much as 100+. Bike is seldom loaded with any kind of luggage though the three boxes are always installed. I try not to do much heavy breaking in town, or hard acceleration. Also, I try to keep downshift braking to a minumum, this helps preserve rear tire and clutch disc, would rather replace brake pads than clutch disc. Other than that, just a normal rider.

Terry

cwsenn
05-30-2009, 04:36 PM
My 06RT came with the Bridgestone's and they were nice tires, gripped well on the wet pavement we have in western Washington most of the fall,winter and spring months. I changed them at 11,000 as I had a flat and I really wanted to try the Michelin PR's anyway and they were showing significant wear at that point.
The Michelin PR's are too noisy and when I turned out my driveway onto the paved road I could feel the rear tire slip a little when it hit the painted stipe in the road. Not much but I would always feel it. Maybe the tire just wasn't warmed up or had a little dirt/gravel left on it from my driveway. I put 12,000 miles on the set and then went with Continental Road Attacks.
I now have 4,000 on these and absolutely love them. I think of the three I have tried the Continentals are the best by far for the weather conditions we have in this part of the country. I personally will not be purchasing Michelin tires again as they were my least favorite of the three I have tried.

Chuck Senn

greenwald
05-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Get the PR2s, they cost a little more but are so nice. they stick really well and don't seem to flat spot the rear like the PR did. I'm told they are better in the rain as well but we don't concern ourselves with that so much here in the desert!!

Terry

ps...the front tire is almost silent compared to PR, which howled like a big dog on my RT.

Thanks - PR2's it is!

Bud
05-31-2009, 02:56 AM
Kevin,

I put PR2's on my 97 RT and have been very happy with the wear so far, 6K.

Of course, fast starts, stops and other "hoon" behavior means I never get anything close to 20K on any MC tires. :laugh

greenwald
06-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Kevin,

I put PR2's on my 97 RT and have been very happy with the wear so far, 6K.

Of course, fast starts, stops and other "hoon" behavior means I never get anything close to 20K on any MC tires. :laugh

Closet REBEL! :blah

westhautianplen
06-04-2009, 06:00 PM
'05 R1200RT:

OEM's - Michelin Pilot Roads.......11,000+ miles per set

Next - Michelin Pilot Roads.........11,000+ miles per set

Next - Avon Storm ST's..................4,000 miles per set

Ordering Pilot Roads next month, as needed before the Rally.

Greenwald,
I have addressed this post to you, however if anyone else has any input, I would appreciate any advice.
I have about 5k on the Avon Storms and have been very pleased with handling characteristics. These tires are wearing fine, however the rear tire has a thump in it, at slow speeds it is real noticeable. I can not detect a visible flat spot in the tire and the sound is louder when I turn.
Is this a failure warning or is it normal for this tire?

ballen262
06-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I have never used anything but Z6 on my 02 1150RT, I am a very aggressive rider on corners and take off and de-celeration.

I am trying to get out of the hard take off and stops to help get longer life on the tires but for the first set of PR2 I want to ride the same and not change anything to see how the PR2 compare to the Z6's.

So far Im at 600 miles on the tires and they do require a good 2 to 3 hundy miles to break in really well on my style of cornering.

so Far I will say that the PR2 are a very aggressive hold in the corners very impressed on my first hard ride on cornering they do steer harder in the corners due to the soft sides but they go where I tell them too, as I have marked up the side walls of the tires so far about 2mm from the side pinch seam, like I said Im a hard cornering rider and I will say the tires hold just as good as the Z6 did in corners.

I went to the PR2 as I want to see if the tires will give me more miles on center tread do the the harder compound in the center on the PR2 duel compound tire.

I will keep everyone posted on the difference.

on the Z6 I was only getting about 4500 to 5000 miles on the Z6 on the rear and I could almost go threw 2 sets of fronts for every rear on the Z6.

If the PR2 can get me 2 to maybe 3000 thousand miles more on the rear for my type of riding I will stay with PR2.