PDA

View Full Version : Review: BMW R1200 Series Maintenance DVD

flash412
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
A little over a month ago, in this thread (http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16398), "Jim Von Baden" announced the release of his Service Maintenance DVD for the R1200 Series. Jim has sold many copies. I was offered a copy to view and asked to start a thread to review the DVD, snippets of which may be included in an upcoming article in the MOA News. So, if you've seen the disk and have an opinion or comments, positive or negative, please share.

My perspective is one of general mechanical competence for working on vehicles yet total ignorance as far as the R1200 goes. As I generated a Service & Maintenance DVD set for the F650, perhaps that makes Jim and me some sort of "peers." We both hope that others will generate this sort of material for other models of BMW, and other marques for that matter. It isn't hard to do.

Jim's material is well organized and generally presented in a clear and concise fashion. The lighting and sound are good. Except for the rare arm blocking a view of something, it is easy to see what is going on.

Occasionally the list of tools and materials for a given section flies by a little too fast. But hey, that's what the pause button is for. Once in a while I wished that a shot had been shortened in editing. Watching Jim screw in four bolts was not any more informative (to me) than watching him screw in one bolt and then tighten it to the proper torque. But that sort of thing can certainly be considered a matter of personal style.

I thought that the organization and presentation of the material was good. Having watched the DVD, I would have no qualms about tackling any of the items covered. I would recommend this DVD for anyone who owns an R1200 that has any interest in maintaining their own bike. Seems to me that by spending ~$25 (+ shipping), one could stop the dealer from charging a pantload of cash for normal, easily performed in the garage, routine maintenance. Besides, scheduling time in your own garage is generally a lot easier and more flexible than scheduling time at the dealership for maintenance. I'm all for motorcyclists NOT being credit card and cell phone riders. This DVD is a great leg-up for anyone who owns an R1200 and doesn't know what to do to get started. I would think that the cost of buying the DVD would be returned at least three or four times over the very first time you maintain your own bike instead of taking it to a dealer. Plus, the pride of ownership and your "Zen" with your machine would increase as well.

kbasa
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
:thumb

Thanks, Flash.

knary
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
:thumb

Did it make you consider getting an R1200?

:hide

:ha

deilenberger
08-21-2007, 01:16 PM
:type As a 1200 owner - a few more comments since I do my own wrenching.

There are a few spots where I personally would add a bit more information, but overall - for someone who has basic mechanical skills and wants a friendly helping hand to guide them in their first tries at wrenching on the R1200's - Jim's DVD is well worth having.

Obviously - the DVD isn't all inclusive or comprehensive. Jim doesn't have every model of the 1200 on hand to show the differences in getting to various components - so the owner still has to have some skill or knowledge in doing something like getting to the throttle-body on an R1200RT (much more of a chore than on other 1200 models.)

Worth the $$$? If you are thinking of doing any of your own maintenance - it more than likely will be. :type

screamineagle
08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Flash,
Can you tell me where I can get one of the DVDs

SNC1923
08-21-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm just entering the world of full-solo routine maintenance on my 1200. Up till now I've had the help of a well-intentioned friend who wound up doing most of the work himself.

The timing of this product is perfect. I ordered one today--Jim was most repsonsive--and I can't wait to get it. Based on flash's review, it may be ideal for a noob like me.

I'll offer my 0.02 after I have a chance to view it.

The_Veg
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Ordered mine about a week ago- can't wait to give it a look!

Stuff2c
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I believe it's worth every penny, keeps my from having to look all over the net for the info:thumb
It's can be purchased here.
http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/

dancogan
08-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Got my copy some time ago. It provides the information and pictures you need to do normal maintenance on a hexhead. I thought it was really well done. It was recently very favorably reviewed in Motorcycle Consumer News.