PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning R1200GSA

hintzir09
05-07-2007, 05:50 PM
I just started to tackle cleaning my back after a month long 8,000 mile trip.

I'm curious to know any tricks that any of you use to get in the small areas where a rag can't wipe things off. Any special products or tools to clean with?

What about in the off season-does anyone take apart the bike in order to give it a good clean???

All the help would be appreciated.

USERNAME
05-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Moved this over to Oilheads where it'll be seen by fellow R1200GS enthusiasts.

gsinmaine
05-07-2007, 10:34 PM
old tooth brush works good and for off season YES strip her down and clean wax (Presser washing is A NO NO!)

GlobalRider
05-08-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm curious to know any tricks that any of you use to get in the small areas where a rag can't wipe things off. Any special products or tools to clean with?

OK, first off this is my bike after many years and miles...

http://edelweiss.smugmug.com/photos/148699758-M.jpg

OK, now that we got that out of the way, this is how I go about it.

My inventory of tricks:

- a good assortment of toothbrushes.

- one or more 1" (sash) paint brush(es). These have longer bristles and you want pure bristles, not a poly brush. One that I found to be quite good is the blue long handled Rubbermaid bushes available at Wal-Mart. I use heat shrink to cover the metal band on the paint brush to avoid it from scratching anything.

- Bug-B-Gone by Sea Foam (http://www.seafoamsales.com/bugsBGone.htm) is used for removing baked on bugs on the cylinders and engine.

- kerosene to remove road tar.

- Swish Facto AT30 Aircraft, Mass Transit and Vehicle Cleaner (http://www.swishclean.com/product.htm?Product=5830-20&Source=Search) is used as a degreaser and cleaner.

- soft rags for the larger flat surfaces such as gas tanks and windscreens.

- Meguiar's Swirl Remover (http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-cleaner-polishs/Swirl-Remover) to polish up painted surfaces and windscreens. I've used this product to buff up the windscreens of motorcycles as well as those plastic headlight lenses found on cars today. The high gloss finish when polishing paint is first rate. It can be applied by hand or polisher.

- lemon Pledge for painted surfaces and plastic.

- lots of elbow grease and patience. I don't use or believe in pressure washers.

What about in the off season-does anyone take apart the bike in order to give it a good clean???

Seat, gas tank, side cover, skid plate and engine protection bars come off.

SNC1923
05-08-2007, 03:51 AM
To Alex's learned list, I would add

Simple Green
WD-40

I recently went to an autoparts store and picked up an assortment of brushes. A spoke cleaning brush works in a lot of places on this bike, too.

Good luck and happy cleaning!

PacWestGS
05-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Not that my GS looks like Alex's (I don't wash it. LOL) but once or twice a year I'll clean it all up and check for loose bolts and fittings.

I have found that baby bottle brushes work very well and you can pick them up cheap at the $1.00 store (The ones that have both a large brush and a nipple brush on the other end.)

Kidding all aside, I ride in the rain so much it's just not worth sitting around on my time off to wash things. Hehehe :violin

S-100, Simple Green, and liberal use of WD-40 to get the stuborn stuff (tar) off...

I use PLEXUS to wipe the tank and plastic down as needed to keep up with the Jones's

PWGS

henzilla
05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
- Swish Facto AT30 Aircraft, Mass Transit and Vehicle Cleaner (http://www.swishclean.com/product.htm?Product=5830-20&Source=Search) is used as a degreaser and cleaner.

I am going to buy some of this stuff just for the LONG descriptive name:laugh ...sounds like you need an EPA permit for it!:deal

hintzir09
05-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Great ideas from all of you.

Thanks so much.

SNC1923
05-08-2007, 02:44 PM
How about a picture after it's all cleaned up?

BRADFORDBENN
05-09-2007, 01:39 AM
I also go with soaking towels. What I do is place a clean towel over the dirty section of the motorcycle; think front of it. I then wet the towel liberally and let it sit there for a while. Then I wet it again. It works really well and the water is fully biodegradeable.

GlobalRider
05-09-2007, 02:49 AM
I am going to buy some of this stuff just for the LONG descriptive name:laugh ...sounds like you need an EPA permit for it!:deal

Well there is an MSDS PDF data sheet for the product on their web site. The stuff has a pH of 12.9, so if you are a girlie man, it can dry your hands out in a hurry. Trust me, this stuff removes grease and oil better than any product I've seen, yet is water based.

Swish Maintenance does have a US office.

RONDO
05-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I washed mine..... well when was the last time it rained?

Ride
Repeat
Ride
Repeat
Ride
Repeat
Ride
Repeat
Ride
Repeat

Best wash in town!

Oh just looked at the weather - looks like today is a wash day :dance

Dave

Wallowa
05-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Well there is an MSDS PDF data sheet for the product on their web site. The stuff has a pH of 12.9, so if you are a girlie man, it can dry your hands out in a hurry. Trust me, this stuff removes grease and oil better than any product I've seen, yet is water based.

Swish Maintenance does have a US office.

Damn Global...no wonder that stuff dissolves anything it touches...12.9 on a scale of 14! What is it high test ammonia? I guess a propane torch would do the same thing...

GlobalRider
05-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Damn Global...no wonder that stuff dissolves anything it touches...12.9 on a scale of 14! What is it high test ammonia?

No, just the best vehicle degreaser/cleaner out there. Used by the airlines, so it must be good & safe.

It looks like blue windshield washer.

06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
If we get some guys together we could order the smallest container they have in the US (Burlington, vermont) which is a 20 liter pail for $81. They are all out right now.

Not sure what the haz mat shipping would entail but UPS won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Somebody must repackage it in Canada for Alex . Maybe he has an extra liter as a loner?

These guys also have a, "Swish Clean-it Vehicle Wash," in a 946ml bottle shown on their site clearance deals for $2.36. Item 8031-1. 1/2 clearance price.
Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

06-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I called swish to order the 8031-1 Clean-it Vehicle wash listed in the clearance portion of their site and they said they'd get back to me.

Later I checked the site again and guess what:
all their clearance stuff was swished away. :dunno :violin
Must be good stuff if they can modulate their site that fast. :type :type :type :type

GlobalRider
06-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Not sure what the haz mat shipping would entail but UPS won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Somebody must repackage it in Canada for Alex . Maybe he has an extra liter as a loner?

Sorry for the late reply but I have been out of internet contact since the beginning of the month...was busy riding the Alps...tough job, you know.

The WHIMIS info is on their site. They ship by truck, so I don't know what the issue is.

The product is made in Canada. I buy my 20 liter pail locally. I also dropped off another liter to a friend in Germany, he likes the stuff so much.