PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT Question

professor
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm seriously considering a new RT within the next few months. I see posts here about 1150RT's, but not much on the new 1200. Most of my riding is 1-up and I like the sportiness of the RT, but the performance of the new Wing is quite surprising. I'd like to get some feedback from some 1200RT owners. Thanks.

greenwald
05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I ride an '05 R1200RT, and my annual miles seem to be a balance between solo exploring and two-up touring.

Excellent ride for all desires - better than any Wing or H-D I've put miles on.

Low center of gravity and good lean angle makes control a given.

I made a few 'modifications' - PIAA riding lights, handlebar risers, TailBlazer brake light, etc., but actually this is quite the bike "right out of the box."

Even if I was condemmed to motoring sans partner for the rest of my life, this would be my ride.

Consider it....seriously!

dlowry
05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey Professor,

I'll be the first to admit that I love my RT, however I have no past experiences with BMW prior to the RT, so what I tell you will be based solely on my experiences on the bike.

I was drawn to the RT because of the 'sportiness' of the bike. Coming from an 22 year old factory Suzuki Turbo I was looking for some comfort as well. Riding the Turbo all those years got harder and harder on my arms from the pronounced forward riding position. However, I did know that I was not a fan of the cruiser style riding position. I think the slouched riding style would be hard on one's back over a long day of riding, more so than the forward style of the Turbo. The RT fit perfectly. It has a nice, mostly upright riding position. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, and I find it very comfortable. I've done quite a number of all day rides and have no troubles with my arms or back.

The power of the bike is exceptional. While I am mid-40s, I still like the idea of speed and power. I tend to ride around the city and suburbs of Toronto, notorious for bad drivers and equally bad traffic. I also travel out of the city all the time on excursions to the cottage and beyond. Never have I wanted for more power. Heck, I've even managed a few small wheelies just because I like to know I can. I was a dirt rider originally. Like many I have found the saddle a tad uncomfortable. I keep a sheepskin in the side bags for when I get a bit sore, and I keep talking about getting a new saddle. Still, I pack on the miles.

My configuration is fairly simple. Heated everything, cruise control, and the clear lens' on the signals. I've added an Autocom Super Pro AVI, XM radio, a Garmin 276C GPS, and still trying to get the Cobra radios to work between bikes. I found the wind protection to be adequate, but I added an Aeroflow screen just to provide a bit better wind/rain protection. Recently I was able to secure a Ztechnic muffler at a good price so I added this to the bike. It has a bit more growl now, but not so much that my neighbours want to lynch me for starting the bike up.

My beefs with the bike are fairly simple. The aforementioned saddle, the 'oil low' indicator comes on when the oil is half-way up the window, and the temperature gauge is anything but accurate - it tends to read about 3-5C above (6-10F) what the actual temperature is. It used to read about 1-2C below until BMW applied a firmware update. I understand there are fixes for this and I just have to find the time to take the bike in.

Some people say the CANBUS is a beef, I personally don't have a problem with it. I've been able to add accessories without any problems simply by using the accessory port to trigger a relay from the battery.

I'm sure there are others who have the ability to compare the R12RT to others in the BMW line, but from my perspective, if you are looking for a sporty bike that can go for miles and miles, have loads of room in the luggage, this one fits just nice.

Cheers!

Dave...

podsobinski
05-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I have a 06 1200RT and ride two up packed with gear for 2-6 days and driving at legal speeds I get 54 mpg which is better than my 02 GS when I drive alone but go above the speed limit. With the large travel trunk and all the bells and whistles it'll match any full dress touring bike for comfort especially for the significant other, the list of options is amazing. . .add to that a helmet to helmet communication system and you are set. Plenty of power and great handling make it a winner and don't forget those cyclinders are sticking out! Man, it can't get any better. . .

hlothery
05-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I would like to echo all the positive things thus said about the RT. Mine is the best bike I have ever owned, and the best I can imagine. I have replaced the saddles with Rick Mayer, installed bar backs, installed a Baehr intercom system, and a NavII gps. It is great for commuting to work, weekend forays into the Texas Hill Country twisties, or for a cross-country trip two up. Lots of power, smooth, reliable. Excellent protection from the elements. Have ridden when it was 37 (with the little dash snowflake flashing!) and when it was 104. Love it.

Only complaints I have are also about the minor stuff. Oil warning light was a constant annoyance until I had the dealer install the warranty fix. The temperature was 4 degrees too low until the software upgrade, now it is 7 degrees too high. Other than that.....perfect.

Last summer, on the Natchez Trace, two up and loaded at 50 MPH, we averaged 64 MPG. Normally average around 55 MPG with combined city/highway.

GET ONE!!!

greenwald
05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Take everything 'dlowry' said to heart - he's right on with his more in-depth analysis of the R1200RT.

I too had problems with 'oil level indicator' and 'outside temp gauge.' Like you mentioned, it read nearly perfect till a software 'update' from BMW. Finally had the probe moved (twice) by the dealer technician to get a better read on the airstream, and now it seems accurate. Hooray!

Oil level readings are sensitive, but I think I've got it adjusted to where I get an authentic 'OK' each time now. A buddy of mine with an '06 R1200RT actually had to get his dealer to replace the oil sensor inside the engine to stabilize his readouts on the onboard computer. Either way, all is well now with our steeds.

As for 'CANBUS,' simply leave it alone. If you need to add accessories, wire in a fused panel to the battery and connect everything to that. Hacking into 'CANBUS' is like trying to start an IV in your aorta - not a smart move.

Awesome mount - enjoy it!

Ride safe.

Tom K.
05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Although I never rode an 1800 Wing, I traded my '88 GW 1500 on a '06 RR1200RT and have put 13k miles on it so far. Comparisons (IMHO):

Comfort - The GW was more slightly comfortable - but the RT's adjustable suspension (optional) & windshield (standard) go a long way towards equalizing them. Of course, I didn't feel the need for an aftermarket seat, windshield, barbacks, etc. on the Wing.

Handling - The Wing is a pig at under 20 mph, great above that. At nearly 300lbs. less, the RT is easy to maneuver at low speeds and is as stable as the Wing at highway speeds. (This was a surprise to me given the BMW's shorter wheelbase.)

Power - Either bike has plenty for touring, but the BMW is faster, both in acceleration and top speed.

Gas Mileage - about 37 on the Wing, 50 on the RT.

Touring Suitability - For 2 up, I'd take the GW or the BMW LT. Solo, the RT works best for me. (The Honda's bags & trunk are larger and a rack & small bag can be mounted. While the 49l BMW trunk is great, you cannot mount a rack on it.)

kbasa
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I was never an RT guy until we bought ours. I was concerned that it wouldn't be sporting enough or would be like driving a Buick or something.

I was wrong. Mine will hang pretty well with the sporting riders on the twisty stuff (within reason, of course), but will munch down a tank of gas without difficulty if I'm going somewhere a ways away.

I was riding it around and wondered why it felt funny in corners. I had to lever it in, then hold it down through the corner and flicking it back and forth was pretty odd feeling. I replaced the rear tire, which had flat spotted somewhat, but the problem still didn't go away. I took a closer look at the front tire and discovered it had been flattened - not on the center, but on the sides. At about 45 degrees on each side, the tire is completely flat.

Yeah. It'll go around corners pretty doggone well. :D

glwestcott
05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
My brother has a wing and I have an RT (older 1100 type). He lives in Tacoma and I live in Stockton, CA. We meet once or twice a year either half-way between or at one or another's houses for a long ride. This year he is riding down here in early May and we are heading off to San Diego and to see his daughter and then east to Arizona, southern Utah, Colorado, etc. We have ridden each other's bikes from time to time.

His wing, 1500, is definitely more comfortable on the long hauls on the slab and does well in mild twisties, but in those tight s-curves, I can flip back and forth quicker and easier than he can. I like my bike more because I also use it for daily commuting, and it is more nimble and somewhat smaller so easier to handle in traffic IMHO. If I wasn't commuting and could bring myself to once again go in debt, I don't honestly know which I would go for, a new 1800 wing or a new 1200RT. I guess it would depend on the amount of slab riding I would be doing.

I do like the fact that I have longer legs because of a bit better mileage and larger tank. Wish I had his electronic cruise, but if I bought a new 1200, I would definitely buy one with that as well as the ESA and other goodies.

Can't say which is better; both bikes seem to me to be well built and beautiful machines. I began on a 250 BSA too many years ago and I am constantly astonished by what is available now. Glad they didn't have Hyabusa's and bikes of that ilk when I was young. I know I wouldn't be here now if they had!:ha

professor
05-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Absolutely superb information. Thank you very much.

marcopolo
05-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Don't know whether this is a consideration, but the R12RT has one of the best load-carrying capacities out there. Yes, better than the Gold Wing, and a host of other sport-touring/touring bikes.

njnear
05-02-2007, 02:52 AM
TomfromMD has much of my sentiments.

I bought an '07 and have 2500 since Xmas. My other ride is a Concours.

BMW sits better (I have road pegs!) in a more upright position, handles much better and have seen 55 mpg if don't flog it (@ 65 mph). Vibration is NOT non-existant, but much better than the Concours. The Concours has a Corbin seat and the BMW seat can't touch the Corbin (still haven't decided on a Corbin or Mayer for the RT). I have 32" inseam and can't put my feet flat on the ground with the seat in the low position, but that doesn't bother me. Breaks are fantastic on the RT.

If you're pointing toward the other coast, the RT can't hold a candle to the Wing (out of the box). Maybe the LT could, but cannot comment on those. You won't get your iron butt on the factory seat but could on a Wing. Seat is too narrow and too soft on the RT. Have to look at the tach to see if the Wing is running. RT hates to be below 2,000 rpm and I still have problems killing it out of the hole. Quite embarrasing at a stoplight. I don't think you can kill a Wing. Keep the RT above 3000 and it's happy; above 4000 and things start getting exciting all the way to the 8000 redline.

RT is some 200+ pounds lighter than the Wing and it shows. Handling is nothing short of fantastic (not crotch rocket fantastic, but great nontheless). Love the removable luggage. Wing won't get much better than 40 mpg. RT takes 95 octane (try finding that at the convenience store), but can take 91 in a pinch. I consistently show 300 + miles to empty on fill ups. Computer is close to actual.

RT wants to be a sport tourer and is capable and fun. Will outrun the Wing and keep up during roll ons. Windshield is too short at highway speeds (I've ordered a 2" taller Cee Bailey). Also bought salamander weights for the handle bars (hate vibration). Didn't cure but helped.

Getting the RT on the center stand is super easy. Airbag not an option. Radio too expensive. Get the head guards (haven't functionally tested, but don't want to either!).

Good Hunting.

professor
05-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Donelson,

I was hoping someone with an '07 would respond. I noticed a couple of things you mentioned during my test ride: more vibration than I expected and I also found it easy to kill the motor - my Guzzi has a dry clutch too, but not as sensitive. According to the salesman, if you kill the RT, you are supposed to turn the ignition off and back on, then wait until a light comes on (or goes off) then re-start. That doesn't sound very practical at a traffic signal.

Other things you mentioned that I noticed is FUN and exceptionally good brakes. Quick stops are very quick and smooth with very little front-end dive even when using the front brakes aggressively. I didn't test the ABS.

I test rode a Wing and found it to have LOTS of torque at the low end (it should with 6 cylinders). I actually said "wow" before I had even left the parking lot. Even at slow speeds, it did not feel nearly as heavy as it is, but I didn't try any tight u-turns. The RT was more like my Guzzi - enjoying the 3k to 4k range - but the RT has significantly more power than the Guzzi and apparently gets better mileage. My 1100 cc Jackal seems to average around 38 mpg.

I also rode an LT and a GT, but like the RT best. The LT felt too heavy at slow speeds - the Wing seemed much better - and the ergonomics of the GT just doesn't fit me. Also for me, there is just something special about that boxer engine. There is a certain mystique that has attracted me since I was in my teens - a looooong time ago.

Thanks again for the information - and if anyone has anything add, I eagerly await.

maxfrankel
05-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Both great bikes but VERY different rides. Coast to coast on the interstate, 9 out of 10 will chose a Wing. For just about every other circumstance, the R1200RT simply is more fun to ride. And despite the substantial increase in power, the MPG improvement from the R1100RT is astounding (42 to 55 under comparable conditions)!

mewaybright
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
According to the salesman, if you kill the RT, you are supposed to turn the ignition off and back on, then wait until a light comes on (or goes off) then re-start. That doesn't sound very practical at a traffic signal.

I'm not sure about this but I can comment that this procedure is not what I did with my 05... since I came off of a K I think I killed it no less than oh... say 1 million times in the first week until I got use to the boxer motor, but now that I have over 11k on the thing we be riding...

I have to admit there was a good 20 years of technology between my first BMW and this one and it shows. The 1200 handles like a dream, I have upgraded the seat to a Bill M, put an AeroFlow WS, handle bar rise and back... I wouldn't trade it. There are some little things like the temp reading not being completely accurate but heck when it is cold I can say it's cold when it's hot I can say man it is hot. The oil level issue is a service bulletin fix which I doubt the 07 has... maybe even the temp thing is fixed with the 07. All in all the 1200 RT is an awesome bike if you enjoy riding... if you want to slab it does that well as well but I am sure not as well as the Honda, but for my money I am not on the slab all that often.

:thumb

Motorwerk
05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I have an '07 that was ordered at the end of last year, built in January and delivered in March.

No experience with a Wing but coming from an R1100R I can say the RT is one great machine.

We rented an '05 in Tucson last year, rode it for 850 miles and were hooked.

All the issues previously mentioned have been corrected. Oil level sensor, temperature reading, everything works. I had this concern but happy to say everything works well. The tire pressure monitor especially is really handy and having a fuel gauge is in another useful item.

Try to keep the revs up a bit at first when starting out. I had the same issue, killed it. Started right up without cycling the ignition. (No reason to cycle again as it has already gone through the startup sequence.) The R did the same in its early life. This can happen prior to wear-in and will improve with mileage. Mine has already seen improvement with only 700 miles. Soon it should pull away with ease.

While riding moderately sometimes 2-up its averaging 45mpg, which I think, is excellent.

Although I’ve only had it up to 5-6k, I really don't feel any undesirable vibration. It feels very smooth especially, compared to my R and as good if not better than the '05 we rented. And it had 16k mile on it.

The RT is incredibly well behaved. Better than my R even at low speeds. Even 2-up I'm impressed at how easy it is to manage. Did a lot of 2-up on the R and the RT is even better, well managed, better controlled, handles well and very predictable. Even shifting is fantastic. And of course solo it’s excellent as well. Can’t say enough about how well it handles. It’s manageability combined with the smooth engine response and comfort makes it an enjoyable motorcycle to ride.

Very versatile too, for 2-up, throw a top-case on and it’s a sport-tourer. Solo, take off the top-case and it’s a faster sport-tourer. Better yet, remove all the cases and have some fun.

It may not have the top speed or zero to whatever performance of the Wing but in manageability I can only believe it would out maneuver the Wing. For me there is enough power to get into trouble without considering something else. I test rode the new GT a couple times before deciding on the RT and while fast, its manageable and very maneuverable but the ergos are much different and not nearly as comfortable.

If you're close to a consensus and are comfortable with the ergos I would not hesitate on getting one.

If you need any additional info, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Good luck with your decision and keep us informed.

Motorradfahrer
05-02-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a '06 R1200RT which I purchased in August of '06. So fat I have logged 18,902 miles. Been North; West at the onset of winter. Been South slicing thru heat waves. Been buffeted and blasted by shore winds....all in all it's a great motorcycle and it's my first. I am a retired 62 year old chemist/engineer and this motorrad is second to none! I have just added a Uni-Go trailer hitch. I'll be heading out west two up this coming summer.

I added motolights at the brake caliber area. Added a Vtechnik windshield and low Sargent seats. My biggest complaint is the height of the bike, even the lowest low setting is a bit high. To allevaite this I purchased thick soled Harley boots. the 2007 R1200RT have dropped the EVO(power brakes), otherwise all is the same.
I average 38-52 mpg depending on speed. My oil consumption has finally ceased at 17500 miles. All new boxers consume oil until somewhere between 17000 to 24000 miles..this is their break in. Then after that narry a drop is consumed. This is also very normal. The bothersome oil light has been rectified with new firmware, but the temperature is still off by 5-8 degrees F.
It is a great bike and wants to be ridden, ridden and forever be ridden:german

kbasa
05-02-2007, 08:19 PM
How do you like that ZTechnik screen? They look pretty interesting.

SilverRT
05-03-2007, 02:19 AM
I sold my '05 R1150RT early this year and took delivery on a '07 a month ago. The 12 is ready for the 600 mile service but I have a few updates for the RT:

The oil level monitor works just fine.
The temperature gauge is still a few degrees off so I just do the math.
I've added some electronics and have experienced no issues with electronics.
I ordered all the options except for a radio and enjoy all of them.
With the large trunk I travel for business and have all the storage I need.
The tire pressure monitor is right on (within a 1 psi) and sure beats the manual check before the ride.
The ESA is nice for those short two up rides.
I did not want to let the '05 go but I'm glad I did.
I'm getting around 42MPG but expect that to improve after a few 1000 miles.

njnear
05-03-2007, 02:47 AM
[QUOTE=According to the salesman, if you kill the RT, you are supposed to turn the ignition off and back on, then wait until a light comes on (or goes off) then re-start. [/QUOTE]

Don't know about killing and haven't read it in the manual (don't need no stinking manual), but my concern is getting the "yell" out of the intersection and not interested in red tape at that point! Especially the second time and I'm out in the middle of the intersection! I've noticed the starter's not "hard wired" as there is some kind of relay and when you hit the starter the instant it dies, it takes a second before anything occurs. And a second in that situation seems like a lifetime.

Rode my Kaw this week to work, and noticed I was overly slipping the clutch on take off. Guess I need to stick with one plan and not try to be so diverse! Also noticed one finger on the break didn't cut it; needed at least 2. Oh yeah, and had to use the right foot pedal thingy!

I've also "tried" the anti-lock in the driveway at < 5mph. Works well at those speeds.

TONY2733
05-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Just trade in a 2006 goldwing for a 2007 1200RT , have 2300 mi. on the RT in one month and even forgot I had a wing. The wing is wonderful and there is no reason to say anything but good things about it, but it cannot compare to the handling and sportyness of the RT. I ride two up mostly and my wife loves the RT suspension much more then the wing, matter of fact she loves the RT.

Really they are two different animals, but if you use sportiness as the benchmark to select between an RT and a Goldwing, the RT wins hands down.

The last thing I can say is the Goldwing is sporty because when you make a turn it feels sporty turning in itself not so much because of the Wing, the RT is sporty and confortable just riding straight, in the turns even better, the RT makes the turns sporty and the turns make the goldwing sporty.

rtdavew48
05-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Went from a 2000 1100RT to an '06 1200RT. Flirted with a GW, a LT and a GT. At the end of the day went back to RT. Replaced the seat and windscreen with ones from Cee Bailey. Got a great deal on the seat after purchase of the windscreen they gave me 20% off the seat. Makes a world of difference and a step up from the Sargent I had on the 1100. Best feature is the adjustable windscreen, heated handgrips and the ESA. Now that I replaced the windscreen the stock radio can be heard at any speed. As noted by others it is all a matter of style. I truly feel the RT is the best all around bike, be around town, touring, or enjoying the twisty.

HIWAYMIKE
05-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I am having a hard time deciding to get rid of my fantastic '96 R1100RTL! I rode an '07 yestday and it is certainly a much different bike. The lighter weight was apparent immediately as was the smoother throttle response and extra ponies. Strangely, I felt I was on a smaller and perhaps less road-worthy bike. The smaller windshield may have contributed to this feeling, too.

The '96 is Glacier Green and IMHO one of the prettiest RT's made. The 3 color choices for '07 do absolutly nothing for me. So - do I give up a beautiful and reliable steed for one that is younger and more robust?

BTW - what is OPTION 650 - ASC? Even the salesman had difficulty teeling me why Anti-Skid Control is good and how it differs from ABS. The ABS on my '96 RTL seems to function similar to his description of ASC.

Sorry if I sort of hijacked The Professor's thread. I am in a similar situation as him!

Motorwerk
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Only you can decide what color is right for you. :brow

The ASC (Automatic Stability Control) uses the the ABS sensors to detect slippage by comparing the front and rear wheel speeds.

At about 3-5% (can't remember exactly now) slippage the engine timing is retarded to cut power. The option can be turned off if desired.

On the GS model it can be set to allow a greater amount of slippage thus a 3-position switch is provided.

This option will be required in all new cars within the next few years.

I did not get ASC on the RT as I felt its engine is not abudantly overpowered and will trust my right hand to engine output management.
If it were the GT that was also being considered the option may have been a more serious contender.

vmi1991
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I bought my 1200RT sight unseen on the second day they were available in the US, 2 April 2005.
This is ostensibly a fine machine that was so far carried me 52,276 miles through gale force winds (SD, NE, NM, AZ), monsoon rains (Charleston, SC), blistering heat (TN, VA, WA, NV), snow (TN, VA, PA, ID, MT, NE, NH), nasty traffic (USA), winding roads (Hells Canyon, Dragon, Catskills), too many interstates to mention and around town. The seating position is ridiculously comfortable for my 6'0" 200# body, no back pain even after 1300 miles. I love the humm of the engine as it settles in around 72MPH which is about 3800RPM in 6th gear yielding 49-52MPG of 90-93octane. This bike is also a great conversaton starter.

Now for the BUT(s).
I noticed last fall the bike was listing for $500 less than my sticker price yet it included a radio, ESA, and a BMW GPS...oh well, that happens to early adapters (e.g. iPhone).

The brake servo computer failed the first day after 31 miles. (Stayed in shop 17 days after owning it for 3).

A dealer burned a fairing during a service then argued vehemently that the side fairing is not removed for the service. Can happen with any product line.

The gear shifter fell off at 32,000 miles requiring the rear frame to be replaced (5 weeks I think it was in the shop.)

The closest dealer who could touch the bike within a month's time was outside the warranty tow area (all 3 closest were actually) costing me $85 in cash (major drama finding an ATM for the tow driver before he would load the bike and not to mention crushing the seat out of shape with the strap- it puffed back up while in garage).

The paint began flaking off the engine at 39,000 or so miles. Now the Al engine is oxidizing like mad.

The temp gauge was always 3-5 degrees under reality. After the rear-frame was replaced it was 5 under to 27 degrees over, make a guess. Had a dealer move it under windshield from rear and now it is within 2 degrees under, usually 1...respectable.

The ! symbol appeared on the computer at 6100 miles, 300 miles after a service and while I was in Hell's canyon about 140 miles from ANYONE, scary doo-doo, especially when this error symbol is not in the owner's manual. No one knew what it was. BMW eventually said, oops the oil pressure sensor doesn't work, come get a new one. Not seen the ! since, even when the oil IS low, e.g below sight glass.

Side bags sometimes will not open for love, money or a smile from Barry Bonds. Once, I was stranded for 2 hours in a NJ parking garage freezing in the 12 degree temp outside while trying to get my helmet out of the bag. Dealers say the bags just stick, sorry dude.

The left low beam light keeps burning out. This one is my 5th. Replaced the right one around 41,000 miles.

Oh, and today for the first time, the bike will not start. Yes, it has fuel in the tank. The thing turns over and over but no hit. No error codes showing on the computer either. Now Im stuck 340 miles from my house (but only 18 miles from work), fortunately the nearest dealer is only about 35 miles away.)

--------
Ok, would I buy a BMW again? The first 30k miles I thought so. After the rear-frame issue, Im not sure. Now with the non-starting bike that could be a faulty computer, I doubt it very much.

Since buying the 1200RT I have learned that Honda has a 3 year unlimited mile warranty for their ST 1300. Mine is grossly out of BMW warranty by mileage, but not age. Had I an ST, I would be golden in my current sticky wicket. For $500, Honda will double that warranty to 6 years and unlimited mileage.

Honda has more outlets than 7-11, Starbucks and McDonald's combined I bet...well not exactly that many, but just about every town >6,000 population I have ridden through has a Honda dealer. Matter of fact there is one just about 2 miles from where my RT is broken down, I could push it over there in less than an hour.

Oh, the ST 1300 costs about $4000 less than the RT.

I don't know. I hate to say I would go with Honda, it's like giving up my Mac for a Dell. But I would have to say that warranty is the trump card- 6 years no mileage limit beats the living daylights out of 3 years/36k miles or $1100 for another 4 years/max 100k miles.

Next time it is likely a Honda ST for me. Actually the bike is likely to be a KLM 650.

Hope this helps.
The RT is indeed fun to ride though. Also, I think it is darn tootin' purty.

deilenberger
09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Prof - the reason you're not seeing much here about the RT is - the R1200RT is a "hexhead" and we have a forum just for those bikes..

I'll move this thread over to the Hexhead forum - and bet'cha you'll get lots of info and see lots of info on the R1200RT..

deilenberger
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Now for the BUT(s).
Side bags sometimes will not open for love, money or a smile from Barry Bonds. Once, I was stranded for 2 hours in a NJ parking garage freezing in the 12 degree temp outside while trying to get my helmet out of the bag. Dealers say the bags just stick, sorry dude.

Dear ??? (a name would be nice..)

The dealer is showing some ignorance about the bags. The reason the bags stick shut is because they seal SO well that they pull a vacuum. Both my bags were next to impossible to open after tha bike sat in the sun (air inside bag expanded and pushed out past the seals) and then the sun went away (air inside the bag contracts - but can't suck past the seals - the harder it tries - the better the seal is..)

Cure - simple one. Did it on one side, been meaning to do it on the other - drill a 1/16" vent hold in the bottom of the inner liner. Do it towards the back. The hole doesn't even have to go through the outer shell - it just has to pierce the inner shell. This provides an air vent path to the outside world. I can about promise you - this WILL fix the sticking problem.

When you're done doing it - take it back to the dealer and who them.. mebbe they'll stop saying "sorry dude.." and actually think about what the problem was.

BTW - what's your name? Where are you located?

vmi1991
09-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Sorry about. The moniker is George and my home is now Waynesboro, VA, but I am working in Knoxville, TN for a few more weeks. Huh, whattya know? Both ends of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Well, after allowing the bike to sit for another hour or so, I went out to it, pulled on my gloves bent over and whispered some choice words I learned in the navy (then translated into German), and finished by saying, "Look you, cut the crap, let's go ride the Dragon." ... It started with a bare button push. Weird.

This behaviour reminds me of a Suzuki 550L I had a number of years ago. One morning it would not start, not even rolling off a long hill in 2nd. I traded it with my father for a car and he let it sit in the barn over winter. In the spring he took it to a shop and they put the key in, turned it over and it fired up! So, he takes it home, rolls it off the truck and nothing.... turns out the starter brushes were worn on one side only. When the rotor stopped with the worn side to the contacts, it would not start.

Could I be seeing a repeat in German? Any test/maintenance to check/prevent this?

George

oh, a tip to the RT1200 owners. Keep your tire pressure ALWAYS at 42PSI regardless of luggage or passenger status. The A&S Cycles guys tipped me to this and the last 3 rear tires went 17k, 6k, 18.5k. The 6k was killed by a screw.

The front tire went 25k, and the current one has 16k with the typical cupping my style of riding delivers cross-platform: Suzuki 550L, Honda 1200GW , Suzuki GS500E, Vespa ET 4, Honda Intruder and now the RT.

Antaeas
09-14-2007, 05:57 AM
I got my ’05 R1200RT in January ’06 as a showroom leftover with 600 miles on it, not enough for a factory demo discount, but Art Mischler gave me a break on it with the radio and some accessories. It is the first new motorcycle I’ve owned after 40 years of used ones. After 12,000 miles, I now know what I missed, and also have enjoyed its power, agility and comfort. It’s best motor vehicle I have ever owned. It goes and stops so well, I ride it for distances over 100 miles on a whim.

I prefer it over a Gold Wing or Harley because it does so many things so well: highway miles, back roads, and twisties. It will happily go 55 in 4th or 5th gear, then when John Law and Bambi are out of my way, pass everything in sight and reel in miles as I say “Wheee!”

It’s safe and reliable, so far so good. Mischler fixed the oil display; the temperature gauge is OK as long as I round to the nearest multiple of five. I added wiring from the speakers to my Shure earbuds, giving me noise reduction along with AM/FM/WB/CD in my helmet. I use a 95-cent Y connector to patch in my iPod, which sits under the clear map cover of my tank bag. Simplest solutions are best, I think. I wired a Garmin Streetpilot to the front accessory socket, and Hyperlites to the rear one.

I find that handlebar vibration is related to ergonomics (how much weight I put on my hands) and mechanics (how well the motor is running). Ergonomics: I don’t like to sit back, it puts too much weight on my spine, so I like to occasionally scoot my butt back onto the passenger seat and ride in s semi-crouch. That, and any change of position, helps on long rides. I use a Freedom Air pad to fill the gap between the two seats. It is slippery, so I add an Alaska Leather sheepskin. They are tied together, and snap off whenever I want to keep them cool and dry. They help me stay in the stock seat for two or three tanks of range. Your ergonomics may differ, but consider this: the stock seat and position are considered upright by world standards. Americans like to sit back as if they were driving a car. If you prefer riding Euro-style, leave the bars, pegs and seat as they are. My inseam is 32” and weight 215# This is a top-heavy bike, to be sure, so maneuvers at low or no speed require care. I have found that all heavy motorcycles have similar limitations with so much weight on similar contact patches.

Mechanics: if the motor is in tune, and the fuel is 95+ octane, my R1200RT runs as smoothly as any motorcycle I’ve ever ridden. A tank of bad gas will produce a noticeable buzz, I’ve found. Nowadays refiners are blending lower grades, because high-octane is more difficult to produce, and some retailers blend it again. I have seen a trucker offloading a tanker just move the hose from the filler hole for one underground tank to another. Maybe the resulting blend is barely legal, but since most buyers are buying 87 octane, no one complains. Find a retailer where you can get 95 octane, and you’ll be glad you did.

Tire pressure is not a big deal for me, as I don’t carry much weight. I agree that 42 p.s.i. does seem to help tread life.

Overall, the R1200RT is a great motorcycle. I named mine Artie, because it feels masculine, but arty too.

From one verbose professor to another, good luck!

easy
09-14-2007, 10:39 AM
You may want to hang onto the smaller stock windshield to save yourself from a little Texas heat.

I kept the stock muffler so not to affect the engine mapping.

My Oil light does not come on at half sight glass. That may be a computer glitch.

When the canbus is a problem, wire the accessory direct to the battery.

As with all BMW's that have shaft drive, check the rear wheel for wabble now and then to better detect early signs of rear end failure.

And I have not experienced any handlebar vibration.

You may want to get a better seat, if you go long distance.

Easy :german

Tom K.
09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Mechanics: if the motor is in tune, and the fuel is 95+ octane, my R1200RT runs as smoothly as any motorcycle IÔÇÖve ever ridden. Find a retailer where you can get 95 octane, and youÔÇÖll be glad you did.

Assuming you mean "pump" octane or (R+M)/2, can you really find 95+ in your neck of the woods? Here in MD, premium dropped from 95 to 93 more than 25 years ago. For awhile, Sunoco had 94 available, but that is also long gone.

Tom

gened12
09-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks Donelson,

I was hoping someone with an '07 would respond. I noticed a couple of things you mentioned during my test ride: more vibration than I expected and I also found it easy to kill the motor - my Guzzi has a dry clutch too, but not as sensitive. According to the salesman, if you kill the RT, you are supposed to turn the ignition off and back on, then wait until a light comes on (or goes off) then re-start. That doesn't sound very practical at a traffic signal.

Other things you mentioned that I noticed is FUN and exceptionally good brakes. Quick stops are very quick and smooth with very little front-end dive even when using the front brakes aggressively. I didn't test the ABS.

I test rode a Wing and found it to have LOTS of torque at the low end (it should with 6 cylinders). I actually said "wow" before I had even left the parking lot. Even at slow speeds, it did not feel nearly as heavy as it is, but I didn't try any tight u-turns. The RT was more like my Guzzi - enjoying the 3k to 4k range - but the RT has significantly more power than the Guzzi and apparently gets better mileage. My 1100 cc Jackal seems to average around 38 mpg.

I also rode an LT and a GT, but like the RT best. The LT felt too heavy at slow speeds - the Wing seemed much better - and the ergonomics of the GT just doesn't fit me. Also for me, there is just something special about that boxer engine. There is a certain mystique that has attracted me since I was in my teens - a looooong time ago.

Thanks again for the information - and if anyone has anything add, I eagerly await.

I have a 2007 RT and you do not need to turn off the ignition key to restart if you kill the engine by forgetting to go back to first at a stop light. Just press the clutch, downshift and press the ignition switch and off you go. Hope that helps:)

HOGnDAS
09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Sell you mine!. 07 blue rt bells and whistles

Antaeas
09-17-2007, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=TomfromMD;240175]Assuming you mean "pump" octane or (R+M)/2, can you really find 95+ in your neck of the woods? Here in MD, premium dropped from 95 to 93 more than 25 years ago. For awhile, Sunoco had 94 available, but that is also long gone.

My local Shell station owner USED to assure me that he had 95 (R+M)/2 at his premium pump. TODAY I found it's 93. He said that he couldn't get 95 anymore.

On my travels, I have taken Hobson's choice with mixed results. Canadian premium seems to have been better.

gulfcoastbeemer
09-21-2007, 03:12 PM
I had an '04 Gold Wing -- wonderful bike, just huge.

I didn't realize just exactly now huge the Gold Wing was until I made the switch to an '07 R1200RT. The R1200RT has many characteristics and features that are superior to the Gold Wing; notably among them better suspension and handling, better rider aero-dynamics -- thanks to an adjustable (on the fly) windshield, better brakes and longer range.

Also, and very significant to some, is your ability to order an R1200RT with exactly the options you want, and without the options you don't want. Try doing that with Honda's ridiculous progressive-option-tier-structure, requiring you to order every option under the sun -- short of the airbag -- just to gain ABS.

Of course, the air-bag is a marvel of modern engineering that could save your life. The only option after the air-bag is the Accord.

I still believe the Gold Wing is rather sporty for its immense size; but then again that's sort of like saying, "for a fat girl, you don't sweat much!"