PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT Oil Cooler Fans?

dlowry
04-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I seem to recall seeing something about the 1150 RTP having oil cooler fans. I've been caught a couple of times in dense traffic on the R1200RT and watched with much panic as the oil temperature rose rapidly. Does anyone have any thoughts if the 1150RTP fans would work on the 1200RT? Or, will the 1200RTP offer this as well?

Just trying to keep things cool...

Cheers!

Dave...

chrisz
04-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I looked at purchasing a fan for my 1150RT, but decided to make one myself. I took two 80mm computer case fans and attached them to the back of the oil cooler rad. As I couldn't find a suitable location for a toggle switch to turn on the fans, I picked up a thermal switch (90 deg C) and using conductive epoxy I mounted it on the exit side of the oil cooler rad, which I then wired it inline to the fans. Now If I'm in heavy traffic on hot days, I don't worry about the temp indicator going into the red zone (or shutting the bike down for a few minutes as I did previously). The fans turn on with the higher temps, I don't even hear them with the bike running. Once the bike is turned off, the fans go off within 5 minutes. They also draw so little current that its not an issue with battery life. Total cost was about $20 (CDN!). It was a fun winter project.:)

Rich
04-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Have you got a picture of that?

chrisz
04-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Have you got a picture of that?

Kind of. It just shows the thermal switch (held in place to allow it to set) and part of a computer case fan.

LTLJOHN
04-28-2007, 12:35 PM
There was a very nice write up in the ON last year about this . I am not sure which month but I am sure someone will remember. I will search back issues to see if I can find it.

SCHNELL_RS
04-28-2007, 04:44 PM
How has the fan held up to the weather so far?

chrisz
04-28-2007, 07:59 PM
How has the fan held up to the weather so far?

So far so good. I've conformal coated (painted with plastic wire paint) the PCA to prevent issues with moisture (just in case). But the whole thing is buried under the fairing, I doubt much moisture will see the fans. If they fail, they're cheap ($3 each ) to replace. It was done for giggles to see if it would work. I've done something similar with my VFR with the R/R. Installed a CPU fan (with heatsink) onto the R/R and wired it to the running tail light. The VFR R/R can't take the heat and within a couple of years fails due to high temperatures it sees. It worked on the VFR for a few years without issues.

twins4life
05-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Where did you get the thermal switch?

greenwald
05-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Contact John (BMW Master Tech) @ Nicks BMW of DePere, WI.

He put a cooler fan on my '05 R1200RT at my request, after I too got stuck in traffic last year and watched the temp gauge approach critical mass.

Just used it on a 90 degree day while held up in a traffic slow down in Indiana, coming back from a week in the Smoky Mountains - kept engine / oil temp where it should be, till I could get back up to speed.

LuckyLeif
05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
The hexhead RT is also sold in a modified form as an R12RTP for use by law enforcement, etc. If memory serves the RTP has a fan-assist on the oil cooler. I would think that you might be able to find a source for the fan and have an install on your RT. Happy hunting, and let us know of your success.

heavyjetpfe
05-29-2007, 06:00 AM
I spoke to my service department about the oil temp problems with my 07 1200RT.I was told that the fans is available for about $200 plus installation, The install includes reprograming the computer to recognise the oil cooler fan. I'm having the install done on June 5. I'll let you all know how it went later on.

heavyjetpfe
07-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I finaly got around to getting the fan installed on my Rt. unfortunatly the wiring harness is not the same for the RT and the RTP. I had to work out my own thermal switch to turn on the fan.

dlowry
07-17-2007, 12:08 AM
I finaly got around to getting the fan installed on my Rt. unfortunatly the wiring harness is not the same for the RT and the RTP. I had to work out my own thermal switch to turn on the fan.

Did you purchase the RTP fan? Have you got a part number you're willing to share with us? :brow

Cheers!

heavyjetpfe
07-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm in europe right now or I would dig up the part number. You should be able to go to your BMW dealer and order it through their parts department. I think the total price for the fan kit less the thermal switch was $219 and some change. I got the thermal switch from Summit Racing It cost $94 and is adjistable from 180 degrees F to 240 degrees F. Sorry I can't be more helpful at this point. Ron

heavyjetpfe
08-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Here's the deal on the oil cooler fan for an RT. I bought a complete fan assembly from my local dealer for a RTP. It's listed in the regular parts catalog. Sorry I don't have the part number. The fan assy cost $217 plus tax. The fact that it fits the oil cooler makes it worth it to me any way. I then went to the hardware store and bought a half inch "T" fitting (I used brass), two half inch barb connecters and a reducer from 1/2 inch down to 1/8 inch. price $13. I went to my local autoparts store and purcgased a Hayden Thermostat control switch, part number 3651. price $65. This switch is adjustable from 80 degrees F to 210 degrees F. I have mine set at 210 degrees and the fan turns on as my oil temp reaches the 3/4 hot mark. the oil temp will stay at the 3/4 line even in stop and go traffic. Once I get rolling again the fan cuts out midway between the half and 3/4 hot marks.

If anyone wants pictures of the instal or just wants to ask questions my e-mail is heavyjetpfe@hotmail.com please use R1200RT cooling fan in the subject line so I can find your mail in my spam folder. Ron

MCRIDER2
08-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I too have experienced the overheating problem when stuck in traffic here in Texas.

I took the advice of this site, specifically Ron and chrisZ, and purchased two 90mm computer fans and a 95 C thermal switch. I then went to my local Home Depot and purchased one inch angle aluminum stock. I cut the aluminum stock to length and then mounted the fans to them. I then mounted the fans to the back of the oil cooler and epoxied the thernal switch to the back of the radiator. It works perfectly - the tempature gauge now never goes above the half way point no matter what I do.

Total cost less than $40.00. If anyone would like pictures or more information feel free to email me at: mcrider2@sbcglobal.net.
Richard

lvaliska
10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok, here is the scoop. Ordered the BMW oil cooler fan from my Dealer, (California BMW, Mountainview CA.) They installed a PD R1200 oil drain plug which contains a relay. No switches. When the bike heats up, the fan comes on. I tested it in my garage, seems to work fine. Cost around $220. for the parts, and about 3 hours labor, but after a few hot days caught in stop and go traffic, I felt the cost was justified.
Lvaliska