PDA

View Full Version : K100RS/K1100RS Triple clamp interchange

CTab
01-02-2004, 02:32 AM
The short question: Are the triple clamps on a K1100RS and a '91 K100RS identical? The long version: I have a '91 K100RS that was wrecked in the front. The fork tubes were straight but the triple clamps were twisted and broken. The impact seemed to be more transverse than longitudinal. I replaced the triple clamps with '94 K1100RS parts but now it looks like the rake is much less than it should be, and the centerstand won't even reach the ground when the top of the fork tubes are flush with the upper triple clamp. My suspicion is tha the frame is bent near the steering tube but I'm hoping someone will tell me that the triple-clamps are different or something else. Also, I looked for visible frame damage near the front end and did not find anything. TIA for advice or ideas.

LORAZEPAM
01-02-2004, 02:41 AM
Look for a spec sheet on your bike and get the wheelbase. compare it to the wheelbase you have with the new triple clamps. you should also be able to find the rake and trail of both bikes published somewhere online, but I imagine that the fork rake is a product of the head angle moreso than the clamps.

CTab
01-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I measured the wheelbase and came up with 59", the book I have says it should be 61.6". The local dealer said 3% off was okay but it looks like I'm closer to 5%.
Oh well, looks like I'm gonna spend a weekend tearing the bike apart. Oddly enough, it looks like it is not as difficult as might be expected.

CTab
02-21-2004, 03:22 AM
The bad news from the frame shop is that my frame is bent, the worse news is that it is bent so bad as to be unfixable. Does anyone know what frames are interchangable with a '91 K100RS? I'm assuming that any K100 frame from the same year would be. Would a K75 frame fit ? Also, were there any K100 changes by model year that would prevent usage?
BTW, pulling the frame off the bike took about 90 minutes, with bodywork already off.
Thanks

kbasa
02-21-2004, 05:00 AM
I took a look and found a part number for a 2V K100, post 4/85 of 46 51 2 310 665. There's other notation, but I'm not sure what it means. It appears that there were different versions for the US market, but it's not clear to me. The 4V frame doesn't show a part number on my listing, so I can't tell you whether they're the same or not.

CustomSarge
02-23-2004, 10:19 PM
I've owned 9 Ks (6x75, 2x100, 1x1100) & built 3 up from wreaks. I pose :
1> a frame change goofs with your title, as engine numbers are nonmatching & not tracked (fact in MI; as seen on other states' titlework)
2> a good frame shop can fix/rearrange anything, my one custom K75 (see little pict) is raked 18 degrees.
3> In MI, a bent bike puts the liability on the seller since it isn't "stock", and usually carries a salvage, rebuilt from salvage, or scrap/constructors' title. I'd maybe talk it over with your dealer & others for how it is in your state. Legal recourse on the seller may be an option.
Also, while possible, I've never seen a stock machine with differing upper/lower triple clamps. I really screws up the steering geometries, on lean & rise. Only on aftermarket "pig" scooters have I seen this & they're the source of my steering info. Good luck, this is a sticky one.

kbasa
02-24-2004, 03:29 AM
Sarge -

Did you build this?

http://kbasa.smugmug.com/photos/434962-M-1.jpg

CustomSarge
02-25-2004, 12:11 AM
If I lied, the DNA evidence would get me anyway...,..

kbasa
02-25-2004, 12:32 AM
What else have you built? It'd be cool to get a show of what you've done. It's really, really unusual.

On this bike, I can identify a GS tank and what look like two RT fenders merged into one. I think the fairing might have started as a Parabellum Scout? Looks like RT bars too.

CustomSarge
02-25-2004, 01:35 AM
Right in 1 on the front fender being a stock front with another stock reversed behind. I was playing in Photoshop with a picture of a severely crashed '99 R1100RT. I'd just bought it as a project, stripped it down to what was still good: runtrain, frontend & front half-fender. While cloning & flipping the fender it just hit me as motif: art-deco. Everything else stumbled into place; a GS tank (big/bulbous but stock fuel situ), "street-sweeper" rear fender, and HD FL saddle bags that I've had widened 2" & molds made (note no hardware nose or tail, it's inside/electric). The upper half of fairing is '95 Triumph Daytona (aftermarket), it was the longest searched for part. Lower half is all handbuilt, its' "duck" appearance, while accidental, is due to wanting dual round (re:retro) headlights & providing an airscoop/flow to oilcooler. I've added a tinted shield over the headlights since & it drops the duck (some) for kinda bandit look. So much for an orbital pass on details of the Hot Rod.
As for others, MOA ON 11/03 has my K11LTX "tour unit" & 10/03 has a picture of me on the K75KS Custom in the Charleston Nat'l photo-montage. The K75KS & R11HR articles have been submitted to MOA ON & they'll publish them as they get space/time.
Also, B4 I 4Get, a big TNX for how to post an avatar (the K75KS) & for your steady guidence over baby Forums 1st year, may it have many more.

CustomSarge
02-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Duh, forgot... yes RT bars (weren't bent). And isn't "really unusual" PC for ugly? I can take it, you wouldn't be the first. It took all of a week for a subscriber to post a picture suggesting it to be the "ugliest BMW" at the WV Nat'l. Ahhh taste, ergo my tagline. I'll be PC and not mention the other taste that applies to.

kbasa
02-25-2004, 03:58 AM
:thumb

You go, Sarge.

CustomSarge
02-25-2004, 04:21 AM
I'll keep short, HD folks radically modify any/all aspect of their scoots, "we" don't seem to change jacque merde unless it can be bought & installed. I want to foment a sense that this is not scripted, we just started out with a base object that really doesn't "need" change. However, personalization is a common thread for both. Perhaps it starts with "envelope pushers", rare as we may be, to espouse the notion that just because an engineer states that "this is what it should be", IS what it should for YOU.
I'll go a little nPC.. One step worse than hearing a German engineer say that something is "exactly as it should be" is BEING a German engineer hearing it.

P.S. Design Engineer by training/profession, German/British ancestory.

CustomSarge
02-25-2004, 04:44 AM
please replace "espouse" with "debunk"