PDA

View Full Version : TPM for R1200GS

ChasBrink
03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I received a recall notice from BMW in December to have the TPM checked on my 2007 R1200GS. The dealer subsequently removed it and recalibrated the on board computer. I understand that the recall only affected the valves on the the spoked wheels, with a possibility that they might leak at an inopportune moment. Does anyone have any updates/additional info regarding this? :dunno

Motorwerk
03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Apparently, they have just recently figured out the issue and it will be available again soon. As mentioned, this only affected the spoked wheel equipped bikes.

The dealer should have given you a choice of keeping the parts for you in the hopes of a fix or refunding you the cost of the option.

ChasBrink
09-15-2007, 02:51 AM
This recall didn't effect that many bikes. According to it's report to the NHTSA, BMWNA claimed the recall effected 144 R1200GS's. 77 GS's (manufactured between Sep. 06, 2006 - Oct. 13, 2006) and 67 GSA's (manufactured between Aug. 30, 2006 - Oct. 12, 2006).

I sent the following email to BMWNA on Aug. 23, 2007, regarding the recall (#06V-486):

"My BMW R1200GS motorcycle was affected by the above captioned recall in January of this year. The TPM's were removed and the computer adjusted by my dealer, Sierra BMW, in the same month. It has been seven months, and my dealer has indicated that no solution has come down from BMWNA. When are you going to fix this?"

BMWNA followed up with a canned email response within a few hours:

"Thanks for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your R 1200 GS. We appreciate your interest in our brand.

Please feel free to give us a call directly. We would be happy to discuss your situation in person.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time."

BMWNA then followed up with a telephone call before the end of the day. The conversation was substantially that BMW Germany hadn't notified BMWNA of a fix yet. I countered that there was indeed a fix, ergo TPM's on the '08 models; and that it seemed that perhaps BMW was waiting out the small number of us effected by the recall to either forget about it, sell the bikes, or accept the imprudent option of having our money refunded for the original TPM option. The CSR said that he did not know if I was correct, he could feel my pain, and that he agreed with me. How's that for walking the fence.

At any rate, that's the latest as of Thursday, Aug. 23, 2007. I'd sure like to encourage the other 143 of you out there to send BMWNA an email or make a phone call.

ChasBrink
09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Here's my latest missive to BMWNA:

What is the status regarding this issue? I want my TPM replaced. I think that waiting nine months for you to resolve this issue is ludicrous. You have corrected the problem on the 2008 models, now its time for you to fix the issue on my 2007. Please do not telephone me unless it is a telephone call to tell me to take my bike in to have the TPM reinstalled.

And the BMWNA response:

Thanks for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your R 1200 GS. We appreciate your interest in our brand.

Unfortunately, BMW has still not released any information regarding the retrofit of your TPM. I apologize if this response falls short of your expectations.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,
Jay Williams
BMW Motorrad USA

ChasBrink
10-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Got an email from my favorite Service Manager, Scott McKay, at Sierra BMW. BMW has decided to resolve the TPM debacle!!! Parts have been ordered and the fix is near at hand. :clap