PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT Radio Questions (moved from Oilheads)

gulfcoastbeemer
03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
My wife and I both have factory radio equipped R1200RT bikes -- her's is an '05, mine is an '07.

When cycling through the various modes of the radio using the CD* button, I notice there are "INTERCOM" and "AUX P1" settings. What are these settings used for on the R1200RT, and could the "AUX P1" be used for something like hooking up an iPod?

The radio is confusing enough as it is, and I can't find anything in the Owner Manual that addresses this.

Thanks for your help.

jdiaz
03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
The manual for the radio on my K1200LT was thicker and more comprehensive than the owner's manual. Are you sure you got all the books from the dealer?

gulfcoastbeemer
03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
The manual for the radio on my K1200LT was thicker and more comprehensive than the owner's manual. Are you sure you got all the books from the dealer?

Yes, I have the radio manual, entitled, "Operating Instructions (US Model). Audio System BMW Professional 2000".

On pages #12-13 all it said is, "Selecting the operating mode; Switch on the audio system, Press the CD/* buttom repeatedly until the desired operating mode is enabled. The operating modes are enabled in the following order: Radio, CD Player, AUX: external device, e.g. MP3 player, INTERCOM: operating readiness for an intercom, no radio mode."

That's all the manual says about AUX mode. Where is the input plug/socket for an external device? Etc.

Did I mention this radio is confusing! Ugh! :confused:

wezul
03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Man, am I glad I opted out on the radio. Bought the big iPod and pocketed the difference.

gulfcoastbeemer
03-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Man, am I glad I opted out on the radio. Bought the big iPod and pocketed the difference.

Thank you for the smug, self-congratulatory reply. Good luck in your continued efforts toward saving your way to prosperity. While it didn't do squat to answer my question -- it did serve to "bump" my thread. :thumb

Now, if I can just get someone with this radio installed in their R1200RT to respond it would be appreciated. :type

kbasa
03-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Thank you for the smug, self-congratulatory reply. Good luck in your continued efforts toward saving your way to prosperity. While it didn't do squat to answer my question -- it did serve to "bump" my thread. :thumb

Now, if I can just get someone with this radio installed in their R1200RT to respond it would be appreciated. :type

Have you removed the radio and inspected the back of it for input possibilities?

wezul
03-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Wasn't intended that way, apologies!

gulfcoastbeemer
03-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Have you removed the radio and inspected the back of it for input possibilities?

Yes, it looks just like a BMW Professional 2000 radio made by Becker Automotic Systems. The back of the unit has an unused plug port -- nothing that would be directly usable for anything like an iPod. I understand there is a "BMW Automotive" plug that adapts to this unit, but this only takes you part of the way there.

There are others who have jury-rigged a setup using the BMW Automotive cable and a cheesie breadboard power amp to boost the input the BMW radio.

But, I have to believe BMW has other intentions. Why would BMW allow the display of "INTERCOM" and "AUX P1" options if there were none?

gulfcoastbeemer
03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Wasn't intended that way, apologies!

No harm -- no foul. I'm just a little frustrated with this issue.

dancogan
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, I have the radio manual, entitled, "Operating Instructions (US Model). Audio System BMW Professional 2000".

On pages #12-13 all it said is, "Selecting the operating mode; Switch on the audio system, Press the CD/* buttom repeatedly until the desired operating mode is enabled. The operating modes are enabled in the following order: Radio, CD Player, AUX: external device, e.g. MP3 player, INTERCOM: operating readiness for an intercom, no radio mode."

That's all the manual says about AUX mode. Where is the input plug/socket for an external device? Etc.

Did I mention this radio is confusing! Ugh! :confused:

I'm sorry I can only offer a guess, not an educated opinion. My guess is that the radio is the same basic radio chassis they used in the R1200CLC I used to have. That radio offered the same display. There was an add-on to the radio, that mounted in one of the saddle bags, to provide an intercom. If I remember correctly, the AUX could be used, through the intercom system, to hook up a CB radio, and perhaps other inputs.

gulfcoastbeemer
03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm sorry I can only offer a guess, not an educated opinion. My guess is that the radio is the same basic radio chassis they used in the R1200CLC I used to have. That radio offered the same display. There was an add-on to the radio, that mounted in one of the saddle bags, to provide an intercom. If I remember correctly, the AUX could be used, through the intercom system, to hook up a CB radio, and perhaps other inputs.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks Dan.

BRADFORDBENN
03-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Do you have the Becker part number? I am a little surprised to see the Becker Part Number as my understanding was that all the BMW motorcycles were Clarion products as BMW did not want to put all their eggs in the Harman basket.

sudani
03-03-2007, 04:39 AM
No harm -- no foul. I'm just a little frustrated with this issue.

You get an honest ta-god apology and this is your response! I lived the "gulfcoastbeemer" life for 5 years...your response doesn't surprise me.

Old/retired/owns the road.....Shame on you! Sorry if I bumped your thread.

:nono

sfarson
03-03-2007, 04:45 AM
gulfcoast... could point your browser to:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/748784/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

where iPod connectivity to the R12RT radio is discussed. How-to images included. Does look a little hairy but there is a way. At this forum you can also search on "iPod" and find several threads on this. HTH.

Steve

RocketCowboy
03-03-2007, 05:07 AM
My understanding is that there is a BMW kit to add the Aux connector to the RT's radio harness. This would then allow you to connect an iPod into the radio, and listen to it using the Aux setting.

I'm still confused about the Intercom setting myself, but the comment about this radio being similar (or identical) to the CLC radio with Intercom option makes sense to me. The RT's CB option has the radio connecting to the CB along with the headsets, rather than the other way around, but can see where this is probably standardized for other bikes like the CLC and/or LT which have options for onboard intercoms.

jdiaz
03-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Do you have the Becker part number? I am a little surprised to see the Becker Part Number as my understanding was that all the BMW motorcycles were Clarion products as BMW did not want to put all their eggs in the Harman basket.

I'm pretty sure the last Clarion units were the vertically mounted AM/FM/Cassette decks used on the K1100LT/R1100RT. Its been Becker since the K1200LT came out IIRC.

JimKane
03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
This may be what you are looking for:

"For fidelity, I recommend the BMW Aux. input cable from Bavarian autosport bavauto.com . Part number 82 11 0 149 389. The cable plugs right into the back of your radio in the AUX socket. This will only work if your radio has an AUX function that is currently not used. My LT is a 2002. You plug your XM into the female side of the cable and you have fantistic sound. As an extra bonus, you can plug any audio source into this cable like your MP3 or IPOD. You won't get music info but you will get great sound and volume speed adjustment as well. "
I found this on the BMW LT site.

Jim

Harrington
03-05-2007, 01:04 AM
This may be what you are looking for:

"For fidelity, I recommend the BMW Aux. input cable from Bavarian autosport bavauto.com . Part number 82 11 0 149 389. The cable plugs right into the back of your radio in the AUX socket. This will only work if your radio has an AUX function that is currently not used. My LT is a 2002. You plug your XM into the female side of the cable and you have fantistic sound. As an extra bonus, you can plug any audio source into this cable like your MP3 or IPOD. You won't get music info but you will get great sound and volume speed adjustment as well. "
I found this on the BMW LT site.

Jim

I've installed the aux. imput cable on my 12RT. I pipe my Zumo through it. Unfortunately the volume is too low and a preamp is required. I've still looking for the perfect setup. I tried a boosteroo and it wasn't enough. I'm currently using a modified AmpliRider which I hardwired to the bike. It's still not enough and the AmpliRider needs a minute or so to warm up. I've posted in a few threads on BMWSporttouring and have a few more options available.

The IPOD hookup to the auxillary port supposedly doesn't have this problem.

Antaeas
03-05-2007, 03:11 AM
I researched this topic for my '05 R1200RT. The AUX and INTERCOM settings are for BMW stock parts: the system designed for the R1200LC and K-bikes is called VOICE, and starts at $750. There is also a CB / intercom unit that rides on the left handlebar. They want $700 for that little thing, plus installation.

I chose to install a StarCom Advance intercom / audio device for routing radio and iPod sounds to my helmet. This device was reviewed the the July '06 BMW Owners' News (p. 74).

As a solo rider, I don't yet have any use for the intercom / CB / cell communication functions, but this device allows me to do that anytime. I suspect that BMW is leery of allowing headphone or helmet speaker setups for liability reasons. I think that you don't see earphone jacks near the driver in any stock motor vehicle for that reason.

What I did was connect the StarCom to the radio speakers with a simple cable, available for the manufacturer or California Sport Touring. I didn't need to ask my BMW tech, who had avoided this topic all winter anyway.

It's been too snowy, icy and cold here lately to road test my new StarCom, but my garage tests show that I can easily switch from radio to iPod by turning one or the other on or off. A microphone must be connected to power the system, and the voice-activation feature turned down, but that is an easy adjustment to make before a ride. I use StarCom's connector to my Shure canal-buds, which are noice-cancelling, so I can have a quiet ride and can turn off the audio entertainment whenever want to hear traffic noise. I find that earphones or earplugs don't diminish my alertness too much on Wisconsin back roads, where visibility is a greater concern. In a city, I don't use them so I can hear as well as possible

I'd be happy to consult with anyone about my Starcom and my installation according to Occam's Razor (simplest is best).

Cask23
10-27-2007, 12:50 AM

I must admit that I laughed outloud when I read this reply. Anyways, we gots to hang together or surely we will hang apart.

((Shameless plagerism it is, but true)):kiss

Harrington
10-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I have the auxillary cable installed on my 05RT. I've tried the Boosteroo and the Amplirider preamps. Neither did the job. The volume is still too low and muffled. BMWSporttouring has threads IIRC with the Canakit preamp. I haven't gone that route yet. I'm currently just running a wireless FM transmitter to pipe my Zumo to the radio. I would also like to see if anybody has piped in a FM modulator (wired antennna) to their bike.

nortonrt
10-27-2007, 02:52 AM
You should consider getting an on-board audio unit that can be used to negotiate all of the audio equipment on your bike. I use Autocom on my '03RT and it works really well. Since you already have a radio with speakers on the bike, you can get their part #1319 (http://www.autocomamerica.com) which connects to your radio's speaker outputs and routs it back to the Autocom unit (stowed under the seat or in the back storage area). The radio functions as the amplifier, so you don't need Boostarros, or the like. I also have the GPS audio plugged into the Autocom, and an MP3 player. I use it also for bike-to-bike communication. ItÔÇÖs not cheap, but it works very well, and it is effective.

BUT - check on your state laws regarding helmet speakers - several states prohibit them.

deilenberger
10-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Moved to hexheads where it might garner some useful answers..

hoss07rt
11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
I talked to my dealer and they recomended the stock BMW radio prep ( antenna, speakers, and wiring) and then installation of a car stereo. I did the radio prep and then had a clarion marine radio (same as a car stereo just a little more moisture forgiving) installed with XM radio. The face of the stereo also has an auxilery jack (iPod or any MP3 connectable). In addition I had a Clarion marine wired remote cluster (only available for the marine models) installed where the BMW stereo controls would normally be (left side ferring) . This has worked out fantastically. The sound quality is great.

TGA57589
11-09-2007, 09:10 PM
With the advent of the Zumo that has capability of playing music from an SD card has anyone given the radio thing a thought? I was wondering how I could add speakers in my R12RT '07 and use the Zumo jack to feed speakers in the stock location of the RT. Now I know I would need speakers like the stock but I wonder if this could be done. Maybe though I just tinker too much?